Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2005 5:21:59 AM EDT
OK, let's get Monday morning off on the right foot (or hoof, depending on your preference):

www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,170955,00.html

Mr. Buck's Wild Ride

Friday, September 30, 2005

The passenger was dead, and more than a little ripe, but he had a hell of a ride.

An escaped mental patient, on the run from Florida, stole an ambulance in North Carolina last Sunday and led police on a three-county chase, passing briefly into Virginia.

When the cops finally pulled him over, he emerged — somewhat less than voluntarily — wearing a stethoscope around his neck, a pager on his waist and latex gloves in his back pocket, and sporting a Mohawk haircut.

"I don't think anyone would have mistaken him for a doctor," Rockingham County (N.C.) Sheriff's Officer Dean Venable told The Reidsville (N.C.) Review.

Even stranger, somewhere along the way he'd picked up a patient — a dead male deer, lying in the back of the ambulance with an intravenous tube stuck into it. A defibrillator may also have been used on the animal.

"I don't know how the man got it up in there," Sgt. Robert Pearson of the North Carolina State Highway Patrol (search) told the Jacksonville (Fla.) Times-Union. "It was a six point buck."

Even worse, it had been dead for somewhere around a week. Police think it must have been road kill the driver just came across.

"I smelled that deer until 10 o'clock that night," said Pearson.

It turned out Leon Hollimon Jr., 37, had escaped from a mental-health facility in Jacksonville, Fla., in mid-August and not been heard from until last Saturday, Sept. 24.

That's when Lexington, N.C., police arrested him as he hung around the town hospital in a wheelchair.

"Actually he was in the wheelchair, riding it in the middle of the road and intoxicated," Lt. Scott Nanney told WFMY-TV of Greensboro, N.C. "So that's when officers decided to take him into jail for four hours."

The next morning, Hollimon allegedly stole the vehicle from Davidson County Ambulance Service (search), but it wasn't spotted until early that afternoon, when police in Danville, Va., 80 miles away, noticed it but didn't give chase.

Hollimon must have been spooked, for he headed back into North Carolina, where Rockingham County sheriff's deputies gave chase, following him down back roads, and even through some fields, across the Caswell County line until the ambulance ran into a ditch.

"It was a little like the Duke boys out there, I understand," Pearson said, referring to Hazzard County's (search) finest.

Hollimon was taken to a psychiatric facility near Durham for evaluation. It wasn't clear whether he was fit to be charged.

Hollimon's father told WAWS-TV of Jacksonville his son was a paranoid schizophrenic who had stabbed his two sisters and a brother in the past. North Carolina authorities told the Review that Hollimon had arrests and convictions for petty crimes stretching from Florida to New Jersey.

"It's about the most bizarre thing I've ever seen," the tow truck driver who hauled the ambulance away told the Review. "I don't know how he even drove it with the smell in there."

There weren't any pictures with the article, so I had to go find one myself. Damn, posting this crap is getting harder and harder.

Link Posted: 10/3/2005 5:27:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 5:43:18 AM EDT
[#2]
My favorite part:

"Even stranger, somewhere along the way he'd picked up a patient — a dead male deer, lying in the back of the ambulance with an intravenous tube stuck into it. A defibrillator may also have been used on the animal."

Second favortie:

""Actually he was in the wheelchair, riding it in the middle of the road and intoxicated,"  

Link Posted: 10/3/2005 5:58:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like paramedic school to me.he
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:17:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Ahh hell leave him be, if he enjoys picking up road kill then thats one less person we need to pay to do that nasty job.

Though it may be a little weird seeing this guy doing CPR and tazing the crap out of it on your way to work.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:47:25 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Ahh hell leave him be, if he enjoys picking up road kill then thats one less person we need to pay to do that nasty job.

Though it may be a little weird seeing this guy doing CPR and tazing the crap out of it on your way to work.

I couldn't imagine what people thought driving by seeing a "doctor" with a mohawk putting a dead deer on a stretcher and loading it into an ambulance.

Some people are truely crazy.  Not abusing the system with insanity defense,  not on drugs, not traumatized, just F'n crazy.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:52:34 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I couldn't imagine what people thought driving by seeing a "doctor" with a mohawk putting a dead deer on a stretcher and loading it into an ambulance.

Some people are truely crazy.  Not abusing the system with insanity defense,  not on drugs, not traumatized, just F'n crazy.

No word on whether he had sex with it, or it had sex with him. Guess he isn't THAT crazy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top