Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/14/2005 11:26:51 AM EDT
I was in another town and stopped in to take a look around. Low and behold there is a Plainfield
M-1 Carbine. They had it on their clearance rack and the guy knew less about them than me and that is sad because I know nothing. Anyway it was missing the rear sliding peephole sight but other than that it appears functional. A few little dings and decent blue left on it, nothing major. After I knocked a little crust out of the bore it looks good. The damage out the door including taxes------ $164.00.  I don't know much about these except that GI models go for like 400-700 at the gunshow. Was it a good find or did I get hosed ? I figured for that price it wasn't much of a risk plus the guy said he had test fired it a couple of months ago and would give me 7 days to return it if I want. I'm going out to my uncle's this afternoon to test it out and I will post the results. If anyone has any advice on where to get the missing sight piece it would be appreciated, Brownells had the whole assembly (discontinued) but I didn't see the individual peephole part. Thanks

Lance

ETA: range report page 2

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:36:14 AM EDT
[#1]
For the individual parts for the M1 Carbine I'd contact Fulton-Armory (www.Fulton-Armory.com), they carry lots of parts & accessories for the M1 Carbine.

IMHO it looks like a commercial copy with that perferated metal handguard.  What do the markings on the receiver say?
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:38:50 AM EDT
[#2]
If it shoots good I'd say you made out like a....looter!

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:41:36 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
For the individual parts for the M1 Carbine I'd contact Fulton-Armory (www.Fulton-Armory.com), they carry lots of parts & accessories for the M1 Carbine.

IMHO it looks like a commercial copy with that perferated metal handguard.  What do the markings on the receiver say?

Oh it is a commercial copy from what I have read so far, I expected that. The receiver says:

PLAINFIELD MACHINE   DUNNELEN, NJ  CAL 30 M-1   S/N 20xxx

I knew it wasn't a treasure, we'll see how it shoots with no rear sight.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:43:53 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

It is a Plainfield and therfore a commercial copy but at $164 a good buy despite that fact.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:45:18 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
If it shoots good I'd say you made out like a....looter!

That's a great price for any M1 Carbine
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:46:26 AM EDT
[#6]
An excellent buy for that price.

Congrats.

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:52:15 AM EDT
[#7]
What's the difference between the m1-carbine and the ruger mini-14? Honestly, I don't know.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:52:21 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Thanks for the suggestion, looks like Fulton has the entire rear site assembly for $34.95, I'll contact them to see if they have that specific part I need.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:54:19 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
What's the difference between the m1-carbine and the ruger mini-14? Honestly, I don't know.

The Mini-14 is .223 and the M-1 is .30 Caliber Carbine. As far as mechanics I don't know if they are very similar or not.

ETA: they do look very similar cosmetically though now that I think about it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:00:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:01:53 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Caliber, the gas system is different, the M1 carbine has a FAR FAR better sight system, safety and magazine releases are different as well.

They might have a passing cosmetic similarity but mechanically they are very different beasts.  I'd take a good M1 carbine over a Mini-15 any day of the week (and I much prefer the 5.56 round to .30 Carbine).

I'm envious, that is a good price for any decent rifle.   My Dad has one and it was my favorite rifle to shoot when I was a kid, the M4 of it's time.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:02:44 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh it is a commercial copy from what I have read so far, I expected that. The receiver says:

How ironic is that rifle is illegal to own in DUNNELEN, NJ.

Yep, I bought my first one back in 1973 form Gene's Gun Room in Irvington. That picture brings back pleasant memories of long ago.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:13:48 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is a Plainfield and therfore a commercial copy but at $164 a good buy despite that fact.

The Plainfields are the very best of the commercial carbines, they are 100% parts interchangeable with GI carbines.

You can't ask for a better "shooter" carbine, GI models being so damn expensive now.

Thats a great deal you got.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:24:28 PM EDT
[#14]
IAI's go for $425 dealer cost and they aren't worth taking home. You did good.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:48:21 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a Rock-Ola M1 carbine - anybody have any idea how much it's worth?
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:55:17 PM EDT
[#16]
I picked up my Iver Johnson M1 Carbine at a gun show for $150.  I love that rifle.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:07:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Thats a damn good deal!
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:11:34 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Their gas system is very similar, the short stroke piston.  They even look similar.  The Mini is more like the M1 Carbine than an M14 anyway.

The M1 Carbine is .30 Carbine, a decent round, but thick padding like the Chicoms and the N Koreans wore could defeat.  Still not a bad home defense round and a nice, light, compact rifle, even with a full stock.

The Mini is 5.56x45/.223.  It is a better round and the Mini is a decent little rifle, disclaimers by those who have never owned one notwithstanding.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:13:37 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Caliber, the gas system is different, the M1 carbine has a FAR FAR better sight system, safety and magazine releases are different as well.

They might have a passing cosmetic similarity but mechanically they are very different beasts.  I'd take a good M1 carbine over a Mini-15 any day of the week (and I much prefer the 5.56 round to .30 Carbine).

I'm envious, that is a good price for any decent rifle.   My Dad has one and it was my favorite rifle to shoot when I was a kid, the M4 of it's time.

It's a Mini-14, not a Mini-15 and the gas systems are almost identical.  I also don't find the carbine's sights to be any better than those on the Mini.

That price is about right for a Plainfield.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:15:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Good buy.
Now strip out all non-GI parts and buy GI from Fulton Armory.
ETA: My grand dad passed his M1 carbine onto me, and I am a certified carbine addicts.
It is my SHTF rifle, and a handy and capable little rifle, despite what it's detractors says.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:18:00 PM EDT
[#21]
And I used to think I got kind of ripped off when I bought an all orginal Inland for $275.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:20:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Nice work!! You did great! That gun would probably bring $400-$450.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:21:51 PM EDT
[#23]
About the prettiest m1 stock I've seen; you did well.

-hanko
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:26:46 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Good buy.
Now strip out all non-GI parts and buy GI from Fulton Armory.
ETA: My grand dad passed his M1 carbine onto me, and I am a certified carbine addicts.
It is my SHTF rifle, and a handy and capable little rifle, despite what it's detractors says.

Plainfields are made from GI parts, on a Plainfield receiver.

Of course a GI stock, handguard, barrel band/bayonet lug would make it look just like a GI carbine.

They are great little rifles, my first gun was a carbine.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:30:57 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
It's a Mini-14, not a Mini-15

Whoo Wee you caught a typing error good for you.

and the gas systems are almost identical.

About the only thing I find similar about them is they both are under the barrel.

I also don't find the carbine's sights to be any better than those on the Mini.

You got to be 5H!TTING me.  The M1 Carbine has a protected front blade, the Mini's is out there ready to get wacked at the first opportunity.

The rear sight on an M1 is durable, protected, and easily adjustable.  The Mini uses a cheap stamped piece of metal that isn't nearly as easy to adjust and is completely unprotected.  I've seen better sights on Hi-Point carbines.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:45:10 PM EDT
[#26]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Their gas system is very similar, the short stroke piston. They even look similar. The Mini is more like the M1 Carbine than an M14 anyway.

The M1 Carbine is .30 Carbine, a decent round, but thick padding like the Chicoms and the N Koreans wore could defeat. Still not a bad home defense round and a nice, light, compact rifle, even with a full stock.

The Mini is 5.56x45/.223. It is a better round and the Mini is a decent little rifle, disclaimers by those who have never owned one notwithstanding.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

funny about that, but we had  a san diego police officer killed by one (30 carbine) aboout 15 years ago through his BPV with a shot in the back at about 25 feet. so the round is no pussy cat to be sure.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 2:58:15 PM EDT
[#27]
The M1 carbine uses a gas TAPPET system, not a piston.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 3:03:29 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Their gas system is very similar, the short stroke piston. They even look similar. The Mini is more like the M1 Carbine than an M14 anyway.

The M1 Carbine is .30 Carbine, a decent round, but thick padding like the Chicoms and the N Koreans wore could defeat. Still not a bad home defense round and a nice, light, compact rifle, even with a full stock.

The Mini is 5.56x45/.223. It is a better round and the Mini is a decent little rifle, disclaimers by those who have never owned one notwithstanding.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

funny about that, but we had  a san diego police officer killed by one (30 carbine) aboout 15 years ago through his BPV with a shot in the back at about 25 feet. so the round is no pussy cat to be sure.

That doesn't change the fact that Chicoms, on more than one occasion, would get up after being hit with one and keep charging.  Their winter clothes were pretty damn thick.

I am not knocking it, I just got a 1944 Inland.  Just saying that it is not nearly as strong a round as the 5.56/.223.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 3:04:14 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
The M1 carbine uses a gas TAPPET system, not a piston.

Well, eeeexxxxxccccuse me!  That is what a tappet is.  Carbine Williams called it a short stroke piston.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 3:09:13 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It's a Mini-14, not a Mini-15

Whoo Wee you caught a typing error good for you.

and the gas systems are almost identical.

About the only thing I find similar about them is they both are under the barrel.

I also don't find the carbine's sights to be any better than those on the Mini.

You got to be 5H!TTING me.  The M1 Carbine has a protected front blade, the Mini's is out there ready to get wacked at the first opportunity.

The rear sight on an M1 is durable, protected, and easily adjustable.  The Mini uses a cheap stamped piece of metal that isn't nearly as easy to adjust and is completely unprotected.  I've seen better sights on Hi-Point carbines.

I own or have owned both.  How about you?  The rear sight adjusts using an M16 sight tool.  Don't find it hard to adjust at all.

Whether the front sight is protected or not doesn't affect whether it works well or not.  The sight on the Mini works just fine.

Go look at the gas system.  Very similar.  Actually, the M1 uses a short stroke piston/tappet whereas the Mini does not, it acts on the op rod directly, IIRC.  So, maybe you are correct, but the gas system on the Mini is simpler and works well.

Don't make typos and there will be none to find.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 3:14:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 3:27:12 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Total and complete hooey. First off, the M1 carbine has ballistics similar to the .357 Mag. Do you think any winter clothing that is going to allow reasonable freedom of movement is going to stop a .357 Mag FMJ. Do you honestly believe that? Second, Chi-Com quilted winter clothing wasn't all that good or heavy. Third, anyone who walks away from a hit with a .30 carbine did not receive a fatal hit.

Since people rely so heavily on "my Uncle, Grand Pappy, Daddy" stories, My Daddy used the M2 carbine in combat in Korea. His experience was tha the M1/M2 carbine was no different than the M1 rifle or any other firearm, if you made a kill shot, they stayed dead. If you didn't, they kept going.

Also, see Old Painless's box of truth thread on the .30 carbine. That should satisfy any non believers.

Edit;

Excellent deal Lanceman. Plainfields are quality copies.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 3:34:30 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Total and complete hooey. First off, the M1 carbine has ballistics similar to the .357 Mag. Do you think any winter clothing that is going to allow reasonable freedom of movement is going to stop a .357 Mag FMJ. Do you honestly believe that? Second, Chi-Com quilted winter clothing wasn't all that good or heavy. Third, anyone who walks away from a hit with a .30 carbine did not receive a fatal hit.

Since people rely so heavily on "my Uncle, Grand Pappy, Daddy" stories, My Daddy used the M2 carbine in combat in Korea. His experience was the the M1 carbine was no different than the M1 rifle or any other firearm, if you made a kill shot, they stayed dead. If you didn't, they kept going.

Also, see Old Painless's box of truth thread on the .30 carbine. That should satisfy any non believers.

Actually, I posted that, not stormwalker.

You can call hooey all you want.  I had an uncle in Korea who hit a Chicom with 3 rounds from an M2 during December of 1952.  He said the guy got up and kept coming.  He then shot him in the head.  They found the rounds imbedded in the guy's clothing.  I will take the word of my uncle over you saying your "uncle said" any day of the week.

So, check all the "boxes of truth" you want, I don't care.  Yeah, if you walk away from  a hit, it was non-fatal.  However, a hit in the torso with the M1 Garand WAS indeed fatal due to the round being more powerful.  A shot in the same place wasn't fatal due to the round not being as strong and unable to penetrate the padding.  Saying that a fatal shot will keep them down is true, but a fatal shot with one type of round is not necessarily a fatal shot with another type.

Saying that the M1 carbine was no different from the M1 rifle is laughable.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 3:40:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 3:52:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Very nice Lance!

I bought a Universal M1 Carbine copy back in Texas several years ago.  It gave me a lot of trouble.  After several trips to the gunsmith, it finally functions and I have fun with it.

You got the next best thing to a GI there.  Nice catch.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:02:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Nice carbine.

Nice deal too.

. . . .but comparing the .30 carbine to the .357 mag, or 30-06 is just silly.

Typically, it's a straightwall cased, .30 cal 110grain round nose FMJ going about 1900fps.

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:05:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:15:06 PM EDT
[#38]
I too find these claims that .30 carbine bullets were stopped by heavy clothing very, very suspect. I don't care who has claimed to seen what. I have seen the materials a 110 gr .30 carbine FMJ bullet will penetrate. They are no slouches. And they sure as hell aren't going get stopped by a heavy coat. There have been several cases of cops being shot to pieces by this round after making swiss cheese of vests that would normally stop a .357 magnum round in it's tracks. If a .30 carbine can't penetrate heavy clothing, folks using those much wimpy by comparison .357 magnums better get themselves a better gun.  My opinion? The failures to stop or penetrate sufficiently were the result of shots that simply missed, richochets that did not strike with full power, other items contained inside the clothing that resulted in the stop, max range hits when the velocity was low or bullets that passsed through extremities or the outer layer of loose fitting clothing without making solid body contact. And last but not least, some of the issues may have been the result of carbines who's barrels simply had their rifling worn away from heavy use.

If one is worried about lack of stopping power however, get yourself some Remington 110 gr SP's. Their performance meets or exceeds the best .223 soft points and is much more effective than 110 gr FMJ. They also do well after penetrating barriers such as windshields.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:54:32 PM EDT
[#39]
I bought one of these around 1977...Shot the shit out of it and the only issue I ever had with it was a broken extractor.

Put thousands of rounds thru it....I sold it a couple of years ago as it was beginning to show it's age through wear and tear...

ETA...Thats about what I paid for it new....
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:02:46 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I too find these claims that .30 carbine bullets were stopped by heavy clothing very, very suspect. I don't care who has claimed to seen what. I have seen the materials a 110 gr .30 carbine FMJ bullet will penetrate. They are no slouches. And they sure as hell aren't going get stopped by a heavy coat. There have been several cases of cops being shot to pieces by this round after making swiss cheese of vests that would normally stop a .357 magnum round in it's tracks. If a .30 carbine can't penetrate heavy clothing, folks using those much wimpy by comparison .357 magnums better get themselves a better gun.  My opinion? The failures to stop or penetrate sufficiently were the result of shots that simply missed, richochets that did not strike with full power, other items contained inside the clothing that resulted in the stop, max range hits when the velocity was low or bullets that passsed through extremities or the outer layer of loose fitting clothing without making solid body contact. And last but not least, some of the issues may have been the result of carbines who's barrels simply had their rifling worn away from heavy use.

If one is worried about lack of stopping power however, get yourself some Remington 110 gr SP's. Their performance meets or exceeds the best .223 soft points and is much more effective than 110 gr FMJ. They also do well after penetrating barriers such as windshields.

Could the extremely COLD winters during the Korean conflict have a bearing on this?  Don't know, just asking.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:05:21 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll give you $167.50 plus shipping for it!

As I understand it, most all G.I. Carbines will bring $400-$500 even with non-matching parts, but I am no expert...Hell, I should have kept several I bought in the late '60's at $50-$65 each!

Speaking of matching parts...............my Inland has a 1944 barrel by one of the other makers (I can't recall right now) of GI carbines.  Wasn't that normal back during WWII?

It also still has the original M1 flat bolt instead of the M2 round bolt with which a lot of M2s were later fitted.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:15:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Range report :  After a couple of test shots with extended arms I attempted to hit a target. I remind you this darlin' is missing the rear peephole sight so I had to "find" the sight line. You can see the results, the first 5 or so shots were to the right and high then once I figured it out the last three were dead on at 20 yards.

The result ? It's a Keeper I didn't want to shoot to much ammo because locally all I could find was one 50 box of Remington UMC 110 gr. FMJ ($17) so I am saving the rest until I can get some more through the mail. It functioned flawlessly, I cleaned it well before shooting and after, the bore is not bad at all, looks very nice IMO. The safety, trigger, bolt, etc all are crisp and I like it. Dammit, now I have to get another one, a GI model, oh well there is an empty slot in the safe

As far as the ballistics debate, I have shot many living things (mainly deer) and have seen a 30-06 let one run 500 yards and a 22-250 drop one dead so here are two words for ya:

SHOT PLACEMENT

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:27:03 PM EDT
[#43]
I've owned a M1 Carbine and a Mini-14 Ranch.

I'll take the Carbine every day and twice on Sunday.

For $170 I'd take it twice a day, every day, and three times on Sunday.

Good find man. I hope your luck rubs off on me.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:27:10 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll give you $167.50 plus shipping for it!

As I understand it, most all G.I. Carbines will bring $400-$500 even with non-matching parts, but I am no expert...Hell, I should have kept several I bought in the late '60's at $50-$65 each!

Speaking of matching parts...............my Inland has a 1944 barrel by one of the other makers (I can't recall right now) of GI carbines.  Wasn't that normal back during WWII?

It also still has the original M1 flat bolt instead of the M2 round bolt with which a lot of M2s were later fitted.

Totally normal.
There is no such thing as an "all matching" Carbine.
Any that are, are either anomolies, or forgeries.
They were designed to be "mix-master"
Army specs designated that as one of the desires (poorly worded, but I can't think right now)
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:45:38 PM EDT
[#45]
I almost forgot, the best part about the whole deal was me helping the guy with the 4473, showing him I had every thing right (I could fill one out blindfolded ) I was in Georgia and just for fun when he asked for my Drivers License I gave him my Florida Concealed License as well, then he started asking me about it, repricosity, etc, said he was thinking about getting one. The best part was that they didn't charge me $5 for the background check, I guess it was inclusive in the total price, I wasn't going to ask anyway.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:48:48 PM EDT
[#46]
For $165, a Plainfield could be a really really good deal!  I had one, and it was actually pretty good!  From what I understand, Plainfield M1 Carbines were some of the best commercial copies made.  

I could knock over bowling pins at 100 yards easy with mine.  I wish I hadn't sold it.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:50:20 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

$35. You should sell it to me.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:06:40 PM EDT
[#48]
If anybody knows, when I was picking up my brass it was all forward and right of my placement, I am assuming this is normal. Should it be kicking the casings back or throwing them forward ?
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:19:30 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How ironic is that rifle is illegal to own in DUNNELEN, NJ.

LOL FrankSquid  Very ironic indeed.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:36:20 AM EDT
[#50]
My dad ran across a m1 carbine in storage-i'm waitin for it :). His dad bought it during the Watts Riots and AFAIK hasn't been touched since. Recall seeing it briefly during a move, has wood handguard above the barrel-i'm assuming its a gi. Can't wait to get my paws on it.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top