Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/23/2001 5:44:12 PM EDT
I just got it today from a gun collector who died and I wanted to know if anyone can tell me how to determine what it's date of manufacture is?  It is supposed to be preban and has the older style flash hider but it has never been fired and that makes me suspicious.  Any help out there?  Thanks in advance.
Matt
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 5:50:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Call Colt at 1-800-962-COLT and give them the serial number.
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 7:20:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I just got it today from a gun collector who died and I wanted to know if anyone can tell me how to determine what it's date of manufacture is?  It is supposed to be preban and has the older style flash hider but it has never been fired and that makes me suspicious.  Any help out there?  Thanks in advance.
Matt
View Quote
Don't be suspicous because it has never been fired.  You might be surprised at how many unfired prebans exist.  Do what RikWriter said.
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 7:36:55 PM EDT
[#3]
At one time, this web site had a reference section with serial number lists by manufacturer that could help identify the year of production of most AR15's, but I can't find it since the reorganization. Anyone else know where it is?
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 7:39:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice find! Rikwriter is right, I called Colt myself to inquire about a pre-ban status. They were very helpful and were even willing to send documentation on the gun itself. If it is truly unfired, don't be concerned,just an added bonus! [:D]
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 7:42:53 PM EDT
[#5]
[url]http://old.ar15.com/legal/serialNumberList.asp[/url]
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 4:55:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Call Colt
If you send $25 to their History Society they will send a letter of confirmation of it being a PreBan  and it includes the shipping date of the rifle.
I beleive Colt started making Sporter Lightweights in 1991
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top