Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/22/2001 10:23:57 AM EDT
I remember reading about a pistol that was being developed that fired a very small projectile at a rifle like velocity, with very little recoil. I think I just saw one on a t.v. show and was trying to remember who was making them, and if they will be available to the public. I thought it might be Steyr or HK.  THANKS
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 10:47:19 AM EDT
[#1]

FN is marketing the Five seVen, firing the same flea-sized cartridge as the FN PDW.  Also, there was a British firm that was developing its own necked down 10mm .224 BOZ cartridge to be used in subguns and conventional 1911/Glock 20 pistols with cut-out slides.  

The BOZ uses some of the .224 bullets that the 5.56mm Nato round uses, and I think the dimensions are readily available.  Marketing a pistol cartridge that is intended to penetrate soft armor is going to be unlikely, but I bet there's someone out there who has rigged one up for private use.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 11:12:32 AM EDT
[#2]
The Five seveN's bullet velocity isn't that extreme.  I don't know what it is, but it's not like 2500-4000 fps or anything.

There is an outfit in CA selling boxes of saboted .223 bullets in the necked Tokarev round for $20.  Kind of like the poor man's 5.7mm round.  The guy says it really extends the reach of your Tokarev or CZ-52.
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 7:28:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks, I think it was the FN I read about. I did'nt realize the problems involved with it having the ability to penetrate soft bodyarmor.  I'm still curious about the bullet weight and velocity though. This gun I saw on t.v. looked like a Steyr M Series but had a tiny muzzle which caught my eye.
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 10:43:48 PM EDT
[#4]
The Five seveN (thanks for the correct capitalization, Raven  :) )is similar to the Steyr M series in that it is definitely futuristic looking.  A current issue of a gun mag in Safeway has an article on the pistol.  I think the bullet weight is around 40 grains.  Raven's right about the velocity.  I think it's in the 2100 fps range.  It has an extremely long taper and I think this was to aid penetration on woven ballistic armor.

.224 BOZ still seems like a better idea, but I haven't heard squat about it for a long time.    

Speaking about armor-piercing projectiles, I'd be curious to see what sort of penetration an cutting edged 800 grain arrow at 220 fps would have on a KTW plate vest combo.  Any hobbyist's out there with experience????

None of this flat-shooting pistol cartridge stuff is very new.  Apart from the CZ52 and the Tok,  Colt Industries had a project called the SCAMP in the late 60s, which used a bottleneck .22 cartridge in a large pistol that had select fire.  I think it even had a muzzle brake.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top