Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/25/2005 1:27:43 PM EDT
i had enough problems with the financial manager at passport nissan to begin with without getting the phone call i got today.

the financial manager named Hamid, dont remember the last name off hand, but he was just rude and inconsiderate throughout the entire process. looking back i wish i had just went to another dealer than giving him my business.

well i got a phonecall today that just pushed me over the edge. its been 10 days since i took my Titan home with me and i get a call today saying that they are having a hard time getting everything to go through and that they will need around $700 down payment or will have to rework my contract with a higher interest rate. i took the special interest rate of 3% that they gave me instead of the $2000 rebate.

i dont see how after 10 days they can say they need more money or rewrite the contract for a higher rate. can you guys give me some ideas of what to do about this shit...i just put the alarm in it yesterday and i'll be pissed if i have to return the truck and pay more to have the alarm taken out.

any ideas...?
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 1:30:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Fraud? I think the FBI investigates white-collar crime..
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 1:32:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like a scam (or cheezy high-pressure ploy) to me, if you have signed paperwork it should be a done deal.

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 1:33:22 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Sounds like a scam (or cheezy high-pressure ploy) to me, if you have signed paperwork it should be a done deal.

thats what i thought.  i have the contract where everything is written down and signed by both of us so is there a way he could rewrite the contract again or is it a done deal since i already have the contract?
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 1:33:37 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
i had enough problems with the financial manager at passport nissan to begin with without getting the phone call i got today.

the financial manager named Hamid, dont remember the last name off hand, but he was just rude and inconsiderate throughout the entire process. looking back i wish i had just went to another dealer than giving him my business.

well i got a phonecall today that just pushed me over the edge. its been 10 days since i took my Titan home with me and i get a call today saying that they are having a hard time getting everything to go through and that they will need around $700 down payment or will have to rework my contract with a higher interest rate. i took the special interest rate of 3% that they gave me instead of the $2000 rebate.

i dont see how after 10 days they can say they need more money or rewrite the contract for a higher rate. can you guys give me some ideas of what to do about this shit...i just put the alarm in it yesterday and i'll be pissed if i have to return the truck and pay more to have the alarm taken out.

any ideas...?

Contact the VA Attorney General's office immediately. Your dealer did not negotiate in good faith. Also report this to the Regional Manager of Nissan.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 1:35:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Give them the truck back.  When you do this they will shut up real quick.  They are trying to scam you.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 1:36:31 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

thats what i thought.  i have the contract where everything is written down and signed by both of us so is there a way he could rewrite the contract again or is it a done deal since i already have the contract?

IANAL but that just reeks of "high pressure sales horseshit" especially 10 FUCKING DAYS AFTER YOU TOOK POSSESSION OF THE VEHICLE.  Why the fuck would they let you take home the truck after signing a contract if they didn't have the financing approved?
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 1:37:21 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Give them the truck back.  When you do this they will shut up real quick.  They are trying to scam you.

i told him on the phone that i will gladly give the truck back cuz im not giving them any money and he started backpeddeling saying "im not asking for the car back, just that we need to work something out"  

i told him there is nothing to work out, i have a contract and if anything you can have the truck back cuz you're not getting any money so he said he would talk to his manager and call me back.

that was about an hour ago.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 1:37:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Did you take the truck home while your financing was still pending? Please tell me your financing was 100% settled before taking the vehicle home...

Did you actually get signed copies of the finance agreement indicating acceptence by both parties? You should have a sheet showing your rate, payment, last payment date, etc. It should be signed by both sides. They use your credit score to grant/deny loans, so there shouldn't have been any trouble.

Call Nissan Credit directly. They should be listed on the financing document, and you have your loan number from there too. Ask them how much is due on your financing. Tell them the dealer is demanding a $700 direct payment post-financing or threatening to cancel your loan.

If he is blowing smoke up your ass, contact the State AG's office and Nissan corporate. Then cc the complaints to the dealership's owner.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 1:37:54 PM EDT
[#9]
You have 30 days from when you took delivery of the vehicle to give it back, and walk away, they also have to give you your trade in back, or if they have sold it, give you the trade in value of the vehicle.

Take it back, get your money or car back and go elsewhere.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 1:40:11 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
You have 30 days from when you took delivery of the vehicle to give it back, and walk away, they also have to give you your trade in back, or if they have sold it, give you the trade in value of the vehicle.

Actually in most states its only 3 days.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 1:49:52 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually in most states its only 3 days.

Last time I bought a new one it was 30 days here.

I had bought a Ford way back in 92 and teh dealer asked me, you are not going to come back in 28 days and tell me you want this truck are you? No I said.

Unless things have changed I could have done that on 02 when I bought my dodge.

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 1:51:47 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Hold it right there.

That's generally a state law issue, and here in the consumer protection paradise that is Kalifornia, you don't even get 3 days.

Consult local legal interpretation (lawyer up) before settling in thinking you have 30 days.  That seems like an awful long time for buyer's remorse.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 1:54:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Your state's Attorney General should have a consumer protection office. If not, they may have a consumer lending office. Call them with any questions that you might have.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 1:56:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Oh, yeah. Tell him to fax a written copy of his request to your lawyer's office. That'll put an end to the discussion real quick.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 2:00:04 PM EDT
[#15]
I went there, offered them a fair price for a truck and they dicked me around.  Since I had parked down past the Mercedes dealer and I wasn't trading in a car, they couldn't box me in.  I felt like they would have tried.  I walked out, went to Brown Arlington Nissan the next day and bought the same vehicle for the amount I offered and drove it home.  

I went to the Nissan web site and lodged a complaint about them.  Unless they shift a huge volume of cars they won't be a Nissan dealer long with the number of complaints they surely generate.

G
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 2:04:17 PM EDT
[#16]
They're assholes.

I tried dealing with them when looking to buy the wife a new car.

I got all kinds of bad vibes from them, so walked out.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 2:37:21 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I went there, offered them a fair price for a truck and they dicked me around.  Since I had parked down past the Mercedes dealer and I wasn't trading in a car, they couldn't box me in.  I felt like they would have tried.  I walked out, went to Brown Arlington Nissan the next day and bought the same vehicle for the amount I offered and drove it home.  

I went to the Nissan web site and lodged a complaint about them.  Unless they shift a huge volume of cars they won't be a Nissan dealer long with the number of complaints they surely generate.

G

im looking to get in contact with the regional manager but i cant find any info on it.

i'll talk to them about it and put a complaint in with them about it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 2:42:35 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a strange feeling "Hamid" is originally from NIGERIA!
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 2:53:47 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I have a strange feeling "Hamid" is originally from NIGERIA!

i was thinking middle east somewhere.  although close, my salesman is from Ethiopia

I was reading over the contract and it basically says that if the financing is denied then i can cancel the sale at anytime and return the truck and i will get my car back, if the car is sold then i will get something the same value.

it seems that they cant just redo anything and i have the right to say fuck it and give me my car back and be done with it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:42:00 PM EDT
[#20]
well i went in to sign the "nissan" contract and it had the exact same numbers on it, i went over it for 10 minutes to make sure every single digit was the same.

i did have a trade in.  i also put the alarm in it which i'll have to pay to have taken out...that'll suck bigtime.  

i told the guy today that i was not paying one penny to them so if they wanted it back they are more than welcome to come get it, after i take back what i put in it, of course.

ETA:  i will be getting numbers tonight for the regional manager, the Virginia AG's office, and anything else i can get to see if i have a leg to stand on.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:54:01 PM EDT
[#21]
So let me get this straight:

You have a Japanese car, that is owned by the French, and is financed by the Nigerians?

What's this world coming to?  
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:02:04 PM EDT
[#22]
This is not an uncommon scam.  Your mistake was in taking their financing.  Always get outside financing and take the rebate, or make sure you have a loan approval from their finance department.  Shady car dealers like to do this sometimes - let you take the car home before "approval", then call you after a couple of days and say the bank couldn't approve you at the rate we said, you have to pay a much higher rate now.

Most people just say ok and pay it.  Call him on the scam and they'll probably back down.  File a complaint with Nissan anyway.  Next time, get your own financing.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:03:54 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
So let me get this straight:

You have a Japanese car, that is owned by the French, and is financed by the Nigerians?

What's this world coming to?  

Global trade
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:04:16 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
This is not an uncommon scam.  Your mistake was in taking their financing.  Always get outside financing and take the rebate, or make sure you have a loan approval from their finance department.  Shady car dealers like to do this sometimes - let you take the car home before "approval", then call you after a couple of days and say the bank couldn't approve you at the rate we said, you have to pay a much higher rate now.

Most people just say ok and pay it.  Call him on the scam and they'll probably back down.  File a complaint with Nissan anyway.  Next time, get your own financing.

i checked at my local credit union and with my bank and neither could match the 3% financing i got.  i did fine when i financed with honda financing so i figured it id do it again to get the low rate.  

i know better for next time.  next car i get im coming with around 10K down and my own financing so i can get exactly what i want.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:08:00 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

You should have gone back to Passport with your new car to show the the bill of sale

These days, I do not argue, haggle, negotiate, or wait for the "manager" to come deal with me.

I put an offer on the table and wait five minutes.  If it is not accepted by then, I walk.  I bring my own financing.  I do not trade cars (I sell them myself).

I give dealers zero fucking leverage.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:10:12 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I have seen it before. They consider you a "get me done" as we called it. Deal was 50/50 and figured to let you take it home and hope the finance went through. Its not uncommon. They hope you fell in love with it enough to do whatever it takes to keep the car if the finance goes sour.

Or they are flat out scrwine ya. First scenario is probably the case.

What was your credit score? Was it decent, over 600? 700? barely pushing over 500? (most get me dones were just over 500)

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:29:10 PM EDT
[#27]
my score is just under 700 so that cant be a problem.

im sure some scam is in order.

i flat out said, if you call me again it better be to let me know you want to come get the truck because you're not getting a penny from me.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:31:11 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

i flat out said, if you call me again it better be to let me know you want to come get the truck because you're not getting a penny from me.

Just under 700 and no BKs you should be fine. (you wouldnt have anything close to 7 with BK anyway) You did the right thing. Sounds like their finance mgr is a scumbag.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:38:43 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds like their finance mgr is a scumbag.

arent those two words the same thing
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:45:49 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds like their finance mgr is a scumbag.

arent those two words the same thing

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:54:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Afplayboy, I like your truck, but fuck Nissan!
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:56:09 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

thats what i was thinking but Nissan is a good company.

i was thinking more along the lines of fuck passport nissan of alexandria

i would not recommend them to anyone and will tell everyone i know so they dont even consider this dealership.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:57:42 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i would not recommend them to anyone and will tell everyone i know so they dont even consider this dealership.

Fuck them too, but I remember my god-mother having problems with her Altima, she had to do lemon law on their asses and had to get a new Altima, on their dime.  

Call the head of the dealership, call the Regional manager of Nissan, and call the VA AG.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:03:00 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fuck them too, but I remember my god-mother having problems with her Altima, she had to do lemon law on their asses and had to get a new Altima, on their dime.  

Call the head of the dealership, call the Regional manager of Nissan, and call the VA AG.  

i cant find a number for the regional manager of nissan but when i do i'll definetly give them a call.  i also found a number for Nissan consumer affairs so i'll call them tomorrow to see what i can do.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:45:15 PM EDT
[#35]
AF,

Call this number:

Please contact us if you have questions about Nissan, Nissan vehicles, or Nissan dealers. If you need immediate assistance, please call (800) NISSAN-1 or contact your nearest Nissan dealer.

Nissan Consumer Affairs
P.O. Box 191
Gardena, CA 90248
(800) NISSAN-1 (or 800-647-7261)
9:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. Eastern / Central Time
8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Pacific Time
Monday through Friday

G
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:52:32 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
AF,

Call this number:

Please contact us if you have questions about Nissan, Nissan vehicles, or Nissan dealers. If you need immediate assistance, please call (800) NISSAN-1 or contact your nearest Nissan dealer.

Nissan Consumer Affairs
P.O. Box 191
Gardena, CA 90248
(800) NISSAN-1 (or 800-647-7261)
9:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. Eastern / Central Time
8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Pacific Time
Monday through Friday

G

i appreciate your help.  i have that info up waiting for tomorrow so i can call them.  i was about 10 minutes late trying to call them today.

i called nissan finance and they said that they dont have my info yet, its to soon to talk to them.  they take about 2-3 weeks to get the paperwork and set up my account.  so basically they were no help.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:53:35 PM EDT
[#37]
the practice is called "spotting" FWIW

clarkhoward.com/topics/tv_car_spotting.html

Look before you leap when buying a car  
By Clark Howard, WSB-TV Consumer Adviser  

Leasing a car  

You buy a new car, you drive it home. Then days later, the dealer calls and wants it back. It's called car spotting, and it could cost you thousands.  

Two Atlanta women, Erin Whitney-Mosley and Vanessa Echols, were shopping for a new car. They both found what they were looking for in brand-new Kias. The women bought at different dealerships, but they encountered the same problem.  

"I was told everything would be okay, and that my papers would be in the mail for the car," says Erin. "I received a call 10 days later at my job. They needed to recontract the deal." Vanessa Echols can relate. "He said they couldn't get us financed, so, you know, bring the car back in," says Vanessa.  

What happened to Erin and Vanessa is called car spotting. You sign a contract for the car, take it home, and the dealer works on the financing. If the financing fails, you get a call to bring the car back. Vanessa wonders, "Why get a person's hopes up? That doesn't make any sense."  

When you bring the car back, the dealer can and will hold you to the contract you've signed. Vanessa was lucky -- she was able to walk away. In Erin's case, she lost her $1000 deposit. "They told me they would keep it all as liquidated damages," says Erin.  

The Governor's Office of Consumer Affairs says Erin signed her deposit away when she signed something called a bailment agreement. According to Barry Reid with the Governor's Office of Consumer Affairs, "In this case, as we looked at it, there was a clear bailment agreement in the buyer's contract, which clearly indicated that she was obligated for a certain amount a day, and some other charges, in the event that her credit didn't go through."  

To prevent this from happening to you, separate the process of buying a car into three parts:  

1. Get pre-qualified for financing at a bank, credit union or online lender. Only use the dealer if they will give you the lowest rate.  

2. Shop for the car.  

3. Sell your old car first. Or if you're going to trade it in, make sure you cut the deal on the new car first, before making the trade-in.  

If you keep these three steps separate, you'll greatly lessen your chances of being taken for a ride. And as always, be careful what you sign -- things like bailment agreements can cost you thousands.  

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 6:22:09 PM EDT
[#38]
i signed one part that said they can get the car back within 5 days and if they do i have to pay $15 a day and $0.15 a mile.

but its been 10 days so that is over with by now.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 6:41:30 PM EDT
[#39]
I'm somehow getting a feeling here that your credit is better than the people THAT LEASED A FUCKING KIA.

Sorry, just had to get that out.  

G
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 6:55:25 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I'm somehow getting a feeling here that your credit is better than the people THAT LEASED A FUCKING KIA.

G

i'll say that my credit is between 670-690

with my income now...it should be no problem
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 7:02:55 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

G

i'll say that my credit is between 670-690

with my income now...it should be no problem

I dunno what my credit is but your's sounds high.  I'd be surprised if I was in teh double digits.  I think I need a job.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:11:48 PM EDT
[#42]

I dont mean to sound like a jerk but I would never leave a dealership without knowing everything went through ok. I would know the monthly payment, interest rate etc...etc.  Otherwise, they can go suck a lemon.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 3:46:59 AM EDT
[#43]
this is why high schools should teach "how to read a fucking contract before you sign it" instead of Algebra II.

ETA: not flaming anyone in this thread; just frustrated with how useless high school is for the most part.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 4:14:24 AM EDT
[#44]
Here's your truck back... I think I got some bad gas though...something about a sugar additive.

Essayons
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 4:29:25 AM EDT
[#45]
Bizarre.  I have bought 6 new cars, the first 5 dealer financed, the last paid in cash. Never had a dealer call later and ask for more money.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 4:40:41 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
this is why high schools should teach "how to read a fucking contract before you sign it" instead of Algebra II.

ETA: not flaming anyone in this thread; just frustrated with how useless high school is for the most part.

I was homeschooled in that course.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 4:51:07 AM EDT
[#47]
I wonder if the vehicles that are returned under this spotting scam are then resold as new vehicles?

The reason I ask is last year I was looking at trucks when I found a "new" Chevy Colorado with 2200+ miles on it. The told me it was not pre-owned. I guess technically, if the financing didn't go through for a previous buyer then it wouldn't have been pre-owned. But it damn sure had been used.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 4:56:55 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
I dont mean to sound like a jerk but I would never leave a dealership without knowing everything went through ok. I would know the monthly payment, interest rate etc...etc.  Otherwise, they can go suck a lemon.

on the contract i have it has the monthly payment, interest rate, pay off amount, all of that spelled out line by line.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:26:48 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
I wonder if the vehicles that are returned under this spotting scam are then resold as new vehicles?

The reason I ask is last year I was looking at trucks when I found a "new" Chevy Colorado with 2200+ miles on it. The told me it was not pre-owned. I guess technically, if the financing didn't go through for a previous buyer then it wouldn't have been pre-owned. But it damn sure had been used.

From what I understand, the practice used to be that a DEALER could put up to like 5K on a car with Dealer tags and still call it new (basically use it for the managers or whoever have those rights) and since it had never been titled out of the dealers name, who could argue.

Essayons
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:36:12 AM EDT
[#50]
Whoa!  Thanks guyz.  I've used their Infiniti dealership before to service Miz LWilde's I-30, but I'll stick to other resources now.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top