Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/19/2001 1:08:39 PM EDT
Went to one a couple of weeks ago.
Ammo deals about the only thing going.  Out the door with case of Wolf 7.62 for 79 bucks

AR's  Ha!!  Postbans 800+ used
Prebans 1500 + for part guns
Mags $30+ for USGI used $40+ NIW
I finally asked one guy why he liked carrying this stuff around from show to show since  he obviously wasn't  selling any! (got a real dirty look for that little nugget of unsolicited advice :)  ! )

I have been looking for a used 686 S&W .357 SS 4" barrel.  Three at the show at different tables.  $370+ in 80-90% shape.  I asked one guy what he would take cash for the best one and he said " If I would take less, I would have marked it less."   Guess he likes carrying crap around too.

Looking at WWII 1911 pistols Shooters,not collectors.  $750+ mis-matched  slides on all three!

And my favorite!!!!
SKS with large sign "RUSSIAN SKS" taped to stock  and a $375 tag.  Hmmm...I wonder, why is it stamped "MADE IN CHINA"  on the lower.  I assume just mis-labeled.  I point it out to the guy at the table.  "Oh no", he assures me,  "the Chinese did some contract work for the Russians and it was a Russian gun with a few imported parts..Real rare, sure to go up in value"  Thanks for the tip bub, I think I'll pass.

Why do I go??????

Link Posted: 7/19/2001 1:16:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Most gun shows around where i live are the same way. Overpriced crap. Some of it not even real. One guy at a gun show wanted to sell me a turkish Mauser for 120.00 that was in sh*tty shape!!!! I can get one for 40.00 from J&G Sales in Good/VG shape. I mainly go just to look the guns and haggle dealers about there outrageous prices.
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 1:18:38 PM EDT
[#2]
WW1 Checkered Knob German Luger in 90% condition all matching with 2 extra mags in holster for $300?
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 1:21:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Because sometimes a rube from California will trade you a Pre-Ban AR15 Essential Arms rifle straight across for a Jam-o-Matic Mac10. Then at the same show you meet a guy selling 85%+ 20rd Universal Industries mags for $10each. Or the guy with NIW Para Ord P14 mags for $60. Wade through the bull sheeite and sometimes ya find a gem. If nothing else, you get to feel superior about your own vast firearms knowledge.
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 1:32:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 1:34:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Usually some good ammo prices. Always looking for reloading materials, like once fired brass, primers & powder with paying Hazmat fee, but bullets are iffy in price.  Mags are something to look for, and usually safe dealers have show specials.
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 1:38:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I love gun shows too man,But if you dont know your sht,you can definitley get ripped the fuc off.
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 1:41:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Hey Striker...
Are you allowed to have .50 BMG's in Canada?
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 1:45:08 PM EDT
[#8]
The smell of Hoppes #9 in the air.
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 2:58:42 PM EDT
[#9]
I guess I go because I always have. I keep hoping that the good old days of gun shows will return along with Bush! That being said the only deals I got were form walkers that had just been insulted by those on the other side of the table.

Link Posted: 7/19/2001 4:16:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
... If nothing else, you get to feel superior about your own vast firearms knowledge.
View Quote

Ain't that the truth.  Always willing to share my knowlege with the unwashed masses!  :)

One thing I really enjoy is going with some of my gun loving buddies.Each one knows EVERYTHING about some obscure firearm niche.  I know a guy that can tell you t everything you ever wanted to know about  trench guns. Always trading up.  It is a real treat to watch him evaluate a trench gun at show.  If the seller is legit, it is enlightening to listen to the conversation.  If the seller doesn't know jack, but is a regular guy, he will talk to him and educate him in a very non-threating manner, man to man.  If the seller starts spouting BS with an attitude, he is without mercy!!
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 6:11:06 PM EDT
[#11]
I also love goin' with a group of guys who have $$$ and knowledge. Some gun show dealers are great fun to talk and bargain with, some are excellent whipping boys for the enlightened.Kinda like pawn shops.
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 6:32:40 PM EDT
[#12]
If the one ammunition dealer who makes the rounds at the SoCal gunshows stops selling, then the only reason that I would continue going would be for socializing.  Unless you walk there, the local shows around here cost you $6 to park and $8 to get in the door.  You have to find some really good deals to make it worthwhile.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 6:45:03 PM EDT
[#13]
The shows near me stink. If they come around I go if not I buy things on the net. I have better luck shopping online. Between the gun stores and gun shows I like the computer better.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top