Posted: 9/27/2005 11:17:22 AM EDT
NO Police Cheif is stepping down.

wonder why?
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 11:19:05 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

wonder why?

i dont wonder, i know, because he is a fucking moron.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 11:19:38 AM EDT
[#2]
His press conference was just on Fox News.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 11:20:14 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

wonder why?

Don't forget corrupt.

A corrupt fucking moron.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 11:21:04 AM EDT
[#4]
oh the drama.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 11:21:38 AM EDT
[#5]
So have they found out who gave him the order to confiscate weapons?
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 11:21:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 11:22:06 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm expecting a press conference from Nagin telling us that the chief has not resigned within the hour.

Most likely the governor will tell the press a third, even more confusing version.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 11:22:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Headline on freep:  New Orleans Police superintendant step down; Nagin sings his praises; media looks for Moose

Moose?  MOOSE?!?!  W T F, over?  
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 11:24:00 AM EDT
[#9]
I bet he will be getting at least $80,000 per year for life pension from tax $.  What a crock.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 11:24:08 AM EDT
[#10]
I think it might have something to do with the hurricane...
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 11:25:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

wonder why?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And a scumbag
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 11:25:42 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Headline on freep:  New Orleans Police superintendant step down; Nagin sings his praises; media looks for Moose

Seriously? Is that headline REAL? They want that joker from D.C. to head the NOPD? Oh... that'll fix everything! LOL! Every day in this world is like a bonus. The hilarity and absurdity of it all knows no bounds. One thing's for sure... the laughs will NEVER stop 'a comin'!!!
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 11:26:35 AM EDT
[#13]
He must have used a blue crayon to draw his "blue line"....
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 11:29:10 AM EDT
[#14]
So much for "getting away" with ordering gun confiscations.

This guy did and his carreer is over.

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 11:31:08 AM EDT
[#15]

Jail time!
Jail time!
Jail time!

Violating people's civil rights is a Federal crime!!!

Ordering the general confiscation of firearms is a violation of the US Constitution and the State Constitution of Louisiana.

Jail time!
Jail time!
Jail time!

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 11:33:47 AM EDT
[#16]
What are other cases of violating civil rights being a federal offense?

I want to write some letters about how the book should be thrown, but I dont want to sound like a dumbass.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 11:34:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Was it was Compass that ordered the gun confiscations?
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 11:34:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Time for someone to photoshop the Heineken looter into a picture with Compass
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 11:35:21 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Mongomery County PD - Sniper Investigation Chief.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 11:36:12 AM EDT
[#20]
I believe they should now hire the head of the Portland, OR PD to lead NO.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 11:36:25 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Jail time!
Jail time!
Jail time!

Ordering the general confiscation of firearms is a violation of the US Constitution and the State Constitution of Louisiana.

Jail time!
Jail time!
Jail time!

That would be perfect.

Except he'll claim he was repressed...
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 11:37:03 AM EDT
[#22]
New Orleans Police Superintendent Resigns

NEW ORLEANS (AP) -- The superintendent of the New Orleans police department has announced that he's resigning from that post.

Eddie Compass isn't giving any reason for the decision.

The announcement comes on the same day it was revealed that nearly 250 New Orleans police officers left their posts without permission during Hurricane Katrina.

Roughly 15 percent of the force could face a special tribunal because they left their posts without permission during Hurricane Katrina and
the storm's chaotic aftermath, the police chief said earlier in the day.

Police Superintendent Eddie Compass had announced plans to assemble a tribunal of four of his assistant chiefs to hear each case and sort the outright deserters from those with a legitimate reason for not showing up for work. In all, 249 officers were found to have been absent without permission, he said in an interview published
Tuesday in The Times-Picayune.

"We have a penalty schedule for each violation, and when that process takes place, individuals will have the right to appeal the decisions made by the bureau chiefs," Compass said adding that
"the final decision and recommendation will be by me as superintendent of police."

Mayor Ray Nagin said the city attorney's office will review Compass' plan to ensure that it falls within civil service regulations. Compass did not say how many of the 249 officers are asking to return. The department has about 1,700 officers.

Lt. David Benelli, president of the Police Association of New Orleans, the union for rank-and-file officers, said true deserters should be fired.

"For those who left because of cowardice, they don't need to be here," Benelli told the paper. "If you're a deserter and you deserted your post for no other reason than you were scared, then you left the department and I don't see any need for you to come back."

But Benelli said he believes only a small fraction of the officers will wind up being deserters.

"We know there were people who flat-out deserted," he said. "But we also know there were officers who had to make critical decisions about what to do with their families.

Telephone calls from The Associated Press to the police department, the mayor's office and the police union were not immediately returned on Tuesday.

At a news conference Sept. 5, Deputy Police Superintendent Warren Riley had said between 400 and 500 officers on the 1,600-member police force were unaccounted for.

Some lost their homes and some are looking for their families.

"Some simply left because they said they could not deal with the catastrophe," Riley said.

Tuesday marked the second day of the official reopening of New Orleans, which had been pushed back last week when Hurricane Rita threatened. Nagin welcomed residents back to the Algiers
neighborhood on Monday, but imposed a curfew and warned of limited services.

A steady line of cars waited 20 to 25 minutes Monday to get through police checkpoints into the neighborhood of 57,000 people that largely escaped Katrina's destruction, said police spokesman Capt. Marlon Defillo. Defillo had no estimate of how many people had returned.

Only scattered handfuls of people even bothered to return to neighboring St. Bernard Parish. They came to salvage what they could from homes where the waters from Hurricane Katrina topped the attics, where mold is blooming on the walls and toxic sludge covers the floors. Many said they wouldn't be back, not after the double blow of Katrina and Rita, which reflooded parts of the parish.

"There's just too much devastation," said Dionne Thiel who wept in the middle of her block. "There's no way we could rebuild
all this."

Nagin also invited business owners in the central business district, the French Quarter and the Uptown section to inspect their property and clean up. But he gave no timetable for reopening
those parts of the city to residents.

Power has been restored to portions of New Orleans, including Algiers, the French Quarter and the Central Business District, said Entergy Corp. spokesman Chanel Lagarde. The utility planned to restore power to parts of Uptown on Tuesday.

Meanwhile, pumps were draining water from the Ninth Ward, an area reflooded by during Hurricane Rita. The water receded to 2 to 4 feet in the neighborhood by Tuesday, said Mitch Frazier, a
spokesman for the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 11:38:12 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Jail time!
Jail time!
Jail time!

Jail time!
Jail time!
Jail time!

It may be coming... it takes a while for Federal Attorneys to assemble a case.

I remember that YOU Mac were one of those who were insisting that he was going to get off scot free and we were going to have to resort to violence to get justice.

But he is now gone after only a couple weeks.

He may or may not ever stand trial depending on local politics.

But the number of LEOs who would even think about obeying a order to take guns from people at random just got a LOT smaller.

They value their paychecks as much as their freedom...

And the need to kill over this issue has just been pushed further away...
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 11:40:58 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
What are other cases of violating civil rights being a federal offense?

I want to write some letters about how the book should be thrown, but I dont want to sound like a dumbass.  

There was a case (I think in Alabama) of some civil rights activists being murdered back in the 60's.  Despite some pretty damn good evidence, the alleged murderers were all aquitted by a local jury.  The Feds stepped in and accused them of violating the murder victims' civil rights.  They were found guilty in a Federal court and sent to prison.

ETA:  Found it.
www.infoplease.com/spot/bhmjustice4.html

Also found:
www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/USAliuzzo.htm
www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/USAdonaldD.htm (fairly graphic photo warning)
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 11:41:07 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mongomery County PD - Sniper Investigation Chief.

Maryland Moose? That asshat? Thats just what NO needs one anti lib for another
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 11:45:39 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Ooooooh, a job opening!

+1

As someone with zero LE experience, but almost 7 years of emergency service with a history of ZERO corruption and the theory that I should hire good cops, give them a job, and gtf out of their way, occaisonally checking in to make sure they have everything they need and are still doing right then again, getting the fuck out of their way, think I'd be better than him?
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 11:47:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 11:51:19 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I remember that YOU Mac were one of those who were insisting that he was going to get off scot free and we were going to have to resort to violence to get justice.

I don't remember saying he'd get off scotfree.

Not saying I didn't but I really don't remember saying that.

I DO remember saying I'd like to have seen a few of the JBTs who so willingly carry out illegal orders get a face full of buckshot in the process.

But I don't remember saying nothing would come of it.

But the number of LEOs who would even think about obeying a order to take guns from people at random just got a LOT smaller.

They value their paychecks as much as their freedom...

And the need to kill over this issue has just been pushed further away...

I really hope so.

I'd REALLY like to see a few of the cops and especially some of the imported JBTs from the PRC get convicted for their role in it as well. Following illegal and unconstitutional orders should be punishible to the fullest extent.

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 12:40:08 PM EDT
[#29]
http://www.humaneventsonline.com/article.php?id=8894

The storm may have triggered the violence, but it did not cause it.  What we saw in New Orleans was what happens in America’s most murderous city when the criminals realize that all the cops have left.
It wasn’t desperation, or insanity, or protest.  It was New Orleans, without police.

Many people believe that Washington, D.C., is the “murder capital of America.”  And indeed it often is, but that is only because such rankings are limited to “major cities” –those with a population of 500,000 or more, and New Orleans has (or had) a population of 485,000.  Were it not for this actuarial accident, Washington, D.C.. wouldn’t even have a shot at the murder title.  The per capita murder rate in New Orleans is 16% higher than in “Murder Capital” Washington, D.C.; and nearly 10 times the national average.  To have a murder rate equal to that of New York City, New Orleans would need to reduce its murders by 86%.  No, that’s not a typo.
At a time when crime is plummeting in most of America, it has been steadily increasing in New Orleans.  And one cause is simple: The New Orleans City Government has run its law enforcement apparatus into the ground.  On a per capita basis, New Orleans has less than half as many cops as Washington, D.C.: just 3.1 police officers per 1,000 citizens.  Turnover has become a huge issue, as young cops leave at the first opportunity.  A report conducted for the city two years ago said that New Orleans was “bleeding police officers.” 

The strain shows.  Fewer than one in four murder cases in New Orleans results in a conviction.  42% of violent offenders have their charges dropped by prosecutors because the cases are “not suitable for court.”  Many in New Orleans will not now testify against the thugs that they know -- more likely than not -- are going to be released Scot-free.  People don’t even bother calling the police in New Orleans anymore.  In 2004, academic Researchers conducted an experiment in which they had police fire 700 blank rounds into the air, in a single afternoon, in one neighborhood.  No one -- not one person -- called to report the gunfire.  It was background noise.
The report on police levels mentioned above stated that New Orleans needs 2,000 cops just to maintain order in normal times.  When Katrina struck, the city had only 1,700.  No more than 1,500 are on duty now, after dislocation, desertions, resignations, and two suicides.

There is no wonder the place went chaotic.  There should be no mystery.  It is barely under control on a good day.
Why are the cops leaving?  They are utterly demoralized.  They face low pay to fight a losing war against crime in a city that will not commit resources to the battle. “We have to use our own shotguns," one patrolman was quoted in the New York Times.  "This isn't theirs; this is my personal gun."

They are demoralized because they have to bear the reputation of working in what is widely acknowledged as the most corrupt police department in the country.  More than fifty NOPD officers were sent to prison in the 1990’s, two of them to death row.
They are demoralized because they have to live in New Orleans, due to a strict residency requirement for police.  And unless you are wealthy enough to live in the perpetual party of the Vieux Carre, New Orleans is not a nice place to live -- especially for those with children.  84% of officers with children reported sending them to private or parochial schools, at their own expense.  That’s quite an endorsement of Mayor Nagin’s schools.

So they leave, and are not replaced.  It is not just “white flight” either, for those that want to see the world through racial lenses.  Most of those leaving are black officers.
All this is not to say that New Orleans has had no plan to reduce its high crime statistics.  For a while, one police district tried lying about the statistics.  It meant letting some violent thugs go (and with an edge on their joneses, I’m told), but it was cheaper than fighting real crime; and it kept the tourists coming.

Asked if such lying meant that perhaps the NOPD should have its stats audited by an outside agency, Police Chief Eddie Compass stated, “I don't need an outside agency coming in. I think we have proven that we are capable of taking care of our own house.” 
This is the same Chief that now screams on camera for outside agencies to just take over.  As soon as order is restored, you can bet the New Orleans City Government will rediscover its need for independence -- and privacy.

The overnight crisis we saw in New Orleans this week has been a long time coming.  It was just the bursting of a purulent boil that has been festering for years. 
Undoubtedly, that is Bush’s fault as well.  Perhaps his Global Warming has been putting an edge on criminal’s joneses, unbeknownst to the City Government.  

Mr. Johnson is a freelance writer and medical researcher living in Cambridge, MA.  His published commentaries can be viewed at www.macjohnson.com.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 12:49:31 PM EDT
[#30]
^^^^^ And THAT'S why I kept saying right before Katrina hit that if any city in America needed and deserved a hurricane-sized enema, it was New Orleans.

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 1:30:00 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
^^^^^ And THAT'S why I kept saying right before Katrina hit that if any city in America needed and deserved a hurricane-sized enema, it was New Orleans.

Gonna have to agree with that ESPECIALLY after seeing the behavior of the...um...REFUGEES. Not to mention the so called AUTHORITIES

[Obi Wan] you will never see a nest of more scum or villiany [Obi Wan]
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 1:32:59 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I don't believe that FOR ONE SECOND.  Most cops will grab guns at the first opportunity. I am now convinced of that.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 1:35:31 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't believe that FOR ONE SECOND.  Most cops will grab guns at the first opportunity. I am now convinced of that.

I never had a doubt.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 1:38:23 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

True, we all saw it in action, despite the media's best efforts to play it down.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 1:39:56 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I never had a doubt.

I was giving them the benefit of the doubt for all these years because I hadn't seen a test case quite like this one. But the results are now in. Between what cops did in NOLA and a few LEO's on this board supporting their actions one way or the other, my doubts have been removed. I still know a VERY FEW officers personally who swear to me they would NOT obey that order, but I think most others would and I wouldn't even stake my life on those who've sworn an oath against confiscation. Words are cheap. Deeds say everything.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 1:42:34 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

True, we all saw it in action, despite the media's best efforts to play it down.  

Yep.

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 1:45:34 PM EDT
[#37]

"There's just too much devastation," said Dionne Thiel who wept in the middle of her block. "There's no way we could rebuild all this."

Ya think?  According to Uncle Sam. it's just a simple matter of OUR money!
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 1:48:05 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I never had a doubt.

I was giving them the benefit of the doubt for all these years because I hadn't seen a test case quite like this one. But the results are now in. Between what cops did in NOLA and a few LEO's on this board supporting their actions one way or the other, my doubts have been removed. I still know a VERY FEW officers personally who swear to me they would NOT obey that order, but I think most others would and I wouldn't even stake my life on those who've sworn an oath against confiscation. Words are cheap. Deeds say everything.

Yes deeds say everything.

Almost NO cops actually obeyed that assinine order.

The ones who did are on their way out.

What you are talking about is fantasy, just like the raped and murderd 7 year olds...
It just shows who here are murderers waiting to happen and who are not..
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 3:51:23 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I never had a doubt.

The AP resignation story nightstalker posted was absolutely silent on the at-home confiscation issue and the NRA+SAF suit:
apnews.myway.com/article/20050927/D8CSRRJ82.html

Quoted: I'd REALLY like to see a few of the cops and especially some of the imported JBTs from the PRC get convicted for their role in it as well. Following illegal and unconstitutional orders should be punishible to the fullest extent.

You won't see that prosecution coming from PRK A.G. William Lockyer, I'm afraid, and NOT because of unsurmountable jurisdiction issues.   He's NOT pro-2nd Amendment, is more an Anti.  His record as a "prosecutor" started when he was elected to that position, and I don't know of a single case he's prosecuted himself.   Strictly a career politician.

My bet: The "Moose" in the freep headline is a joke.  OTOH, why not "Moose"?  They've already had "Squirrel"  
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 3:56:56 PM EDT
[#40]
C U
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:00:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Now prosecute him for the gun confiscation.  Give him life in prison in a forced labor camp for each gun confiscated.  Or better still give him death for each gun confiscated.

He deserves the firing squad.  Blindfold the shooters, give them BB guns and tell them to shoot by sound.  That execution should take a while.  He deserves it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:19:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Buh Bye Mr "We're Going to Take All The Weapons".

Good riddance, jackboot bastard.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:26:20 PM EDT
[#43]
NO, a city without a compass...but then again we all knew that.
The Mayah gave how many employees a vacation for a job well done...WTF.
Time for the tidy bowl man to visit NO cause it's heading for the crapper.

Congress is not going to give them the 250 Billion in pork that they say is "NEEDED"
Pete
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:36:59 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Jail time!
Jail time!
Jail time!

Jail time!
Jail time!
Jail time!

+1  Not that I think I'll ever live to see him brought up on charges.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:33:42 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ooooooh, a job opening!

Working under asshat Nagin????

I'm thinking he'll be out of a job before long also.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top