Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/29/2001 12:36:15 PM EDT
Well I am curious as to how the majority of you shake hands.

As we all know, maybe, that shaking hands was an old custom to show that both parties were/are un-armed.

Well any case. Here's how I do it. Look em in the eye. Grasp hands firmly and give one good  but unjarring shake. Let go. I do the same both for men and women.

So how many do it in much the same way.
Do you differ you hand shakes based on gender?
Do you shake vigorously any number of times?
Do you just make a brief contact and let go?
Do you grasp with both hands?
Do you grasp the hand and one hand on the shoulder or arm?
Do you do the old intricate grasping and bump knuckles deal and say "yo homie wad da dealy yo"
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 1:32:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

1.  Do you differ you hand shakes based on gender?

2.  Do you shake vigorously any number of times?

3.  Do you just make a brief contact and let go?

4.  Do you grasp with both hands?

5.  Do you grasp the hand and one hand on the shoulder or arm?

6.  Do you do the old intricate grasping and bump knuckles deal and say "yo homie wad da dealy yo"
View Quote

1. Nope.  Firm grip, look in the eye, shake [i]twice[/i]
2.  no
3.  no.  shaking is required IMHO.
4.  Not usually.  
5.  If I know the person, and am happy to see them.
6.  Won't dignify with a response.

What I hate--When someone gives you a weak, limp grip.  Or when their hand is practically horizontal.
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 1:36:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I used to shake womens' hands a lot lighter, but some nice lady told me not to do that.  They hate limp handshakes as much as men do.  

I don't like it when I go to shake a guy's hand, and he gives me the alternate "arm wrestler" shake, or the surfer shake or whatever.  It throws me and when I return the shake it's all unnatural and contrived for me.  I feel like a dork.  
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 2:33:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I never shake a woman's hand unless she offers it first, then I turn my palm up and give a slight squeeze with one barley visible gentle shake. For men I grasp firmly and shake once with eye contact. For close friends the same except I may add the hand on the shoulder or a firm hug or both.
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 2:44:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I don't like it when I go to shake a guy's hand, and he gives me the alternate "arm wrestler" shake, or the surfer shake or whatever.  It throws me and when I return the shake it's all unnatural and contrived for me.  I feel like a dork.  
View Quote

Exactly, that's the reason for my post. Lately I've been going on interviews and I always get a variation of a handshake. Throws me off all the damn time.

I hate those people that do give that arm wrestle side to side hand shakes. That's not right in my book.
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 2:44:39 PM EDT
[#5]
When you're shakin' hands with the man, if you shake it more than once your playin' with yourself. [:)]

Seriously, I shake hands about like you lordtrader.  I usually shake womens' hands a little less firmly, but that is because they usually shake a little less firmly in return. I try to match the other person's firmness.  I hate it when men shake like a limp wristed sissy.  I usually don't have a problem if women shake like that though.

Interestingly enough, I don't hug, shake, or otherwise ritually touch my closest friends.  It seems to me that I only shake or hug family, business associates, or people at church or such.  I guess me and my friends are not the touchy feely type.
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 2:46:14 PM EDT
[#6]
1. Yes, I usually give women a gentler shake than I do a man.  I know they don't like it, but I am afraid of hurting them.  I have strong hands from years of karate practice.

2. Never vigorous.

3. A formal 2-3 shakes. I hate when people pump my arm like an old water spigot.

4. I only use both hands if it is a hot babe.

5. No, only the hands touch.

6. Normal handshake on first meeting.  I may greet my homies with a knuckle bump "boyeeee", otherwise a swear word.  I almost never shake hands with people I already know.  The only time it comes up is during introductions.
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 2:51:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I shake hands only when I have to.After all,you dont know where that hand has been!
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 2:58:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 3:10:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Lordtrader, I shake hands almost exactly like you. And I also hate it when poeple have some kind of variation.

I mean, a handshake's a handshake right?

With girls, I tend not to squeeze as hard.

If a guy doesn't give a firm handshake, I generally get a bad feeling.

To let you know how important I feel about handshake's and first impressions, I NEVER remember a persons name after being introduced. It goes in one ear and out the other.

I'm always more concentrated on the handshake and looking them directly in the eyes.

Anyone else have this same problem?
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 3:19:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Bowing is more sanitary and seems to be saying something other than "I have no weapon in my right hand.  John Adams hated to shake hands and preferred bowing

Any cheek kissers out there?  Could be a good alternate with chicks.
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 3:32:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

As we all know, maybe, that shaking hands was an old custom to show that both parties were/are un-armed.
View Quote

acually, i didnt know that. its very intresting.

also, you all have put much more thought into this than me
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 3:44:31 PM EDT
[#12]
an old friend of mine I hadn't seen for while now works with me and he's one of those types...well actually I think he's just trying to be like one of those types, y'know whenever a jock type walks into a room the greetings are always real loud and he's gotta give handshakes all around. Well I think my old buddy is trying to be like this he's too soft spoken to be loud but he has to shake everyones hand all the time know matter how well ya already know him, no problem yet except he's got this just WEAK limp noodle shake, nothing there with these thin pale weird delicate looking crypt-keeper hands with long bony fingers. It's insulting to say the least and kida creepy, like geez get outta the chatrooms for one day and work out or something sometime. he's also the one who thought he was a badass cause he spent $1000 on a pss and thought it would make a great shot out of him. didn't get it sighted for over 3 months and when we did that he has to pause every 6 or so rounds to rub his shoulder and say ouch. it's a .308 ya wimp. sorry I'm venting, my buddy needs to MAN-UP and there's nothing I can do about it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 3:44:42 PM EDT
[#13]
BWAAAAHHHAHAAAAAAA

[url]http://members.tripod.com/roadrage13/handshake/handshake.html[/url]

Link Posted: 7/29/2001 9:17:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Annoying:

1. "Limp Fish":  If there's no sign of injury or arthritis, I start to wonder about the sincerity of someone who doesn't squeeze back, male or female.

2. "Oh no, you don't": A. Grabs you well before the full meshing of the thumb & index finger areas. B. Turns their hand or tries to turn yours.

3.  "Crusher".  Uses twice the average strength or more.  I give it back in spades, making sure to get the little bones, though if they seem to be compensating I'll give them a break.  

4.  "You're mine" Overly familiar, keeps shaking and shaking.  Some salesmen or politicians (including office politicians) will do this when you've met them for the first time, as if you're blood brothers or something.  Also that alcoholic uncle will do this.

5.  "Sweaty palms" An uncomfortable surprise, but this can be a medical condition unrelated to lying or insincerity, so I don't let it bother me.

6.  "One shake"  Not that big a deal, but I like two or three.

[red][size=4]PRK [/red][/size=4]
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 9:52:06 PM EDT
[#15]
I do the home boy hand shake.

Link Posted: 7/30/2001 3:29:15 AM EDT
[#16]
We don't shake hand....We bow...and we commence fight.
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 10:52:02 AM EDT
[#17]
thought i'd weigh in on this one.

i shake hands like a man: firm grip, couple of shakes, DIRECT eye contact.  i also repeat his/her name in the greeting (i.e. "nice to meet you, bob." or "hi, susie, it's nice to meet you.") because i can't remember a name to save my life unless i repeat it about a thousand times while looking at the person.

i can't stand shaking hands with a woman who offers it like she wants me to kiss it instead of shake it.  i imagine you guys dislike that also.  i also don't like men who barely grasp my hand, although some men just don't know how to shake a woman's hand, i kinda understand that.  used to be a time when women didn't shake and if they're closer to that era in age than today's, then i wouldn't expect a lot of difference.  and i don't mind saying "OW!" if the doofus is trying to show off and be a bruiser.  and i say it really loud so everybody around can hear.  there's just no point in causing pain in a handshake.  actually defeats the purpose of the handshake in the first place.  well, today's purpose.
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 11:49:46 AM EDT
[#18]
OK, so my assumption is that everyone pretty much shakes hands much like I do. I will consider that normal then.

So why do people put in variations. One I really hate is the "arm wrestle side to side" hand shake, or the " jar your teeth vigourous" hand shake. Where the hell do these guys learn this. There oughta be a school to get this standardized.
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 12:41:24 PM EDT
[#19]
With a man a firm grip and two or three "pumps" are considered correct.

With a woman grasp her hand firmly but gently, rotate your clasp hands until hers is on top for the sake of discretion and then delicately tickle her palm with the tip of the entertainment finger of shaking hand.
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 12:44:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Yep. A hardy hand clasp here.
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 1:22:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 4:15:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
With a woman grasp her hand firmly but gently, rotate your clasp hands until hers is on top for the sake of discretion and then delicately tickle her palm with the tip of the entertainment finger of shaking hand.
View Quote

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!  which is exactly what i'd be doing if you did that to me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top