Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/28/2001 3:08:20 PM EDT
I have been leaseing a truck for about 2 1/2 years of a 6 year lease and cant afford to pay anymore. What is the cheapest and best way out?

$440 a month and selling price was $30,000

Thanks for any suggestions
Link Posted: 7/28/2001 4:20:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/28/2001 4:32:25 PM EDT
[#2]
If it were "stolen" by bad people, your problem would be solved.
Link Posted: 7/28/2001 4:40:51 PM EDT
[#3]
This is my wife typing, She sells cars.

There is no way out of a lease this lease at 2 1/2 years maybe when you get it down to one year at the earliest.  If you try you can be
held responsible for the remainder of the payments as well as the residual factor at the end.  The residual is the estimated value of your vehicle at the end of your lease which should be on your contract.  Sorry to here that you were treated that way.  Basically it is cheaper to stay with what you have if you try to trade out you will put yourself in a worse situation.  Only other advice I can offer is to find a responsible person to take over payments for you?
SCARS wife
Link Posted: 7/28/2001 5:01:29 PM EDT
[#4]
This was on the boob tube here last night. If you can get someone to assume the balance of the lease, you may be home free. They listed this website as a place to go [url]http://www.swapalease.com[/url]
Link Posted: 7/28/2001 5:17:09 PM EDT
[#5]
A telephone pole at 40mph should work....
Link Posted: 7/28/2001 7:31:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

yeah but only if he lives & the car gets totaled by the insurance company
Link Posted: 7/28/2001 9:43:37 PM EDT
[#7]
NV to Chula Vista isn't too bad a drive.
Link Posted: 7/28/2001 10:17:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Six YEAR lease? What kind of car did you get? What dealer let you do that?

You really can't get out of a lease, unless you find someone to assume it for you.

Otherwise, if you just pull up to the dealership and return the car it generally goes down as a repo on your credit. Whether you have the car or not you signed a contract with them to give them $31,683 over six years. I can't imagine they'd let anyone out of a contract like that.

Six year lease? That defeats the purpose of a lease. (Getting yourself in a new car every three years with out the matinence probs that generally pop up around year 3 or 4 of car ownership.)

Never ever lease a car with the intention of buying it. A lease is just an excuse for more fees to be thrown in if you intend to buy a car after you lease it. The buyout price is generally much higher than the actual value of the car because it figured at the time you lease it and not when you turn it in.

ANY dealership sucks because no matter how nice they seem thet're still trying to screw you!
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 5:52:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Burn it!
Have it stolen.
Where in the hell were your neurons?!!
6 yrs at $440 is not smart!
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 6:01:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

yeah but only if he lives & the car gets totaled by the insurance company
View Quote

I can assure you that ANY modern car that strikes a telephone pole at 40mph is going to be totaled. However, the skeptical might want to try driving it off a bridge instead. Heavy water damage is another quick way to total a car.

Michael
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 8:15:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ouch... Any other suggestions
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 8:47:26 PM EDT
[#12]
First, you reach down and grab both of your ankles...

Link Posted: 7/29/2001 8:56:57 PM EDT
[#13]
RipMeyer,
If you have GAP insurance.
Empty car of valuable contents leaving some items that can be associated with you, NOT any form of ID.
Park car in bad neighborhood with keys on seat in plain sight.
Viola.
I won't get into that lease deal.
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 3:33:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Uh, kidding aside, leased cars, especially the type of lease you have, generally receive A LOT of investigative scrutiny when they turn up burned or missing. Watch your a$$, as those options appear more and more appealing as fiscal woes grow.

If you go back to the dealership, give the salesman who screwed you a wedgie.
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 9:50:26 AM EDT
[#15]
poor poor poor Rip...I take it you never did a quick calculation: 12 months X 6 yrs X $440= $31,680.  Damn, but you must have sore hemoroids. Let this be a learning experience for you.
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 9:59:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Ouch... Any other suggestions
View Quote

Yep....wear your seatbelt.
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 10:01:59 AM EDT
[#17]
I had a friend that was in a bad lease.  He had some life downturns and needed to get out of it.  He went in to the dealer, and told them a sob story (the truth).  He explained his situation, and that if they did not help him he would end up defaulting.  They actually renegotiated his lease, and gave him a better deal on a purchase.  They really did not want the car back, so it worked out better for both of them.
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 10:28:53 AM EDT
[#18]
First of all an auto-lease is for suckers. You pay for the car every month for 3-6 years and then you give it back and have nothing to show for your money! That is called renting.

How do you get out of the lease? Well, how bad of a hit can your stand on your credit? If you can take the hit then just walk away. Either take the car to the leasing co and hand them the keys, or just stop paying on it until they Repo it. We dont have debtors prisons in the US.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top