Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/4/2005 6:10:17 PM EDT
Just wanted to say thank you to all who helped me get this far.

I don't have a lot of time to sit here as I'm still finishing packing and I can't find the link to the old thread right now, but if you know me and my story,  you know who you are.  I owe you all so much.

I'll just paste in my most recent reply in the Team Forum thread that Richard247 started, below.

Well, I'm rethinking my route, and I guess I should just try and go the shortest way.  

Got this off Google Maps, seems to cut a couple hundred miles off, anyways.
Google Maps :  06855 (CT) to Phoenix, AZ

Looks like I-80 through Pennsylvania, then I-76 to I-71 and finally I-70 in Columbus Ohio.

Then from I-70, I'd pick up I-44 in St. Louis, Missouri, which brings me to I-40 in Oklahoma City.  

Follow that west through TX & NM, and on to Flagstaff, AZ....  Then it's just a hop down I-17 to Phoenix.

Any and all thoughts are muchly appreciated....  Good places to stop for a rest, etc.

I'll be flying blind here, nervous as hell....  Big thing for me.

Again, thank you all who've helped make this chance to get my life back a possibility.  

After everything I've been through, it's more than I could have possibly imagined.

God Bless you folks..  And thank you...

John
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:14:34 PM EDT
[#1]
No advice for your route, but be safe en route and good luck in AZ. If you do come thru Columbus at a decent time, I'll buy you a meal.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:24:09 PM EDT
[#2]
My prayers are with ya!
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:36:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Good luck I put those locations into Mapquest and it gave the same route so that is likely your best bet.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:38:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys.

Appreciate it....  Not sure "when I'll be where" yet, and doubtful I'll even be able to get on here, en route.  I have an OLD laptop I was given recently, that's got a wireless card, but God only knows where I'll find a signal, ya know..

Plus no way to plug it in, in the car.... Only have an AC adaptor, so if the battery craps out, I'll have to wait to find a plug somewhere to charge the thing.  It's better than nothing though, and I'm certainly thankful for it...  maybe I'll get lucky and be able to find a signal occasionally.  

Be nice to check in here, and maybe meet a few of you all, along the way, if possible  

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:40:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Make sure you bring a pair of Sun Glasses and a Life Time supply of Sun Block
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:43:25 PM EDT
[#6]
IM inbound

If you are coming thru Columbus, give me a call at the PA-OH border and give me a guesstimate of ETA to Columbus.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:43:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Now remember, when you cross the border, strap on the smokewagon.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:44:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:00:52 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Make sure you bring a pair of Sun Glasses and a Life Time supply of Sun Block

Heh  My bald bean thanks you !

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:02:59 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Good luck!  

BTT to tack.

Thanks Mike....  You're the best, brother.  

Wish you were closer to my passage-through..  Be nice to meet you and Mrs. Bee.  

John
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:40:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Be careful on that "hop" on I-17 from Flagstaff-you will pass through a place called Camp Verde-Highway Patrol there is thick as thieves, and you will get a ticket!! Good luck!!

PS-why are you moving to AZ?  Job? Hot Chick?  Do tell!!!
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 8:14:04 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Be careful on that "hop" on I-17 from Flagstaff-you will pass through a place called Camp Verde-Highway Patrol there is thick as thieves, and you will get a ticket!! Good luck!!

PS-why are you moving to AZ?  Job? Hot Chick?  Do tell!!!

Thanks, I pretty much aint taking any chances, so speeding is out anyways.

Last thing I need's a ticket, at this stage.....

And no, no hot chick.  Long story short, Health problems cost me my job, and just about everything else, along with a piece of shit doctor ( who lost his license: drugs for sex favors w/ female junkie paient, type scumbag)  wasting a year of my life, making my financial situation lots worse.

Richard's letting me stay in his spare room until I can get back on my feet, since this state sucks ass, for a non-scumbag type (me) getting any help with a place to live.  If I was a druggie/drunk/illegal/etc. I'd be all set...  Live a decent. clean life, and you get shit....

Thanks for the heads-up though.  It's always good to know where the po-po lurks regularly.

John

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 9:05:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Holy Crapola!!! I can't believe the time is here...
Good luck John!!!!
I haven't been on in a while so I missed the updates on you.
Good luck and a safe trip for you is in my prayers.
Tonster

BTW Do you know where you plan on stopping along the way for sleep?
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 9:16:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Best of luck John, and have a real safe trip!  This site is the best (brothers helping brothers up-- Kick Ass!).  Next time I get down to AZ I'm gonna look you and Richard up, take ya'll out for some beers!

Remember, the West is the best!!
--VT
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 9:28:52 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Holy Crapola!!! I can't believe the time is here...
Good luck John!!!!
I haven't been on in a while so I missed the updates on you.
Good luck and a safe trip for you is in my prayers.
Tonster

BTW Do you know where you plan on stopping along the way for sleep?

Hey bro  

Yeah, it's that time......  Just trying to get everything done, so they can come in and haul my ass out, with as little hassle as possible.

As far as stops ?  I haven't got much of a clue yet.   I'm hoping MAYBE I can find a couch to crash on, for a couple days, so I can tie up last-minute loose ends, but that doesn't seem likely to happen, so I guess I'm leaving thursday evening probably.  I just don't know yet.

The google maps link in my first post is the route I'm gonna drive, I guess...  It's the shortest distance and seems best.  Hard to say where I'll be, and when at this point....

Talk about feeling disconnected with reality....   So much still up in the air, for two days out.

John
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:00:43 PM EDT
[#16]
dont they have planes where you are?

j/k, I would trust the direction google erf gave you
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:05:20 PM EDT
[#17]
John,
Do you have a cell-phone that you will be taking with you?
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 2:54:14 AM EDT
[#18]
tag
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 4:12:15 AM EDT
[#19]
use a little of the money and buy yourself a calling card at like wally world if you don't have a cell phone.  that way you can call from anywhere to the people I hope we can prearrange on the way. Sounds like the route needs to be announced thru the hometown boards. Looks like you are going thru memphis and those guys are usually pretty friendly.

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 7:09:49 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
John,
Do you have a cell-phone that you will be taking with you?

Quick reply to everybody here, sorry I haven't got enough time to respond to each of you.  Still finishing up things here...

I do have a cell phone, that was lent to me a few months back.  I'll be taking it along just for the drive, in case something happens.  Once I get there, I'll be mailing it back to my friend here..

If anyone wants to meet up along the way, I'd be glad for a little rest WITH some company    Going to be a long, lonely drive, and no doubt, I'll have to stop more than a few times, just to give the aches and pains a rest.

IM me, and I'll try to get back to you as soon as I can.  Trying to check in here, as much as I can.

Thanks guys,

John

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:57:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Take I-80 all the way to Cheyenne then go south on I-25 through northern New Mexico.  Much more scenic route.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:39:14 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Take I-80 all the way to Cheyenne then go south on I-25 through northern New Mexico.  Much more scenic route.

+1
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:52:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Richardh247, tried to reach you but you don't accept IM's.

Mike
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 12:39:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Hope you haven't left yet.

I'm on Interstate 80 (Exit 60--60 miles short of the Ohio Border) in Pennsylvania.

I'm headed out of town on the 7th, but if you are passing through tomorrow PM, you are welcome to crash at my place (it is a mess, but I can shuffle things around).  Beer and Pop in the Fridge if you need refreshment.  

If you are going to be going through later in the week/weekend, E-mail me (Better than an IM--I don't get on ARF.com too frequently now)--I may be able to get you in the house anyway.

AFARR
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 12:50:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Good luck, you'll be in my prayers.  Patty
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:11:29 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Hope you haven't left yet.

I'm on Interstate 80 (Exit 60--60 miles short of the Ohio Border) in Pennsylvania.

I'm headed out of town on the 7th, but if you are passing through tomorrow PM, you are welcome to crash at my place (it is a mess, but I can shuffle things around).  Beer and Pop in the Fridge if you need refreshment.  

If you are going to be going through later in the week/weekend, E-mail me (Better than an IM--I don't get on ARF.com too frequently now)--I may be able to get you in the house anyway.

AFARR

Thanks    I'll be leaving some time saturday, most likely. not exactly sure.  

Hopefully I'll be ABLE to get online, before I leave......  Not quite sure about that yet, either.

John
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:12:36 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Good luck, you'll be in my prayers.  Patty

Thank you Patty
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:33:39 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Richardh247, tried to reach you but you don't accept IM's.

Mike

try again bro.  I am getting the rest ok, so it must have been a fluke with yours, I guess...
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:54:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:05:48 PM EDT
[#30]
On the laptop and wireless.  Alotof hotelshave wireless.you just pull in to the parking lot and hookup.  I have done it many times.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:38:55 PM EDT
[#31]
When you get here pay no mind to the "Welcome To Az. Now go home." bumper stickers
they are for snowbirds.

Hello and welcome.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 2:09:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Yes!!!!  Another ARCOMMER moves to AZ....our plan to fully dilute the Cali Commies and the Illegals moves yet another step closer to completion.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 3:47:47 PM EDT
[#33]
The only advice I can offer on the route you probably know already because it's real close to you.  I grew up right near White Plains, but I moved away about a year ago.  You might have a better time taking the Meritt Parkway down to 287. (Marked 15 on the Google map).  It might be a little longer mileage, but there's a good chance it could be faster.  And it's a MUCH nicer drive than 95 through Stamford.

And avoid crossing the Tappan-Zee between 4:30 and 7:00 (PM) on a weekday.  That alone will save you an hour or two on your trip.

On top of that, all I can do is wish you the best of luck on your trip and let you know that you have one more person out here pulling for you.  PM me if you want for contact info, and if you have any problems down near White Plains I'll do my damndest to give you a hand.  I'm only a couple of hours north of there now.

Rob
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 5:35:48 AM EDT
[#34]
Good luck man!  Take it easy, not a short drive, but gives you plenty of time to think about things and enjoy the country...
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 10:24:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Good luck with your trip to arizona, the thought of moving there has been on my mind as well. Keep us posted!
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 10:28:48 AM EDT
[#36]

Leaving today !    Wish me luck, people !

Gonna need it, hahaha....

Thanks for everyone's help, if I fall into a black hole or something along the way  

John
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 12:38:47 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Thanks for everyone's help, if I fall into a black hole or something along the way  

John

[lawrence] Watch out for yer cornhole, man! [/lawrence]
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 12:51:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Lots of us out here wishing you the best, safe trip and best of luck !
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 2:11:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Wish I was riding with you.........cross country trips are long but you will see America.....it's a grand place.....hope you can stop along the way and see some of the beauty.....I will pray for your safety and that it be a fantastic time......that there be good people along the way... and good food and safe travel.  Lock and load!   Rock and roll!
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 8:08:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Godspeed
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 6:33:59 AM EDT
[#41]

good luck
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 12:00:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Good luck Sir.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 12:56:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Good luck on your road trip. I guess you're on your way now.

Az is a great place, with great people. Spent some time there (Phoenix mainly, but stopped most places between Tombstone and Vegas) and met many people (some planned and some 'just bumped into'). All were welcoming and generous.

Take care and give us an update when you arrive.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 4:57:04 PM EDT
[#44]
When you get into town be sure to roll thru Mesa down Main street.
I something to behold this time of year.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 6:54:34 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

John

Prayers Sent!!!

Tonster - Out!!
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 6:57:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Updates?  Anyone heard from JB69?
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 8:01:15 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Updates?  Anyone heard from JB69?

+1
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 8:06:52 PM EDT
[#48]
+1
Anyone hear from John please give us the scoop.
Heck we should have sent him some kinda GPS device so we could all watch his progress down south
Were thinking and praying about you John.  
Stay safe.
Tonster
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 12:04:57 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Why's that? All the snowbirds driving in the left lane with their right turn signal on?
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 7:26:37 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why's that? All the snowbirds driving in the left lane with their right turn signal on?

Yep!

Wheres John?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top