Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/19/2001 11:13:41 AM EDT
If you where/are in the military and a commanding officer ordered you to shoot civilians would you? or would accept that the CO will most likely execute you right then and there?
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 11:25:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Not if I shoot him first!...and declare him "Casualty of war".
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 11:26:39 AM EDT
[#2]
That would be a hard decision to make. I don't think I could do it. I have heard stories of German soldiers from WW2 being charged with war crimes, but theres a choice to make. Either follow orders or shoot "innocent" civilians(assuming they have done nothing to warrant me killing them). The time and place would place a big role too. If an all out war took place and the civilians are aiding the enemies cause then measures would have to be taken to stop them aka kill them.
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 11:30:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Unless the civilians were firing on servicemembers or attempting to break into an armory, hell no.

As I told andreusan on another post: any officer giving orders to his troops to fire on US citizens would most likely get shot himself. Oops, an accidental discharge.

FMCDH
Semper Fidelis
Jarhead out.

----------------------
"There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes, and the other is the Bill of Rights."
--Major General Smedley D. Butler, USMC
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 12:06:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 12:54:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 1:06:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 1:11:14 PM EDT
[#7]
No, I would not shoot unarmed civilians. But I'm afraid some soldiers would. I've always been someone who thought for myself, but I've known many Marines who pretty much do what they are told, as the are trained to. One of the reasons I got out, too much control, too much brain-washing.
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 5:38:52 PM EDT
[#8]
[b]Only if they were New Yorkers ! [/b]
[frag]
[heavy]
[rocket]
[shotgun]
[uzi]
...just kidding     [):)]
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 6:12:14 PM EDT
[#9]
FWIW
In WWII we bombed cities in Germany and Japan with no pretense of trying to hit a factory or anything.

But when things get that bad, and you're making a P&J sandwich for your husband who is going to a factory to make subs or bombs...
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 6:14:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top