Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/19/2001 7:01:22 AM EDT
Go to www.gunbroker.com.  Check out auction # 990202.  Who does this guy think he's fooling?  s this for CII and CIII dealers only?
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 7:07:43 AM EDT
[#1]
no
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 7:21:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Are these legal?
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 7:57:13 AM EDT
[#3]
From all the sources I've seen, they are legal.  But you need to register your gun as a Automatic rifle, ofcourse.  If they are illegal, then they were legal at one time; but I would not take a chance and buy one.
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 8:08:57 AM EDT
[#4]
It is legal if the documentation is authentic that it was manufactured before '81.  If it was post '81 it would be considered a Class III device, all by itself.  [b]If[/b] I remember right, I believe that the catch is you can not possess a firearm (in the same proximity) that it fits, unless that firearm is registered Class III weapon.  
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 6:16:33 PM EDT
[#5]
[url]http://gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?item=990202[/url]

Here ya go boys. Help the BATF make their arrest quota this month.

Link Posted: 2/19/2001 6:31:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Sounds fishy to me I'll pass
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 6:34:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, the seller has no feedback, so they either aren't really selling these things (no one is buying them) -or- the buyers are being arrested before they can leave negative feedback.

Also, the e-mail address, [email protected] is at a free, anonymous e-mail site.  Anyone can setup an account there with no way to verify who they are or anything else about them.  Would you buy something over the Internet without first knowing who you are dealing with?  I wouldn't.  For all you know, they could be trying to steal your money or your identity.  

Nope, this ad has *sting* written all over it, just like the one in the back of the SGN.

These DIAS things look really easy to make.  If you are building an illegal machine gun for fun, the last thing you need to do is let the whole world know about your plans.  Besides, blueprints for the DIAS are all over the 'net, and there is also the lightning link, which is even simpler.

So if you have a remote, private shooting range of your own, do it yourself and avoid prison.

Not that I'm advocating illegal activity or anything.  Everyone knows that machineguns are horrible, evil things that only cops, feds, and soldiers are qualified to posess.  

I hope I live to see the day that the ATF is formally disbanded.  Probably you will find out that this isn't the ATF but more likely some other podunk agency trying to make a name for itself.  There are lots and lots of cops cruising the 'net these days trying desperately to look important and busy and thereby justify their leech-like existences.      
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 6:59:01 PM EDT
[#8]
I [b]hate[/b] ATF.[pissed]

They'll probably end up putting some new gun owner, who doesn't know all the rules yet, in prison for 10 years or more because he/she thought it would be a cool accessory for their brand new rifle.  It says they are perfetly legal so how would a novice gunner know the difference, right?[:(]
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 7:53:44 PM EDT
[#9]
There is NO WAY that anybody can legally own one of these, except for Class 2 and 3 manufactures.
You CAN'T register them you can't even legally posess one if you also own a AR.

BISHOP
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 8:17:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Does gunbroker know about the fact that they are illegal?
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 8:26:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Somebody just showed up at our forum and advertised class 3 stuff very blatantly and unsolicited.  We "politely" passed, informed him (them?) to go away, and deleted the post that was C3 only.  Someone is either a dumbass, thinks we're dumbasses, or was on a fishing trip.

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/arright?s

Link Posted: 2/19/2001 8:34:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Before anyone else talks out their ass because their mouth knows better, please read this.

[url]www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs.cmu.edu/user/wbardwel/public/nfalist/ar_15_auto_sear_faq.txt[/url]

quoted [b]However, while the sears made before the ruling are not considered machine guns in themselves, they can be considered machine guns in combination with semi-automatic AR-15 rifles, or in combination with other M-16 parts.  Thus it is extremely unwise to possess one of these pre-81 sears together with an AR-15 rifle, or
other M-16 parts, even if none of them are assembled together.  You might be surprised what ATF can get to fire more than one shot with
a single trigger pull.  So pre-81 drop-in sears are legal to possess alone, but they are also useless by themselves.[/b]unquote  

While this ad could be an attempt to identify full auto wannabees, a pre '81 documented sear can be owned legaly, as long as you do not have a combination of the half dozen parts, or the firearm that it will make rock and roll.  To read about the fine line of the law check out:

[url]www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs.cmu.edu/user/wbardwel/public/nfalist/us_v_bradley.txt[/url]

I'm surprised that this thread has not been transfered to the legal forum. My point is this, anybody who will just click on a search engine before their knee jerks, can find all this out for themselves.  PERIOD!
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 10:59:27 PM EDT
[#13]
For those of you unaware of the operation of a drop in auto sear, the unit alone does not allow select fire, several other M16 parts must be used in conjunction with the autosear and AR15 (selector, bolt carrier... I'll leave it at that).

Jake
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 11:13:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Even if somebody bought one how could something like this even make it to court?   Isn't this a blatant example of entrapment?  Once again the ATF has thrown our rights out the window.  Fuck those bastards!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/20/2001 2:29:29 AM EDT
[#15]
[url]http://gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?item=990433[/url]

Oh, well, if you need some more parts go here. You can quote the scripture to them on the way to jail.
Link Posted: 2/20/2001 6:19:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Just get the mechanical drawing of the part and machine yourself one.  Why pay $200+ for a chunk of metal.
Link Posted: 2/20/2001 6:35:16 AM EDT
[#17]
At least that later ad (990433) mentions the NFA requirements and such.  #990202 is the type of ad that could get some poor newbie in a lot of trouble.  If it isn't an ATF trick, it's at least unethical selling.
Link Posted: 2/20/2001 6:51:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
There is NO WAY that anybody can legally own one of these, except for Class 2 and 3 manufactures.
You CAN'T register them you can't even legally posess one if you also own a AR.

BISHOP
View Quote

This is exactly what I was thinking.  I was not considering buying one as I know about NFA registration.  It just suprised the hell out of me that GunBroker.com would allow that auction.  This is not the first time I've seen these auctions.  The fact that there's no feed back makes it even more suspicious.  Perhaps it is a legitimate CII or CIII seller, but it reminds me of the pre-'81 auto-sears for sale in Shotgun News...you know, no talk about that fact that you can't have one w/o the proper SOT, just selling them to anyone.
Link Posted: 2/20/2001 12:29:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/20/2001 1:36:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Why dont we start tracking down all of the addresses that are obviously stings, and use the feedback features on the different auction sites and warn everyone that its a sting.
Something along the lines of:
"This mailling address was spotted on another auction, with a different company name.  BEWARE: THIS AUCTION IS PROBABLY A STING!"

Kharn
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top