Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/23/2001 3:51:30 PM EDT
I need a guesstimate on the value of the following:

A 1939 German Mauser 98k, never fired, with bayonet and original german markings.

Appears to be in really nice condition.

JJK
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 3:56:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 8:01:03 AM EDT
[#2]
If it is indeed original,and unfired, then I'd say at least $500.00 minumun,(probably more),it could also have been rebuilt/refinished somewhere along the way, The germans were always short of small-arms of all kinds,and everything they had got used, Yours however, could be the exception to the rule, look it over carefully, are any import marks present? (these may be small, often close to the muzzle)Find a copy of Ludwig Olsen's book:Mauser Bolt Rifles, lots of info, good,clear photo's can often be found in local libaray, Can you post photo's of it? very hard to comment on it without seeing it, Also, other countrys (Czechoslovakia,Yugoslavia) produced these AFTER the war using battlefield pickups, and rebuilding these,look for the mark "Preduzece 44" on left side of receiver,If that's there, then it's a yugo rebuild,Olsen's book would be a big help to you,as it shows a variety of these rebuilds ( most are dead ringers for a 98k)
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 8:18:36 AM EDT
[#3]
You've probably already done this, but make sure the numbers are matching.  The manufacturer may also be important, Mausers weren't just made by Mauser.
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 8:26:37 AM EDT
[#4]
You know Springfield Sporters in Pennsylvania sells Mint Condition (probably never been fired, or if they have you'll never be able to tell) 98K Mauser's for $200.  So I would guestimate that your value lies somewhere around this number.
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 8:44:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Any contact info for Springfield Sporters?
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 1:09:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the info, I have looked into numbers on it, and while it has no import marks, it has had its bolt replaced with a Mauser-Oberndorf one, the receiver is Berlin-Lubeck.  I have another both that was found in the same crate with the gun that I will have to look for and ID.  Thanks again,
Jeff
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 4:11:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I’m just guessing, but I suspect Springfield Sporter’s 98’s are the post war Yugoslavian ones that are currently all over the place.  These rifles appear to be a good value for the money.   However, they aren’t too well finished and are basically shooters.

I’d think a minty original German 98 circa 1939 with matching numbers would be worth quite a bit more because of it’s collector value.

However, I admit I’m not an expert on 98’s.  Ralph H., above, has the right idea.
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 4:33:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 4:46:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Bacl in 1979, bought a Kar98K, Mauser manuf, 100% matching too. 1941 Portugese contract with matching bayonet,original sling,and cleaning kit.

Heaps of NAZI proofs (all over it), and in unaltered original condition, rated NRA VG. Paid 129.50 (Canadian) for it. Still got it, would never part with it.

That was from Lever Arms in Vancouver, and they had another grade for $179.50 which a friend of mine bought. All in the grease, never issued,100% matching, including the bayonet, and in fair dinkum mint condition. As of last yr, he still has it tucked away, just as he bought it over 20 yrs ago!
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 7:02:30 PM EDT
[#10]
raf is right, in order to be considered "all matching" the numbers on the bolt must match the rest of the rifle, and be of the same mfg as the rest of the rifle, I mean, that's how it was when it left the factory,and those are hard to find anymore,the average german grunt was'nt too worried if his rifle was matching or not,(I'm sure they had other things on their minds) when they got a break in the action, they would clean weapons,and from what I've read, they'd just put their bolts it the solvent and clean, and "whatever" bolt went back in,I don't know just how much truth there is to this, but it makes a lot sense to me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top