Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2001 8:30:24 AM EDT
I may have to take an business trip to the country of Belize to inventory aprox. 20,000 acres of timber and mark for sale....I know that central america isn't the nicest place in the world and I was wondering if there was a chance if I could take my handgun...anyone familiar with this area?
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 8:50:28 AM EDT
[#1]
All I know is that they have a lot of kidnapping and ransom shit going down around there.  I don't know if you could take a pistol with you down there, but you might be able to buy a weapon for protection there.
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 9:00:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
All I know is that they have a lot of kidnapping and ransom shit going down around there.  I don't know if you could take a pistol with you down there, but you might be able to buy a weapon for protection there.
View Quote

A lot of kidnapping & ransom shit going on in Belize!?!?!?!  I doubt it.

Link Posted: 7/21/2001 9:11:37 AM EDT
[#3]
I know that central america isn't the nicest place in the world and I was wondering if there was a chance if I could take my handgun...anyone familiar with this area?
View Quote

I am not familar with the laws in Belize, but when I was in Honduras and other countries down there. I was supprised to find out that most do not allow firearms for private citizens or tourists. But you would not believe how many people to carry. WOW. Later found out that the majority do so illeagly, or pay for the privledge.

I would highly recommend that you research the laws down there. But I have a gut feeling that you will not be allowed to bring in your own firearm(s).

Afterwards and looking back, I had no issues with the locals. At least in Honduras. I was very paranoid for the majority of the trip (not used to not haveing a firearm close by). But at the end, I mellowed and realized that I didn't have much to worry about.

Stay mellow, don't wear flashy clothes. Look at the locals and dress accordingly (blend in). One thing, don't wear a ball cap and sunglasses. That is a sure sign for everyone that you are a foreigner. Weird, I know but true.
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 9:12:42 AM EDT
[#4]
From my international travels I would say there is very little chance you can take a firearm into another country.  Sounds as if you stay away from drugs & are mostly in the country you will be fine.

"• Interpol puts the reported crime rate in Belize at 10 reports per 100 population per year, twice the rate of the U.S. but less than the reported rate in Canada and half that in
Guatemala.

• There has been a spate of gun-related murders in Belize City. In August, ’93, two police
officers were killed by gunfire. Some citizens are now arming themselves, with guns brought in from the U.S. or Guatemala. Some claim that as many as 5,000 to 7,000 residents of Belize City carry guns. Belizean police, like British Bobbies of old, do not carry guns.

• Murders have increased, say police, to about six a month in Belize. That’s a large number considering that the population of the entire country is only 195,000.

• Police attribute part of the problem to youth gangs patterned after U.S. gangs. The two large gangs in Belize City are the Crips and the Bloods. The presence of crack and other drugs in Belize City also contributes to a high crime rate. Authorities have banned the wearing of red and blue handkerchiefs, symbols of the gangs. Some Belizeans say the threat of gangs are overstated, that most members are unemployed adolescents who are copycatting what they see on U.S. TV, but that most gang members are not involved in crime.

[red]• Outside Belize City, crime is much less of a problem. The cayes and the Cayo District
with its Mayan ruins and jungle lodges have relatively few crime problems, authorities say.[/red]

• One of Belize’s main export crops is “Belize Breeze,” potent grass grown on farms off the Old Northern Highway or elsewhere in under-populated Belize. Remote airstrips are also said to be trans-shipment points for cocaine and other drugs en route from South America to the U.S.

• Some Belizeans worry that, if and when the British Defense Forces complete their announced pull-out from Belize that drug growers, drug dealers and other undesirables will have a freer range in Belize."
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 9:21:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Honestly I am not looking forward to the trip.  I will probably spen 6 months down there....I am not a pussy but a remote jungle isn't very appealing to me.  Hell, I have cruised timber in steep ass slopes in West Virginia, bogs in Maine and swamps in central Florida but central america scares the $hit out of me.  I am more worried about diseases and flys that leave more than bumps and snakes (bushmasters, Fer-de-lance, ect).  Drug runners scare me to, you never know what you will find in 20,000 acres of remote jungle......maybe if I had an army to go with me but there are only 4 of us in the company.
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 10:01:05 AM EDT
[#6]
I also have to take a trip outside of this free country. I have to visit New Jersey.
I know that firearms and self-defense are prohibited. Does anyone know if it is legal to scream if you are being attacked by predatory criminals?
(or must you remain totally silent during the episode?)
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 10:20:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 5:46:38 PM EDT
[#8]
I lived in costa rica for a year, and have some family in el salvador.  
  My grandmothers friend was murdered a couple years ago in his farm (in el salvador), but again this was in a jungle-type area, with no one near by.  KEEP IN MIND THAT HIS FAMILY WAS THERE, AND SO WERE THE MAIDS.  A family member was killed there(el salvador) about 3 years ago.  They stole his car, and killed him.      
  Costa rica isnt that bad though, the people are just scared of burglers.  It was cool though, the U.S. embasy had this white truck going around the neighborhood (we lived near the ambasador) full of guys with shotguns.    
  My advice is, stay with a group, and dont go exploring in the very remote area's, cause that's when problems happen.  Even in the national parks, if you go, try to stay on a trail with many people.  Those places, at least in Costa Rica, have only a  couple of guards for a several square mile area.
  If you take a gun, it will probabely be confiscated.  When we moved to CR, they took them for about 3 months, then we went to the head of the customs people dealing with fire arms, and got him to sign a paper releasing them.

Have fun, and dont worry, thousands of people go to central america every year, and you dont often hear things  about them getting hurt.
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 8:40:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Oh, I forgot to mention...

I met the nicest drug dealer in my life in Tela. Nicest, as in the most polite. Looking back it was funny as hell.

The guy was a really grundgy looking local on a bicycle. He rides up to me and in PERFECT english (better than me) and asks "Pardon me, would you like like some coke or pot?" The "Pardon me" part just made me drop my jaw.

I just looked at him and said nicely "No thank you". He just looked at me and said "Oh, ok. But if you hear of someone looking, please send them my way. I have nice stuff and I don't don't over charge. I live in the old train station, I know it doesn't look very nice, but I have cleaned up a room over there really nice. Just knock on window frame."

I just stood there watching him ride over to the old train station, lean his bike against the wall and climb in the window. From where I was standing, I could see that he did in fact clean up a room.

It will be a long time before I get that image out of my head.

The most polite drug dealer in the world. Weird.
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 10:05:35 PM EDT
[#10]
They speak English in Belize.  That puts them on my short list of cool countries.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top