Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 8/29/2005 3:45:49 PM EDT
Post here (I hope this don't get labelled "DUPE" ... please have mercy, dupe police!
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 3:46:44 PM EDT
[#1]
they are coming hide your dog(s)
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:11:19 PM EDT
[#2]
The other thread is almost done so I will post my question here. Has anyone heard anything about the condition of the north side of the lake? I have family in LaCombe that no one has heard from since last Friday.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:25:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Now that the storm is decreasing in intensity but the town is flooded in many parts, are those people in the Superdome going to stay there indefinitely?
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:37:39 PM EDT
[#4]
tag
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:19:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:22:32 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Mississippi Gov. Barbour... "we will deal with looting ruthlessly."

2 to the chest 1 to the head??  That would be my order if I was governor.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:23:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:29:40 PM EDT
[#8]
OP, could you bold the thread title?

Jesus, thats not something you see everyday!
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:39:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Anita Vogel say the warer is still rising in NO
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:42:52 PM EDT
[#10]

Tag.

Bigfeet
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:49:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quite a few houses in my neighborhood were flooded when I went to work at 6am.  They were still flooded at 6pm when I was coming home. (Ft. Walton Beach, FL)  The tide was about 6'-8' above normal.

ETA: Link to WKRG5 news out of Mobile.  WKRG5
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:51:20 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Quite a few houses in my neighborhood were flooded when I went to work at 6am.  They were still flooded at 6pm when I was coming home. (Ft. Walton Beach, FL)  The tide was about 6'-8' above normal.

Your house is ok??

Good Luck
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:52:21 PM EDT
[#13]
12+ hour days 7 days a week again.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:54:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:59:48 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your house is ok??

Good Luck

Not a scratch.  The wind here was minimal.  25-30mph most of the day with some 40mph+ gusts.  It was the storm surge that did all the damage here.  This was an intense storm.  The surge was almost equal to hurricane Dennis.  Except Dennis made landfall only 30 miles away and Katrina was about 175 miles away.  I work over on Okaloosa island, the barrier island off Okaloosa county.  We're right on the beach.  The gulf was solid whitewater for over a quarter mile out.  Saw some 20'+ waves.  Some of the bigger sets were washing up about 10' above normal sea level.

ETA: Few people west of us (NW FL) have power.  It might be awhile before we hear from some of our Alabama member.  I hope they're OK.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:02:08 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
The gulf was solid whitewater for over a quarter mile out.  Saw some 20'+ waves.  Some of the bigger sets were washing up about 10' above normal sea level.

Wow, I bet that was an awesome sight.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:03:52 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
The other thread is almost done so I will post my question here. Has anyone heard anything about the condition of the north side of the lake? I have family in LaCombe that no one has heard from since last Friday.

I;m wondering about Mandeville?
Will my sister have a home left?
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:17:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Man on the news in Biloxi just described his wife being washed away when their house split in half.  He said there were more bodies laying around on the ground.  He was unable to find his wife.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:17:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Is that WKRG link working for anyone? It isn't loading for me.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:19:19 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Man on the news in Biloxi just described his wife being washed away when their house split in half.  He said there were more bodies laying around on the ground.  He was unable to find his wife.

How awfull.

This is so bad.  Think I will try to go and give blood and make a donation to the Red Cross.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:20:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Can we get new links posted for streaming broadcasts?
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:20:21 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Is that WKRG link working for anyone? It isn't loading for me.

I just checked, it's working for me.  It's the same broadcast I'm watching on TV.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:21:36 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Can we get new links posted for streaming broadcasts?

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:34:38 PM EDT
[#24]
i have a friend and his family in mandeville that rode out the storm in a shleter. havent been able to get through to him on the cell since sunday afternoon. any info on that are would be much appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:42:27 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
i have a friend and his family in mandeville that rode out the storm in a shleter. havent been able to get through to him on the cell since sunday afternoon. any info on that are would be much appreciated.

Most of the cell towers were probably blown down.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:02:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Never could get WKRG to load. WPMI came up- they're off the air. The folowing is from WALA-

210,000 Alabama Power customers are without power. The utility says some outages could be "prolonged".

Alabama Gov. Bob Riley declared a state of emergency.

The storm hammered Alabama's coast Monday with huge waves and tree-bending winds.

Water swirled in the streets of Gulf Shores, where all-day curfew was declared.

In downtown Mobile, floodwaters covered an interstate ramp and swirled toward the sandbagged Mobile Register building They just spent millions on a new press

Evacuations: All coastal and low-lying areas of south Mobile County and the beachfront and flood-prone areas of Baldwin County were told to leave.

Flooding reported on Dauphin Island. At one point a report said parts of the island were under 7' of water

Gulf Shores and Fairhope under curfew all day Monday.

Alabama Highway officials closed the Cochrane-Africatown Bridge after it was struck by an oil drilling platform that broke free in Mobile Bay. They have no idea where the platform came from, but said it apparently broke free from its moorings.

Police have advised hurricane sightseers to stay off roadways today in Mobile County and in Mobile because of flooding. Road conditions are expected to worsen as Hurricane Katrina passes. Reports of downed trees and power lines are coming in. Several major streets in downtown Mobile are flooded.

Alabama Attorney General Troy King says he will prosecute businesses and contractors that gouge their customers while Alabama is under a state of emergency due to Hurricane Katrina. King said home repair fraud remains the most serious problem, and is a particular threat during times of natural disaster.

Cities in Mobile County announced a curfew effective immediately. The dusk-until-dawn curfew remains in effect until further notice. Only people with an emergency or required to go to work will be allowed while this curfew is in effect for Hurricane Katrina.

Gulfport, Mississippi Fire Chief Pat Sullivan, who ventured into the hurricane to check threatened areas told the session that his city had suffered a critical blow. He says 75 percent of the buildings in Gulfport have major roof damage if they have a roof left at all.

A rescue crew of 28 people and six search dogs left for Biloxi to help look for people that might be trapped in buildings damaged from Hurricane Katrina.

Officials say Interstate 10, the major east-west route, was closed in Harrison County, Mississippi due to flooding from the Biloxi River. Wind collapsed walls at Harrison Central High School, which was closed. Even emergency officials had problems - a foot of water spilled into the Hancock County emergency management offices. One of my brothers lives 15 m North of I10 above Biloxi. Can't get thru to his cell- get a phone co message.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:06:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:09:04 PM EDT
[#28]
50 confirmed dead in Harrison Co. Mississippi.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:12:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Gulfport had whole apartment buildings wash out to sea.  Twelve feet underwater currently.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:15:15 PM EDT
[#30]

What was the source, Max?  

I haven't seen many casualty estimates yet.  CNN just reported "at least three dead."
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:15:53 PM EDT
[#31]
tagged
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:16:05 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I haven't seen many casualty estimates yet.  CNN just reported "at least three dead."

I just heard 55 on CNN.

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/08/29/D8C9STH80.html

Jeanne Meserve is crying on the air ... damn
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:17:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Is this CNN correspondant crying?
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:18:21 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Gulfport had whole apartment buildings wash out to sea.  Twelve feet underwater currently.

I bet Keesler AFB is a farking wreck.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:18:50 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

News out of Mobile quoted an AP source.  Keep in mind that's just one county.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:19:23 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Is this CNN correspondant crying?

Yes.  She says the water is rising in NO, and her cameraman saw bodies floating in the water
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:21:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Based on her report, I'm afraid we're going to find this is a nightmare situation tomorrow.

Screaming people that the rescuers cant get to?  

Prayers.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:26:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Apparently one "ward" of NO is completely inaccessible.....Ward 9 was not the worst area, and it looked very bad.  Some areas have houses with water up to their rooftops.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:27:33 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

That where they're saying a lot of the deaths were.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:29:10 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Gulfport has a population of 70,000.  I believe I heard a FEMA person estimate that they got 30-40,000 out of there before it hit.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:31:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Won't all of Katrina's rainfall flow into the Missippi, and then flow down into the New Orlean's area?
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:35:56 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Based on her report, I'm afraid we're going to find this is a nightmare situation tomorrow.

Screaming people that the rescuers cant get to?  

Prayers.

It's not going to be good.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:36:44 PM EDT
[#43]
I fear the death toll will keep rising, god bless
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:37:32 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Gulfport has a population of 70,000.  I believe I heard a FEMA person estimate that they got 30-40,000 out of there before it hit.

Having been at Keesler which is in Biloxi right next to Gulfport, that whole area is only a few feet above Sea Level and right on the Gulf.   Anyone staying put in that area was just asking for it or plain foolish.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:37:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Starting to hear reports of looting.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:42:45 PM EDT
[#46]

Yes. She says the water is rising in NO, and her cameraman saw bodies floating in the water

The cameraman is on cnn right now
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:45:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Keesler AFB report

Keesler Air Force base has survived a direct hit by a Hurricane Katrina a Category 4 hurricane. Initial assessment shows extensive damage to our industrial and housing areas. We are deploying assessment crews and are in contact with the Federal Emergency Management Agency and with commanders of many military bases who have offered assistance. The damage is severe enough that we are unable to leave our shelters until Thursday at the earliest in order to assure our recovery teams have cleared debris and made it safe for us and our families to return home. Brigadier General Lord and your leadership promises to keep you apprised of the progress of our recovery teams and release you to go home and assess your own damage as soon as it is safe for your family to travel. All pets at the Keesler pet shelter are in good health and weathered this extremely dangerous storm safely. We are doing everything within our power to clear the way and provide the best immediate and long term assistance to help each one of us in order to recover from the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. Brigadier General Lord wants you to know we are not alone and will do everything we can to keep you safe and get you home as soon as possible. Please be patient. We all need to pull together and help us all make it through this difficult time safely.

http://www.keesler.af.mil/
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:46:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Apparently the water is still rising, and people are stuck in their attics and can't get out or stuck on their roofs with nowhere to go.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:48:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Sharing a dark attic with cockroaches and snakes all night doesn't sound terribly fun.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:06:04 PM EDT
[#50]
CNN:  Twenty square miles of New Orleans are under water, according to official in New Orleans.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top