Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/30/2001 12:11:09 PM EDT
Just do the math.  The civilian AR production figures posted elsewhere on this site for 1999 indicate 120,000 new AR's.  If every one of these new rifle owners ran out and bought a dozen mags you're talking about a million and a half magazines!  

Add up the production figures for every year since the ban in 1994 and it's easy to see how the mag supply will eventually dry up.  Even if 1999 was a banner year for civilian AR production using a conservative number like 50,000 sold per year for 1995-2001 adds 3.5 million ARs to the float since the ban!

Sure, the math is flawed.  Some people won't buy 12 mags, but others will buy 20 or 30.  Some of these rifles will find their way into homes that already have AR's and no extra mags will be purchased...

Link Posted: 7/30/2001 12:53:58 PM EDT
[#1]
But LOTS of those new buyers can only legally buy/own ten round mags. More for us!
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 12:56:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 1:03:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
But LOTS of those new buyers can only legally buy/own ten round mags. More for us!
View Quote

How do you figure that one?
View Quote

Maybe they live in Kommifornia, MD, or a few other police states?
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 1:06:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Devil's Advocate
Nuts
There are a Cajillion of them out there and more in every armory in every town in the US!
The prices have been coming down for six months.
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 1:19:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Bud,

Maryland sucks, but we can OWN any AR-15 magazine, including a Beta-C 100 round dual drum magazine.

We can't BUY any mag over 20 rounds in this state, but that doesn't stop anyone from driving to a Free State like VA or PA and buying a proper size magazine.
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 1:19:10 PM EDT
[#6]
About the above.
There are several states that do not allow the importation of high capacity magazines. After a certain date. Last year I think.
California
New Jersey
And a few others
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 1:21:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Sure, the math is flawed.  Some people won't buy 12 mags, but others will buy 20 or 30.  

View Quote

If the ban sunsets, and they don't pass a new one, we may be OK. Don't count on it though. That's why I fall into your latter group, although 30 is a little low...

[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/029/JU/YN/k7/Vu72991.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 1:25:49 PM EDT
[#8]

*sniff* *sniff* something I can never legally own [>(] damn you Canada!
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 1:32:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
and more in every armory in every town in the US!
View Quote

but even if they are the pre-94 ones we need, didn't clinton say that no more pre-94s could be surplused to civilians? I mean if Joe Blow National guard works in an arms room and his co tells him to get rid of a bunch of old mags, and he does so by filling the bed of a pickup with them, perfect. as long as they are pre94 and unmarked theres no proof where they came from.
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 1:35:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure, the math is flawed.  Some people won't buy 12 mags, but others will buy 20 or 30.  

View Quote

If the ban sunsets, and they don't pass a new one, we may be OK. Don't count on it though. That's why I fall into your latter group, although 30 is a little low...

View Quote

Gus you better start buying more as that's a rookie attempt at stockpiling[:P]

pics to follow.....
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 1:41:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

pics to follow.....
View Quote

Oh I know - but then again, I've added another 30 or so since that pic was taken, and I'll be adding a C-Mag soon.  Still, I can't hang with some of you "big dog" magaholics.....BTW - ever seen any like these?

[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/025/yk/nm/pu/h787278.jpg[/img]

[8D]
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 1:45:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

pics to follow.....
View Quote

Oh I know - but then again, I've added another 30 or so since that pic was taken, and I'll be adding a C-Mag soon.  Still, I can't hang with some of you "big dog" magaholics.....

[8D]
View Quote

rome was not built in a day an neither is a mag collection. keep buying when ever you can afford it & you'll be right there with the big dogs[:D]
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 1:57:13 PM EDT
[#13]
You also have to consider even though that there are new buyers of ARs and mags everyday, there are also those who already own, who are selling their mags and even their ARs for one reason or another.

Go to any decent gun show or browse the internet and you'll see hundreds and hundreds of AR mags for sale. Some at high prices, some at low. But they are available.

And if it comes to the point where you can't find any mags. I'm sure there will be people like [b]gus[/b] with a large collection[:)] who may consider selling you a couple. He may charge you an arm and a leg, but the mags are still for available sale.

It will be a helluva long time were it comes to a point where hi-cap AR mags are unavailable for sale at any price.

Link Posted: 7/30/2001 2:54:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Things gun related rarely dry up. They will always be available only the price will change.
Just like pre ban rifles, there is a finite number of pre ban mags out there. Pre ban rifles will always be available as people will sell them whether in estates or otherwise.
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 2:59:15 PM EDT
[#15]
One thing you need to consider is many AR owners own more then one and don't always buy 12 mags for EACH rifle, or course some do.
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 3:09:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

pics to follow.....
View Quote

Oh I know - but then again, I've added another 30 or so since that pic was taken, and I'll be adding a C-Mag soon.  Still, I can't hang with some of you "big dog" magaholics.....BTW - ever seen any like these?

[8D]
View Quote

looks like standard 30rd mags package in bags from Vietnam? eastern europe?  store them somewhere safe.
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 3:45:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Gus, where did you get the Vietnamese mags? Are those unused?
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 4:03:59 PM EDT
[#18]
I myself don't think they will dry up any time in the near future.  There are just to many floating around.  Last show I went to I couldn't believe how many mags I saw!  Stacks and stacks,  mostly random contract mags, but many many colts.  Although I am buying them up as fast as I can.  I buy many of mine through the mail, not the best idea.  R-Guns burned me on some Colts a month ago, these mags were barely serviceable, initials carved in them, some with paint etc..  Now I buy most of mine at shows.  I'll slow down when I have a few hundred.[:)]
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 4:13:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

pics to follow.....
View Quote

[8D]
View Quote

Where did you come across those and who are they manufactured by?
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 4:14:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 4:20:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Gus, where did you get the Vietnamese mags? Are those unused?
View Quote

They are brand new. When I first got them I asked about them in the mag forum:  [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=22035[/url]

Since then I have aquired two more of these mags from a completely different source, which I found on gunbroker.com. As far as I'm concerned the fact that there are more of them out there proves that they are legit NIW, not some repackaged fraud. My best guess after a lot of checking around is that they were made by Colt during the closing days of the war, with Vietnam being the direct customer (not going through the US military at all). The writing is definately Vietnamese, and the mags are otherwise standard Colt 30's except that the floor plates make no mention of caliber (no .223 or 5.56mm markings). Like I said, I now have four of them put away. BTW, I've only paid about $35 each for them so if all else fails, I paid market value for NIW Colt mags.
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 4:29:16 PM EDT
[#22]
I don't think you should be as concerned about the supply drying up as you should be about current and pending legislation banning the importation of hi-caps AND banning the sale and trade of pre-ban mags.  This latest BS from the demorats is what will really shut down part of our beloved hobby.
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 5:51:45 PM EDT
[#23]
well if their drying up it's because I'm buying them all[:D]
[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/027/m0/od/ww/nN59508.jpg[/img]
[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/030/rw/nA/UA/nT21155.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 5:53:09 PM EDT
[#24]
you can get the 10/22 mags (at least it looks like there a few of those in the pic), brand new ones in fact from what I've heard about canada

Quoted:

*sniff* *sniff* something I can never legally own [>(] damn you Canada!
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 7:27:35 PM EDT
[#25]
NYshooter - after counting my mags, I think we are either neck and neck or I might be slightly ahead!  That is if those are current pics.
Right now I have:
60 USGI (including Colts and the Viet mags)
36 Thermolds
8 Orlites
16 20 rounders

Of course, I'm not done stockpiling yet (does it ever really end?). I currently have four guns to feed and there's always the possibility of more guns coming along too.

Not that we're in competition, but just to show some of the non-magaholics how sick those of us with the disease really are!  I think Troy said he had upwards of 1000!

We're probably both small fish in this game....

[:D]

Link Posted: 7/30/2001 7:51:35 PM EDT
[#26]
here's the break down not including the several hundred mags I have for other firearms

AR15/M16 mags

5 niw usgi 30rd
20 95-100% usgi 30rd
30 60-90% usgi 30rd
23 50-95% usgi 20rd
20 orlites
30 thermolds
4 usa brand 30rd
2 90rd drums
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 8:37:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 9:21:09 PM EDT
[#28]
I agree at some point the preban 30s and 20s will dry up to an extent. I have always seeked the answer to just how many were made. Of course the Military uses them as considers them "throw aways" whether currently or back prior to '94.

But lbj kinda thinks that the figure of those made would astound us all. I would think as a guess 80 million at least prolly more. I would think it will take another 20yrs for all of them to hoarded and not offered for sale. Plus preban mags from all over the World will continually be smuggled in.

Wanna insure any item is available like forever? Ban it. That insures people will smuggle and meet the demand. Wanna really lower the demand and supply? Legalize it.

But most of us here know this. It ain't rocket science.  
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 9:29:08 PM EDT
[#29]
I agree at some point the preban 30s and 20s will dry up to an extent. I have always seeked the answer to just how many were made. Of course the Military uses them as considers them "throw aways" whether currently or back prior to '94.

But lbj kinda thinks that the figure of those made would astound us all. I would think as a guess 80 million at least prolly more. I would think it will take another 20yrs for all of them to hoarded and not offered for sale. Plus preban mags from all over the World will continually be smuggled in.

Wanna insure any item is available like forever? Ban it. That insures people will smuggle and meet the demand. Wanna really lower the demand and supply? Legalize it.

But most of us here know this. It ain't rocket science.  
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 9:35:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Shit I only have 10 mags I need to make a run over to FA soon dont I.
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 10:31:27 PM EDT
[#31]
.......Troy has upwards of 1000.

Damn, there goes my self-esteem.

Of course, now I dont feel guilty about my stash.

AR mag #s:

-85 NIW USGI 30s (various mfr. mostly parsons & center)
-30 New, no wrap USGI 30s (Okay Ind.)
-30 95%+ USGI 30s (various)
-6 85-95% USGI 30s (various)

-39 Colt 20s including around 15 of the earliest .223 marked mags (0-95%)
-2 Adventureline 20s (85%)

-1 Thermold 30

Total: 193 AR mags.

That's sick. What's even sicker is now that I know I have about 193 AR mags, I'm going to have to come up with seven more to make that a nice even 200. Haha!

Link Posted: 7/30/2001 10:35:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Get more Thermolds!!
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 11:05:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Here is my entire inventory.
[img]www.mcuzi.com/imbroglio/mag.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 1:30:44 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
here's the break down not including the several hundred mags I have for other firearms

AR15/M16 mags

5 niw usgi 30rd
20 95-100% usgi 30rd
30 60-90% usgi 30rd
23 50-95% usgi 20rd
20 orlites
30 thermolds
4 usa brand 30rd
2 90rd drums
View Quote

Ok, ok, you're definately in the lead!!!  Even discounting 4 targets (USA mags) you're well ahead.

[:D]
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 2:25:14 AM EDT
[#35]
Hey Imbroglio, I feel like we need to sponsor you like those needy third world kids on TV.
       [;)]
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 3:05:27 AM EDT
[#36]
Imbroglio - that's funny as all hell!! - and I love that member logo - what a hoot!!

Tate
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 3:58:35 AM EDT
[#37]
With guys like Gus and NYshooter, no wonder the Mags are drying up.  They bought them all!
BTW Gus, those Viet mags are collector items. I too will look out to get some of those myself.
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 4:03:24 AM EDT
[#38]
M16 mags will never " dry up".
There are zillions out there.
As time goes on they will go up in price.
But somebody will always sell them for a price as long as someone else will pay.

Didn't Saturday morning cartoons teach you anything about supply & demand?
[8D]
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 5:14:40 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 6:03:12 AM EDT
[#40]
You all are forgetting that pre-94 mags are also importable from other countries.
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 6:07:42 AM EDT
[#41]
I ran into a guy a few months back that told me he was sitting on 100,000 contract mags.  Don't know for sure if he was telling the truth or BS'ing.  May have to try to find him.
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 6:44:59 AM EDT
[#42]
I just keep an eye out for AR mags at places that I wouldn't normally think to find them (like older gunshops that don't sell ARs). I've a modicum of success in finding mags this way, including a batch of 18 used mags I picked up for ~$2.75 each from a shop that just had them in the bottom of a box of stuff. I counted then out and asked the guy how much he wanted for all of them. When he said $50 you couldn't have blinked in the time it took for me to hand him the cash :)

Link Posted: 7/31/2001 7:27:21 AM EDT
[#43]
Mags will never dry up.  They will get smuggled in like drugs, or imported.  How about getting the stamped ones marked for LEO only?   I see those popping up all the time.  
Also, you really think that those AK mags are really from 94?   Boris just tells customs it is, and how are they going to prove otherwise?
Carbon-date the whole bunch?  
Laws are made to be broken, and everyone here will be breaking laws in the future.
c-rock
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 7:30:02 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Laws are made to be broken, and everyone here will be breaking laws in the future.
c-rock
View Quote

[purple] The only law that is being broken here by anyone is the 2nd Amendment of the Constitution of the U.S. It has been infringed(broken) by those who really deserve to be punished and serve time for.[/purple]
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 8:38:01 AM EDT
[#45]
C-rock hit the nail on the head. Post ban hi-cap mags are coming into this country every day - and that makes me happy [:)]

Tyler
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 9:00:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 9:07:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Derek45 is right, as far as preban AR 30 round mags go, as long as no import ban goes into effect, there is a nearly inexhaustable supply out there.  The military must have had tens of millions of them made.  There are probably huge stockpiles of them in warehouses and armories all over the country.

And even if I'm dead wrong, how many do each of us need?  I own at least 20 now!  That's more than I can carry at any one time.  Get some bandoleers!

c-rock is right on the money also--we are all going to be law-abiding criminals soon enough.  Hell, in NC you can now be arrested for selling glass tubing because it is "drug paraphernalia."  What can't they do?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top