Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/18/2001 12:40:15 PM EDT
Four Shooting Deaths Shock Vermont
by WILSON RING
Associated Press Writer

MONTPELIER, Vt. (AP) -- Last Friday night, state troopers called to a mobile home in Belvidere confronted a crime not seen in Vermont in more than a half-century: Four people had been shot to death.

Over the past 18 months, law enforcement and community leaders have seen a string of random, multiple murders and strong increases in various categories of crime in Vermont, long known as one of the safest states.

Police attribute at least part of the increase, especially the rise in property crime, to a burgeoning drug problem: the arrival of low-cost, high-grade heroin. But there seems to be no common denominator to the slayings.

''There has been an ugly run of events that happen from time to time,'' said Vermont Defender General Robert Appel. ''I am not sure one can discern a pattern from a run of events.''

[b]On Saturday, Douglas Provost, 34, of Fairfax was arrested on murder charges in the shootings in Belvidere, a rural community of about 300 people, 40 miles from Vermont's largest city, Burlington. Police said the shooting happened while Provost was trying to trade a gun for marijuana.

Provost said that the first victim was shot accidentally and that he shot the others in self-defense.[/b]

What an idiot!
Yeah man....... check this out, it's worth about *BANG*  oh, shit!

BANG
BANG
BANG

oh..... shit........, I might as well take the weed.     I wonder if there's a beer in the fridge...........
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 1:17:59 PM EDT
[#1]
There goes the "Vermont style" gun laws everyone wanted.
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 1:34:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Yup.  Obviously due to Vermont's lax gun-control laws.  

You know, of course, that this killing will be reported as having been committed by someone authorized to carry  concealed.  (Without mentioning, of course, that EVERYBODY in Vermont is "authorized to carry concealed".)

Link Posted: 7/18/2001 1:38:44 PM EDT
[#3]
That just proves that the crime rate soars with an influx of liberals into an area.
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 1:58:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Once again, drug prohibition results in another unintended consequence.
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 12:06:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Damn; there goes half the population!  [:)]

Uggh.  Drugs again.  It looks like "big city" problems are visiting the country.

Aside from the gun laws, Vermont's traditional libertarian views may be called into question.  I'd be curious to see if the police start handling drug cases differently than they did in the past.

Mike
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 7:04:01 AM EDT
[#6]
(now, my opinions)
i dont understand KBaker's statement though about the incident  "obviously due to Vt's lax gun laws.." dont see the connection.
what is that supposed to mean pal?
this thing doesnt happen in your neck of the woods?

the PROBLEM wasnt with the gun. guys, youre all starting to think like the media. think before you make a statement.
View Quote

Seeing as everyone in here is a fan of the evil baby-killing fully-automatic designed-to-spray-death-from-the-hip high-capacity ugly black gun that no deer hunter needs, I would have thought that sarcastic irony would be understood.  I guess not.  

Perhaps I should type more slowly?
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 6:35:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
kbaker,

i suppose we are just slow here and cant pick up on your wit and humor.  or you are probably just an asshole.
View Quote
You are way out of line.  He was being sarcastic, everyone else caught it.
Without mentioning, of course, that EVERYBODY in Vermont is "authorized to carry concealed
View Quote
Not convicted felons or those involved in drug use or drug trafficking.
Aside from the gun laws, Vermont's traditional libertarian views may be called into question. I'd be curious to see if the police start handling drug cases differently than they did in the past.
View Quote
This makes no sense at all.  What do the libertarian views have to do with it and how do the police handle drug cases differently from anywhere in the country?  If drugs in Vermont were handled with the 'libertarian view' and decriminalized, this probably would not have happened.  Partially, this is a result of the bogus 'war on drugs'.  This guy owning a gun was already illegal under even Vermont law and definitely under Federal law.

Link Posted: 7/21/2001 6:54:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
larryg,

from your post, you made it look like they were all my quotes.

fix it.

and no, i wasnt way out of line.

redray
View Quote
First, anyone who can read can see they were not all your posts, so I will not 'fix it'.  Second, you were way out of line and you are now.  You have an attitude and apparently love to give orders and be confrontational.  I am defending Vermont, so lose the attitude.
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 7:03:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
i guess youre just just an asshole of the same caliber as kbaker.  youre last sentence describing me actually fits you as well. "way out" of line ?? by calling kbaker an asshole?
what am i now that i called you one too? is what you say here doctrine? i was stating an opinion and have no need for you to police my statements you stupid fuck. how old are you and what do you do for a living?
View Quote
The question is, how old are you?  About 12, I would surmise from your posts.  The name calling and the attitude suggest it.  What are you now that you have called me an asshole?  I would say immature and childish.  This 'stupid fuck' will compare IQ's with you any day.
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 7:07:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
ok what is your iq you stupid fuck?
View Quote
I'm not going to state a number because you will just post lie about it and post one higher.  Enough of this crap.  I was taking up for Vermont and this is how you respond.
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 7:18:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Boys
Take a Xanax and go stand in a corner for 15 minutes.Then shake hands and hush.
You may finish this by email.
cp
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 7:30:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Seems to me that anyone reading Larry's reply to redray would have already had to have read every post above it.  So if it looks like you quoted all that stuff, then you have a short attention span.  Second you started the name calling when you said KBaker was an asshole.  I didn't realize that having a sense of humor or being sarcastic was an asshole trait.  Now we're way off topic. . .

WHY CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG!

Relax everyone its just my opinion,
Steven L.
[spank]
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 7:52:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 9:25:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Redray shows signs of being hostile and unstable, possibly violent, and with poor reading abilities that indicate a low I.Q.  People like him shouldn't be allowed to own a gun.  

(Sarcasm mode off.)

In point of fact, people who are THAT touchy bother the hell out of me.  And Redray, while the internet is a wonderful place to insult people with little to no risk to yourself, if you behave like this in public I bet you've gotten your ass kicked more than once.  I'm sorry if you have no sense of humor, but I'm not going to change mine to suit you.

You wrote "i dont understand".  Well, that was obvious.  THEN you wrote "think before you make a statement".  Good advice.  Perhaps you should take it.

Subject closed.  NEXT!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top