Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/21/2005 4:33:13 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/21/2005 4:34:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Kill that hotlink! We don't hotlink to DUmmie land.

ETA: I see you changed the link. Good.
Link Posted: 10/21/2005 4:35:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/21/2005 4:43:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Its the same thing as Carbon fiber but insted of using graphite fiber it uses buckyball tubes.
Link Posted: 10/21/2005 4:45:43 PM EDT
[#4]
WOW, I want a barrel made of that stuff!
Link Posted: 10/21/2005 4:46:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Working with a material 10 times lighter than steel - but 250 times stronger - would be a dream come true for any engineer. If this material also had amazing properties that made it highly conductive of heat and electricity, it would start to sound like something out of a science fiction novel.

Now that's not such a good property for body armor....
Link Posted: 10/21/2005 4:51:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I remember buckballs when they were being researched - didn't the c60 get into people's lungs and cause inflammation akin to asbestosis?

How'd they fix that?

Link Posted: 10/21/2005 4:54:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/21/2005 4:54:48 PM EDT
[#8]
It said "IF" it was conductive.
Link Posted: 10/21/2005 4:55:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/21/2005 4:59:38 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
WOW, I want a barrel made of that stuff!

I'll take heavy barrels, if you don't mind, they help dampen recoil.

But a Suppressor made out of that stuff would be interesting.
The way they talk about the way it dissipates heat would make for some very light, very strong, very cool (literally) sound suppressors.
Link Posted: 10/21/2005 4:59:52 PM EDT
[#11]
tag
Link Posted: 10/21/2005 5:04:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/21/2005 5:06:48 PM EDT
[#13]

Time to get rid of the Shuttle and build the elevator Authur C Clarke wrote about.
Link Posted: 10/21/2005 5:09:44 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Materials like this are the sort of things we need to develop in order for us to leave this planet and colonize others.   And I think that they will lead to exactly that.

Actually,  thermal conductivity in armor would be a good thing as thermal conduction means energy dissipation.   That's good if you have a lot of kinetic energy that needs to be dissipated as heat.

CJ

Works both ways, CN body armor would radiate body heat, unlike Kevlar which insulates.  It would be more comfortable to wear.  As long as you put a layer of some kind of cover fabric to keep the sun off the armor panels that is.
Link Posted: 10/21/2005 5:12:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Did you see this?

Because it has an unusually high current-carrying capacity, a film made from buckypaper could be applied to the exteriors of airplanes. Lightning strikes then would flow around the plane and dissipate without causing damage

Good by EMP! It was nice knowing ya...

The Luddites who dream about the EMP bomb wipeing out modern civilization must be severely disappointed.
Link Posted: 10/21/2005 5:12:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/21/2005 5:18:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/21/2005 5:32:22 PM EDT
[#18]
So where can I buy a few sheets????

Do you need a Buckypaper saw to cut it to size, if so, add one to my order!

Imagine car panels made out if this, or security doors, knives.........WOW!
Link Posted: 10/21/2005 5:40:44 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

You hit on something with the knives.

#1 safety warning with all the variations of "Buckeypaper" or CN fabric so far.

WATCH THE EDGES

You get the paper cut from hell, they tend to be very thin and very sharp.

Oddly enough other than as a safety notice, the sharp edges get no press compared to the other features.
Link Posted: 10/21/2005 5:43:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Why don't we just use cheap industrial diamonds, crush 'em up into a mixture, and form them into inserts for vests?
Link Posted: 10/21/2005 5:56:05 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Why don't we just use cheap industrial diamonds, crush 'em up into a mixture, and form them into inserts for vests?

Been tried,  and the end result was not very impressive.  Cracks between the diamond crystals.

If you could make a plate that WAS a single diamond you might have something.

CN has most of diamonds properties, but is a lot easier to fabricate things from.
Link Posted: 10/21/2005 6:04:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/21/2005 6:15:16 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

My guess is that it is very expensive, but I'm sure that they are researching how to manufacture it as inexpensively as possible.
Link Posted: 10/21/2005 6:28:40 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My guess is that it is very expensive, but I'm sure that they are researching how to manufacture it as inexpensively as possible.

Theoretically CN should be fairly inexpensive- its carbon after all.  The rest of the process is energy and various solvents, most of the solvents can be recycled.  Its very expensive right now because its so new that no one knows how to manufacture high quality tubes in quantity-much less actually possess the machenery to do it yet.  There is some hesitation from the fact that techniques are changing so rapidly that investors are afraid to comitt to a technique only to have someone turn around the next week and obsolete it.  

Another problem is that with the existing processes for making CN feed stock you dont get just ONE kind of CN fiber.  There are single wall (SWNT) and multi-wall (tube in a tube, MWNT) and then in each kind there are at least three different "twists" to the arrangement of the buckyballs in the tube walls.  Each has different properties, but they are all so close to each other in size and weight they are difficult to seperate.
Link Posted: 10/21/2005 6:47:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Another advantage of heat dissipation would solve one of the major problems with body armor-over-heating the wearer. You'd be more comfortable with a higher level of protection in hot weather.

Also pay attention to the Space Elevator mentioned above. You probably have no concept of how that would revolutionize space travel and exploration, as well as life here on earth. The benefits would be hard to overstate.

Instead of calculating dollars per pound of materials rationed into space for a supplying an exploratory mission, you could transfer almost unlimited quantities of raw materials, water, fuel, structural components etc. into orbit which could then be put into flight without expending most of your fuel just getting tiny amounts off the earth. Mission planners would not be nearly as excited about finding water or other esentials on the moon or mars because that becomes much less important when it is easy and economical to take what you need with you from Earth.

Or, transfer all the building materials you need up the elevator and build an orbiting research center, hotel, city for the handicapped, rest home, hospital-all the benefits of earth a short shuttle and elevator ride away.
Link Posted: 10/21/2005 6:57:39 PM EDT
[#26]
And here I thought you were talking about something invented by this famous physicist...

or was that "fish-assist"?
Link Posted: 10/21/2005 6:59:08 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
images.amazon.com/images/P/0974651710.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Time to get rid of the Shuttle and build the elevator Authur C Clarke wrote about.

Yeah, fuck that. I wanna get Robert Heinlein on somebody's ass.

Link Posted: 10/21/2005 7:50:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Thats what Im talkin' bout!

I always figured the darn things to be more slim, and not so bulky......

How about using buckypaper to line Nuclear power plants to help contain everything, or little boxes they could put over potential IEDs to contain them in a more safe fashion? Can I get a replacement hip out of one? And my darn coat hangers would never bend again I tell you!
Link Posted: 10/21/2005 7:57:46 PM EDT
[#29]
A company already exists to build a space elevator.

They are already doing balloon tests of the climber that will run the CN ribbon up and down the original line lowered from space to build up the bridge, in a manner similar to stringing the cables on a suspension bridge.
www.space.com/businesstechnology/050923_spaceelevator_test.html
Link Posted: 10/21/2005 8:00:46 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm personally thinking of its possible use in aircraft and sportscars.  Imagine the thrust to weight ratio of an aircraft made out of "Buckeypaper".  The fuselage would be siginificantly lighter, not to mention stronger.  UAVs and missiles could be more manueverable than ever because they could withstand much higher G-forces.

Imagine a sportscar made out of this stuff.  It would be incredibly strong, and require significantly less power to make it go very fast.  Not to mention that the stuff should theoretically be cheap to manufacture.  This stuff's got alot of potential.  (and didn't I just read about some "transparent aluminum" stuff within the last couple of days?)  The world is seeming to become more and more like a science fiction movie.
Link Posted: 10/21/2005 8:03:59 PM EDT
[#31]

How about using buckypaper to line Nuclear power plants to help contain everything

That would take a LOT of CN, graphite is a ok neutron absorber-it was used in the very first fission piles- but concrete, or steel for moveable reactors is still probably better

, or little boxes they could put over potential IEDs to contain them in a more safe fashion?
Define little?  But yes that would work in some cases.

Can I get a replacement hip out of one?
Maybe, I am not sure about how CN reacts with the body, most other carbon compounds the body tends to absorb, on the other hand the body at least doesn't reject carbon.  CN is being used in experiments to make artifical muscle.

And my darn coat hangers would never bend again I tell you!

Actually they would bend, but they would bounce right back to the way they were shaped.
Link Posted: 10/21/2005 8:13:24 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Folks, this is essentially a sheet of flexible diamond, think of how this will revolutionize life.

No it ain't, and that's a good thing. Diamond is amazingly scratch-resistant and hard, but brittle as anything. That's how you can cut such nice shapes out of it. This is better than diamond, if the hype is true.
Link Posted: 10/21/2005 8:22:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Tag
Link Posted: 10/21/2005 8:22:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Go NOLES!

:)
Link Posted: 10/21/2005 8:23:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/22/2005 7:03:12 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
....Also pay attention to the Space Elevator mentioned above. You probably have no concept of how that would revolutionize space travel and exploration, as well as life here on earth. The benefits would be hard to overstate.

Instead of calculating dollars per pound of materials rationed into space for a supplying an exploratory mission, you could transfer almost unlimited quantities of raw materials, water, fuel, structural components etc. into orbit which could then be put into flight without expending most of your fuel just getting tiny amounts off the earth. Mission planners would not be nearly as excited about finding water or other esentials on the moon or mars because that becomes much less important when it is easy and economical to take what you need with you from Earth.

Or, transfer all the building materials you need up the elevator and build an orbiting research center, hotel, city for the handicapped, rest home, hospital-all the benefits of earth a short shuttle and elevator ride away.

Or, Solar cell electricity back down the cables. Cheap Clean Unlimited Fuel. Use the surplus Electricity to make Hydrogen Fuel.
Link Posted: 10/22/2005 7:03:39 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
DEFINITELY have my eye on this technology.

+ 1 Billion
Link Posted: 10/22/2005 7:08:13 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted: Been tried,  and the end result was not very impressive.  Cracks between the diamond crystals. If you could make a plate that WAS a single diamond you might have something. CN has most of diamonds properties, but is a lot easier to fabricate things from.
Ok, how about diamond impregnated Kevlar sheets?
Link Posted: 10/22/2005 7:45:31 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 10/22/2005 7:46:35 AM EDT
[#40]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top