Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/19/2005 12:47:25 PM EDT
Would you rather:

A. Be reborn on your original birthday to your current family so that you could enjoy familiar people and surroundings but with a tremendous edge of knowing what the "likely" future will be. Obviously your actions would effect some changes.

B. Be reborn to a similar family of similar means today so that you could enjoy the advantages of the future but with the wisdom you currently possess. Obviously most would have a huge jump on the other kids (and even many teachers) in terms of intelligence and reasoning.

And for the sake of normalcy let's assume your self awareness of your current level of intelligence and memory wouldn't manifest itself until about the age of 6.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 12:49:23 PM EDT
[#1]
A.  Just b/c you could be insanely rich.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 12:49:58 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Would you rather:

A. Be reborn on your original birthday to your current family so that you could enjoy familiar people and surroundings but with a tremendous edge of knowing what the "likely" future will be. Obviously your actions would effect some changes.

B. Be reborn to a similar family of similar means today so that you could enjoy the advantages of the future but with the wisdom you currently possess. Obviously most would have a huge jump on the other kids (and even many teachers) in terms of intelligence and reasoning.

And for the sake of normalcy let's assume your self awareness of your current level of intelligence and memory wouldn't manifest itself until about the age of 6.

a) I would save up and buy a m-16 stripped lower. (Well get my dad to, I was almost 9 when the registration ban was enacted)

Edit: Buy Microsoft and Walmart stock, etc.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 12:50:09 PM EDT
[#3]
A.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 12:50:43 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
A.  Just b/c you could be insanely rich.

Nope - you'd just be insane.

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 12:52:00 PM EDT
[#5]
wouldn't you love to do it again, but fix some of the dumber mistakes you or your siblings made?

txl
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 12:53:01 PM EDT
[#6]
I could do more damage than Klinton ever thought of, in a good way.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 12:56:39 PM EDT
[#7]
My dad is an asshole, so I'll choose "B" and play the stock market.

ETA: and remember not to date that one psycho..
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 12:57:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Option A means that you'd like to live your life over, with your current knowledge, and your original birth date.

Option B means that you'd like to live your life over, knowing what you know now, with a new family and a birth date of today.

I pick Option A.  I'd change a few things; but not many.          

Option B offers too much devolution in terms of societial norms for me to accept.  I could not grow up today, knowing what I know, to accept the current reality.    

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:00:33 PM EDT
[#9]
A, without question.  I would do a LOT of things differently.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:01:02 PM EDT
[#10]
probably B
sure you could do stock pics with A, possibly even a lottery draw if you had some time to plan and memorize a date/number combo, but I'd rather see what future technology and stuff is to come rather than relive the past
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:07:39 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
wouldn't you love to do it again, but fix some of the dumber mistakes you or your siblings made?

txl

Yes bust rest assured you'd make other ones almost as dumb.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:09:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Re-born or go back in time? Huge difference.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:16:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Option A in a heartbeat.

I could have done so much better.  

I'd have asked Rebecca out on a date...and Jessica...and Amy...and the other Amy....   (Sigh) So many missed opportunities because I was so needlessly shy and insecure.

I wouldn't have stopped hitting Tommy so soon.  He deserved to be beaten so much worse, that  bully.

I would have invested in firearms a few years sooner.

Etc.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:23:38 PM EDT
[#14]

I would never want to relive certain things that happened that were beyond anyone's control - and especially not with the foreknowledge of it happening.

I'd opt for simply reliving a two-year span, like for me would be 1982-1984.

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:24:01 PM EDT
[#15]
No question: A

I'd buy Microsoft from the get-go, load up on Enron and know when the hell to get out and buy Walmart very, very early.  Exxon would get some serious attention in my portfolio, too.

I'd still marry my 1st wife because I love my sons so much and I'm so proud of them.

HH
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:27:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Tough call actually.  Option A, sure you could be rich, but I think it would get very boring after awhile...after all you have already lived it once.  Unless you took an active role in trying to change the events that happen, you would have to do things such as sit back and watch the Challenger blow up, suffer through the gas shortages, and while not affected by the stock market crashes you would have to deal with everyone else why they go through it.  Your friends would still do the same stupid stuff....ect.  Where as with B you get to be really smart and live a completely different and new life...many more possibilities.

I think I would go with option A but the question would become how active would you be in changing the future events that you know of?  Would you sit back and let 9/11 happen?  If you were able to stop it the world might never know how bad the Islamic extreamists were, the US wouldn't kick butt in Afganistan or Iraq, allowing Bin Laden to build his group up even larger and who knows maybe instead of a plane attack he's able to pull off a dirty bomb attack in NYC kill 100,000s instead of 3,000 and it would be your fault for changing the future and not having Bin Laden taken out early on.  Lots to think about.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:28:23 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Would you rather:

Another thought... nothing is for free.

And your 2nd chance at a "reborn" life is going to cost you:

Would you do the same if it meant that in your "reborn" life, you were limited to living just for as long as you are alive right now. In other words if you're 25 now, then in your reborn life you know you would die at age 25.

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:29:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:32:30 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I think I would go with option A but the question would become how active would you be in changing the future events that you know of?  Would you sit back and let 9/11 happen?  If you were able to stop it the world might never know how bad the Islamic extreamists were, the US wouldn't kick butt in Afganistan or Iraq, allowing Bin Laden to build his group up even larger and who knows maybe instead of a plane attack he's able to pull off a dirty bomb attack in NYC kill 100,000s instead of 3,000 and it would be your fault for changing the future and not having Bin Laden taken out early on.  Lots to think about.

Yep.

All it takes is a small change in your "reborn" life due to your foreknowledge which would be amplified years down the road. Small deviations from your previous "lifepath" could result in major changes, not all being necessarily good and certainly not predictable.

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:49:44 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Re-born or go back in time? Huge difference.

Option A. is back in time.

Option B. is reborn.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 2:49:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Most definately A.  I love my family...would not want a different one.

I've actually thought about such a scenario before, and how much fun it would be proving to my parents "who" I really was.

"Yep, see?  Told ya Reagan would get shot."

We'd also have to come to an understanding that I wasn't exactly a six year old, and I would not be treated as such.  I would be allowed much more discretion and freedom.  This, of course, would be a major problem and probably involve quite a few spankings.

"Look, I've told you.  For 35 years I have NOT liked broccholi, and never will like it.  You know this, yet you serve it to me anyways..I'm not going to eat it, and I sure as hell am NOT going to sit here until it's gone...HEY... OW! We've talked about THIS too!  OW! OW! OW!  DAMNIT!!!!, knock it off!!!  OW! OW! OW!.....Oh no I AM NOT losing my bike for a week!"

Yeah, it wouldn't all be easy.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:01:08 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Option A means that you'd like to live your life over, with your current knowledge, and your original birth date.

Option B means that you'd like to live your life over, knowing what you know now, with a new family and a birth date of today.

I pick Option A.  I'd change a few things; but not many.          

Option B offers too much devolution in terms of societial norms for me to accept.  I could not grow up today, knowing what I know, to accept the current reality.    

I'm with you. A. Hands down. Besides, I have preety great folks, and pretty great grand-folks (and HAD pretty great great-grand folks The AREA has it's PROBLEMS.... but still A.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:28:12 PM EDT
[#23]
No thanks. Nothing beats the innocence of childhood.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:29:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:32:01 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
No thanks. Nothing beats the innocence of childhood.

I was never that innocent.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:32:20 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
A, without question.  I would do a LOT of things differently.

I FULLY AGREE!!!  
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:32:33 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
As long as I was 21 before 1986 I would have all I needed in life.

I wasn't but I'd be explaining things to my Dad.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:33:31 PM EDT
[#28]
B as long as it doesn't shorten my current life ... so it would basically be reincarnation but with my full brains and awareness intact.

That would be great fun.

edit: I'd also want to make sure I have an equally efficient brain to the one I had in this life
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:34:12 PM EDT
[#29]
A.

I wouldn't have sinned so many times. Those vile sins of the flesh.  ARGHHHH!!!
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:48:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Option A:

I'd be laying pipe like Ron Jeremy, knowing then what I know now about women.  

I'd be loooaadddddeeeeddddd.  

I'd also kick the shit out of a few people along the way.....
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:09:25 PM EDT
[#31]
I suppose I would have enjoyed the breastfeeding more.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:10:51 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
My dad is an asshole, so I'll choose "B" and play the stock market.

ETA: and remember not to date that one psycho..

Now now, there's no need to talk about Gabby like that
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:14:17 PM EDT
[#33]
So what I am gathering is that I would be born on the same date and things in the world would go the same except I would have the memory that I have now. If that is the case, I would memorize a few of those $250M powerball tickets and be born to my same family but make us all rich.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top