Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/28/2001 8:04:23 AM EDT
Reloading Hirtenberger surplus .308 after firing in my Savage FP10. A large number of these cases were hard to extract on firing the first time and will not fit my wilson head-space and OAL guage before sizing. That means that I have to FL size and not neck size to reload. Some seem to do the same thing on second firing after resizing and trimming. Is the brass too soft? Do I need to FL size with a small base die to move the shoulder back a few thousands because the Lee sizer is closer to minimum head-space(less brass working) than some? I also dropped the powder 2 full grains in some re-loads to see if my near-max loads were blowing out a too soft brass(I am yet to fire them. Please! Any ideas on what  is happening cause the Talon mixed Lake city and Tz(Israeli?} brass works fine!
Link Posted: 7/28/2001 9:27:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Hello Loader, I noticed the same thing.  I have a DSA FAL STG58 and it runs on any ammo at the same gas setting.  With Hirtenburger rounds I have to turn the gas way up or I start to get failures.  Stovepipe and failure to fully eject mostly.  I thought it was my rifle and not the ammo because usually Hirtenburger is pretty good stuff.  Also have you noticed that the butllets themselves are stell jacketed with a copper wash.  Not a real copper jacket.  I dont think that has anything to do with the case problems.
Link Posted: 7/28/2001 1:04:13 PM EDT
[#2]
DO you mean we are shooting our barrels out mich faster with Hirtenberger .308 and steel jackets? Man, I hope not since thats the only accurate .308 I own! Thanks, I will check it out.
Link Posted: 7/28/2001 1:25:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Loader, put a magnent to them and the magnet will stick.  The range master said that Hirtenburger have a mild steel jacket.  It has a copper wash to help them not damage barrels. It was pisser because he wouldnt let me shoot them against his back stop.  I did sneak a few in and what do you know.  MUCH more sparks than the regular generic winchester.308s that I was shooting.  Also the damn this stovepiped, until I increased the gas.
Link Posted: 7/28/2001 7:10:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Not all Hirt. has copper-washed steel jackets. The Hirt with red sealer around the primers is all copper jacketed lead. Green sealer is the magnetic stuff.
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 6:06:19 AM EDT
[#5]
I have been shooting radway green. The british stuff and I have had no problems. The stuff is accurate and clean. Not expensive either. I get 400 round can for 75 dollars and that includes tax. I think 1000 rounds are 140 plus tax.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top