Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/29/2001 3:41:40 PM EDT
ok. are teh taurus PT92s junk, or a good deal. are the real deal by beretta worth the extra cost, ( less than a hundred $s i think) for that ammount of money i would about say the hell with a copy, i want teh beretta. but if the taurus is just as good, i might reconsider. anyone own a taurus PT92
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 3:52:34 PM EDT
[#1]
mattsd:   anyone own a taurus PT92
View Quote

Yeah,,, can't complain.
I don't know why (There's more than one reason), but I'd pay the extra $100 for the Beretta.
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 3:53:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I would go with the Beretta, I have a 92fs and it looks and functions flawlessly.[:D]
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 3:56:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I own a stainless Taurus PT99AF,have fired some 5000 rds thru it without a single malfunction.Dont know how much more a Berreta runs,but PRE BAN MAGS ARE much cheaper for the Taurus.That should be a major consideration.
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 3:56:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 4:00:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Striker,I missed that point.The safety on the Taurus is superior.
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 4:05:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 4:06:09 PM EDT
[#7]
The Taurus is made on Beretta machinery setup to fullfill a Brazilian contract. The PT99's are less of a copy and more of a clone.

I don't own either pistol but I have sold several of each. If I were to buy a full size 9mm I would go with the Taurus. Mostly because I am partial to the frame mounted saftey.

You will not be disappointed in either pistol. However, you can buy several boxes of ammo with the money you save buying the Taurus.

Choose the pistol on the basis of the safety's location. That really is the only difference.
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 4:12:26 PM EDT
[#8]
I never owned a Taurus or a Beretta, I have a Jeep Cherokee though. [:D]

Seriously, my first handgun I bought and still have is a Beretta 92FS 9mm. I probably put around 3000 rounds through it without a malfunction yet.
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 6:06:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
,but PRE BAN MAGS ARE much cheaper for the Taurus.That should be a major consideration.
View Quote

i thouht they used the same mags. someone straighten me out on this one
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 6:19:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
,but PRE BAN MAGS ARE much cheaper for the Taurus.That should be a major consideration.
View Quote

i thouht they used the same mags. someone straighten me out on this one
View Quote

Berreta mags may work in the PT92-99 models, as they are practically a clone. I just trust the Taurus mags more. Some slight refinements to the design (mostly cosmetic) have been mad over the years, and while I don't know if the official specs have changed on the mags, I would just use Taurus. They ARE cheaper, and the safety's higher and definite "cocked and locked" position is a major bonus for me.

I have a PT92 that I put maybe 250 rounds through so far. I don't get to shoot much, but every time I pull the trigger, it works, and is reasonably accurate. 15 round PROMAGS are still just $15 from CDNN, and they work so well that I bought ten. Shooting magazine did a torture test back in the early '90's on the 92, and after passing 10,000 rounds with flying colors, was still banging away.

With such cheap mags, and a reliable gun for $350 in like new shape, the Taurus is a keeper.

Juggernaut
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 6:23:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Think of a weapon as an investment, a Beretta will hold its value MUCH longer than a Taurus. I would never buy a copy when I could have the original for $100 bucks more.
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 6:35:51 PM EDT
[#12]
I doubt that you will find the Beretta within a hundred bucks of the Taurus. More like $200. That said I would spend the extra 100 if needed to get a Taurus over the Beretta. Yes, you read that right. The Taurus has the frame mounted safety and can be carried cocked and locked. I've got the Beretta and the wife has the Taurus. Try as I might she will not trade with me.
BTW, mags will not interchnage without some mods. The release notch is not in the same location.
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 8:01:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 8:15:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I doubt that you will find the Beretta within a hundred bucks of the Taurus. More like $200.
View Quote

acually, to buy new from gunfinder, the diffrence is like 50$
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 5:54:43 PM EDT
[#15]
I have had a Taurus PT99 for almost 10 years and love the gun, and I have never had to use the lifetime warranty 1 time. I like the safety on the Taurus, but I think that the Beretta has a little better trigger pull in double action. I would recommend the Taurus just because of the warranty and the lower cost.
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 6:52:18 PM EDT
[#16]
other than the position of the decocker. there is no difference. no difference in accuracy, reliability, or detail.

i've owned both. the berreta's have a better finish, but you should buy your taurus stainless anyway.

9'd lib
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 7:36:24 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a Beretta 92 and I hate to admit it, but it's as accurate and reliable as my Kimber which costs 3 times as much.  Taurus is supposed to be a good product too though.
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 7:59:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Great info on this thread.

The mag release notch [i]is[/i] different in size, with the Beretta notch being a tad tighter in the top to bottom dimension.  The Taurus notch is a bit looser and the mag will "rattle" when placed in a Beretta.

Also, there is a slight dimensional difference in the 9mm/.40 feed lips, so mix and match at your peril.  Maybe they will work, maybe they won't.

The Beretta has tactile firing pin block that rises from the top of the slide when the trigger is pulled back, loaded gun or not, and safety on or not.

I also think the use of the word "safety" is a misnomer on any gun. It is more of a fire control system.  The safety is in your head, period.

If you think about the Beretta system as a light switch, then the gun is ready to fire/the lights are ON, when you flick the switch UP.
When you flick the switch DOWN, then the lights are OFF.  
You must "flick the switch" to get the desired result.  Simple and "safe".
The Beretta slide mounted safety is "UP/FIRE!" or "down/decock/safe".  

The Taurus 3-position safety/fire control can be manipulated past the desired  point to decock when you want to fire---oops. And, there is a big hole in the gun where all kinds of things can find there way into...

( I've applied the 2-position safety/fire control idea to my long guns as well; they are either ON or OFF.  No middle of the road or too far one way. )

I've been ultimately satisfied with my Berettas. At one time was looking at the Taurus PT-99/AFS-D in 9mm because I liked the way the gun looked.  And I had 3 17-rd. Ram-Line mags for it.  I offed the mags and changed my mind on the Taurus ( in favor of a Beretta 96FSC Stainless).
I prefer the .40 caliber for my purposes.

I hope this gives you a bit more to mull over.
One last thing is to pick up each brand and listen to what your mind says when you pick them up.  Try it with your eyes closed, too.  Weird, maybe.  Effective, definetly.
Good Luck and like my old Uncle Tony used to say: [b][blue]"Getta Beretta..."[/blue][/b]

Link Posted: 7/30/2001 8:53:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 9:17:38 PM EDT
[#20]
thanks for all the info guys, i will take it all into consideration. i will just have to fondle each
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 10:06:18 PM EDT
[#21]
OK, I'm sure I'm going to get flammed for suggesting outside the post, but have you considered a Browning Hi-Power?

Even though Browning discontinued all but a few models, you can find tons of used pistols in like new condition.  Plus there are literally thousands of pre-ban Hi-Cap mags.

Just a thought from a Condition 1 John Browning fan.  Good luck with your choice. [pistol]
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 10:15:16 PM EDT
[#22]
libertarian:
other than the position of the decocker. there is no difference. no difference in accuracy, reliability, or detail.

The Taurus is made on Beretta machinery setup to fullfill a Brazilian contract. The PT99's are less of a copy and more of a clone.
I don't own either pistol but I have sold several of each.
You will not be disappointed in either pistol. .
..safety's location. That really is the only difference.
View Quote

[b]No, you will not be disappointed with either pistol.[/b]

Where are you boyz getting this info that there's no difference except for the safety?

They appear to be very similar at first, but there ARE substantial differences in the two pistols. For one, they use completely different locking blocks.
Don't believe me - disassemble both, you won't believe how two pistols that look almost identical on the outside can be so different on the inside.

They're both reliable, but only one [u]stays that way[/u] past 2,100 ~ 2,500 rounds.

That's not very important to most users (less than 4% of all owners put more than 3,000 rounds through any handgun).
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 10:24:11 PM EDT
[#23]
223s.: OK, I'm sure I'm going to get flammed for suggesting outside the post, but have you considered a Browning Hi-Power?
View Quote

What flame...
The Hi-Power is the "most natural pointer" ever made, it's easier to handle, carry, & shoot than the heavy, fat, giants listed above.
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 2:29:35 AM EDT
[#24]
Beretta, Beretta, Beretta, Beretta,  and I can repeat it about 1000 more times if you would like.  I've owned a Taurus, I own a Beretta.  The Beretta has some different design features and also locks up tighter.  The Taurus is very simular in design to the Beretta but has a frame mounted safety, the Beretta has a slide mounted  safety.  My Beretta blows away the Taurus I had in every respect.  The Taurus if thats the one you want will shoot fine for you, but the Beretta is the better gun.
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 3:46:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top