Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/22/2001 4:02:13 AM EDT
    Damn, I've always wanted one these rifles. Are they worth the price? Springfield has a promo on these right now, if you buy an M1A you can get a 6x40 Gov. model rangefinding scope and scope mount w/rings for $99 extra. Thats a huge f'in savings. I can can always mount my S.A. 6-20x56 G.M. on the M1A and save the 6x40 for a rainy day or sell it for profit. What do you guys think about this promo?

Alex
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 4:37:43 AM EDT
[#1]
I want the "White Feather" edition.  Drool, drool, drool...

Eddie
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 4:48:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I want the "White Feather" edition.  Drool, drool, drool...Eddie
View Quote

LS1Eddie, tell us more about the "WHITE FEATHER"
edition! Do you have a link?

Alexanderredhook, You the MAN WITH A PLAN!
I say go for it!
How much for the scope?

Link Posted: 7/22/2001 4:52:11 AM EDT
[#3]
    I just might go for it Hangfire T.Y. But What is the White Feather edition LS1Eddie?
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 9:11:40 AM EDT
[#4]
M1A is an awsome gun and you will not be disappointed.
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 10:17:58 AM EDT
[#5]
I saw a blip in the August edition of Shooting Times, page 71.

[url]http://www.springfieldarmory.com/whatsnew.shtml[/url]

A mere $3995.00

Eddie

Link Posted: 7/22/2001 11:14:23 AM EDT
[#6]
The SA M1A is an awesome weapon...just purchased mine a few months back, NM model 9102. I'm thinking of buying the scout version too just for grins. The deal from SA for the 6x40 is a damn good deal. You'll hear a lot of people say the SA scopes are not up to standards, that the optics aren't as clear as other manufacturers, they may be right but I have 2 Gov models that perform just great. For $99.00 I think they're a steal.

The M21 White Feather has a Kreiger chrome lined barrel with adjustable cheek piece, McMillan and a rear lugged receiver bolted through the stock. The trigger can also be adjusted. It shoots 1/2 MOA, just like the Super/NM models. These guns can outshoot the shooter anyway in my opinion.

You will not be disappointed in the M1A. They are so friggin fun to shoot, been picking off prairie dogs at 400 yards with it for awhile...not much left of them after being run over by a 308.

Link Posted: 7/22/2001 12:56:30 PM EDT
[#7]
The M1A is a fine weapon,I  intially got it over the Ar-10 a few years ago.One of the reasons I got it over the 10 was because of the promotion that came with it.However,I've heard of problems with the current M1A's due to lack of G.I. parts.Mine was a high # rifle(108###)and I did'nt have any problems,but I fired less than 3k round through it.I've heard the rifles with G.I. parts outlast the newer versions by several K rds.,unless you're doing a lot of shooting I don;t think it will mean much.

My $0.02
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 1:32:33 PM EDT
[#8]
I just sold my M1A "Loaded" and used the funds to purchase an Armalite AR10A4. In my opinion, there is no acceptable way to mount a scope for a consistent cheek weld and/or return to zero. MAYBE the Brookfield Precision mount would help on the latter but the gun was designed to be used with iron sights and there is NO way to get the scope low enough to the bore to get a consistent cheek weld. I still like my old Garand but we're talking about 50 year old technology and the Armalite's ergonomics, design, and familiarity with AR convinced me, sadly, to move on.
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 12:02:14 AM EDT
[#9]
    Are there any really negative aspects about this rifle? Please, I don't want to hear about this compared to other rifles, just the M1A. TY
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 12:04:23 AM EDT
[#10]
   Oh, and thank all of you who responded to this post, cause I am really interested in this rifle and always have been. TY
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 2:57:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 3:09:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Dose anyone know the S/N range when they started using cast repo parts?
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 3:11:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
    Are there any really negative aspects about this rifle? Please, I don't want to hear about this compared to other rifles, just the M1A. TY
View Quote
price of mags, cost of gun
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 3:31:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 6:46:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The M21 White Feather has a Kreiger chrome lined barrel
View Quote

Krieger barrels are single point cut and are not chrome lined.  
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 7:16:17 AM EDT
[#16]
I just mounted the gov. model 6x40 scope onto my SA M1A this sunday.  I haven't had the chance to shoot it, but my Lord does it look nice.  I can't stop playing with it.  Contrary to all of the negative skuttlebutt out there about the particular scope, for $99 dollars you get the scope, mount and rings... my sight picture is clear and for my purposes is more than adequate.  Since all that I use my rifles for is recreation at an indoor range, I almost think this beauty is too much weapon for me... It is a prize and is now my pride and joy.  Get one!  Learn it, Love it, become one with it! hehe
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 8:11:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Alexanderredhook,

OK, you asked.  Flasht already said it but maybe you didn't understand how critical what he said is.

The M1A is designed for iron sights.  Yes, there are good mounts available.  Brookfield Precision and  Smith Enterprise both build quality scope mounts for the M1a.  BUT....

No matter what you do, this rifle is designed for use with iron sights.  The alignment of the eye from a proper cheekweld to the stock is way too low for effective use of a scope.  Without this proper cheekweld you will not shoot consistantly with an M1A using a scope.

I know, they win matches.  But notice these matches don't use scopes???  The things are accurate and reliable.  I know.  I have one.  Still, NFG with scope.  I have a Tasco SS on a Smith Enterprise mount.  Nothing wrong with the scope, mount or rifle.  But together it doesn't work.,

The only solution is a new stock from McMillan.  Add $450-600 before you are done having it installed properly.  Or you can try some of the aftermarket leather/??? pads on the stock.  I've tried 'em.  Bzzt.  No good.

If I wasn't lazy and rich, I would sell my M1A and buy something else with the money.  Might do it soon just to clear out some room in the safe.  

James
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 8:36:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 2:16:54 PM EDT
[#19]
If you are a glutton for abuse, try Springfield's Starlight night vision scope.  It's heavy, emits a high pitch noise (just what you need stalking in the night), and has poor picture quality.  But it's really neat.
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 2:32:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Hey if you get one and can figure out the trick for removing the op rod during cleaning, you let me know OK?

Other than that, it is a sweet rifle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top