Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/23/2005 12:05:20 PM EDT

www.newsnet5.com/irresistible/4882438/detail.html

Woman Files Complaint After Doctor Tells Her She's Obese
New Hampshire Doctor Outraged By Complaint

POSTED: 5:29 pm EDT August 22, 2005
UPDATED: 6:08 pm EDT August 22, 2005

ROCHESTER, N.H. -- The New Hampshire attorney general is investigating a Rochester doctor because a patient complained that he bluntly told her she needed to lose weight.

Dr. Terry Bennett said that he's outraged by what he calls a baseless complaint. A patient was apparently insulted when Bennett told her that she was obese and could only get healthier by losing weight.

"It's an epidemic in the United States, and it's croaking us," Bennett said.

Bennett said that it's a lecture he gives to many of his overweight patients.

"It's your weight, ... and there's dozens of programs," Bennett said. "You don't have to come in here. You can join Jenny Craig. You can go see Weight Watchers."

Bennett said he tells obese patients that their weight is bad for their health and their love lives. But the lecture drove one patient to write a letter to the Board of Medicine, which has passed on the complaint to the Attorney General's Office.

"Did I sleep with somebody? Did I give somebody drugs? Was I careless? No. End of story," Bennett said. "That should have been the end of it."

Now, other overweight patients are coming to Bennett's defense.

"What really makes me angry is he told the truth," patient Mindy Haney said. "How can you punish somebody for that?"

Haney said that Bennett has helped her lose more than 150 pounds, but, at first, she didn't want to listen.

"I have been in this lady's shoes. I've been angry and left his practice. I mean, in-my-car-taking-off angry," Haney said. "But once you think about it, you're angry at yourself, not Dr. Bennett. He's the messenger. He's telling you what you already know."

Haney is so upset at the complaint that she has started a petition demanding that the attorney general be fired. So far, she's gathered 100 signatures.

Bennett said that the Attorney General's Office tried to get him to settle the matter by agreeing to attend a medical education course, which he refused.

"I'm sorry," Bennett said. "If she's watching, I'm devoutly sorry to have offended you. I didn't mean to offend you. I meant to tell you the truth. And that's what I tried to do."

The Board of Medicine would not comment on the case, but Vice President Kevin Costin said, "Physicians have to be professional with patients and remember everyone is an individual. You should not be inflammatory or degrading to anyone."

Bennett said that he thinks his apology should be enough.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:10:07 PM EDT
[#1]
The truth hurts.

You are not allowed to hurt people.

Ergo, you are not allowed to tell the truth?

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:33:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Oh for the love of God.  

"Physicians have to be professional with patients and remember everyone is an individual. You should not be inflammatory or degrading to anyone."

Here's a thought if the doctor offends you....   DONT FUCKING GO TO HIM ANYMORE!

God I fucking get irritated to see a group of supposed adults release a statement that validates a "he hurt my feelings" snivel.  

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:39:58 PM EDT
[#3]
A fact is a fact.

If you are 300 lbs and doc tells you that you need to lose weight.  Well by gawd drop the bucket-o-chicken and bon-bons and lose some f*#&ing weight, Fatass!

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:41:39 PM EDT
[#4]
If he lies and she dies, he gets sued by the family for malpractice.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:43:07 PM EDT
[#5]
In Arlington, TX I saw a low-rider truck with a sticker on the back that said, "Too low for fat ho's"
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:49:07 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
If he lies and she dies, he gets sued by the family for malpractice.

No shit.

It's his RESPONSIBILITY as a doctor to tell her that she's overweight, and that it's bad for her health!!

I blame people like Oprah for this kind of shit - who keep telling people that it's "okay" to be fat.  People might CHOOSE to be fat (or some unfortunate few might have gland or other disorders that they cannot help) - but it is IRRESPONSIBLE to tell people that it is okay!!  It is harmful, and will seriously limit their lifespan, as well as quality of life.

If people understand the risks and costs, and still choose to be grossly overweight, then more power to them.  I don't have a problem with that - it's a free country.  Eat what you want.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:56:11 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
In Arlington, TX I saw a low-rider truck with a sticker on the back that said, "Too low for fat ho's"

if i were the one that received and opened the letter i would have laughed and thrown it away.  that is just silly for an adult to act like that...boo hoo, my feelings are hurt...
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:58:07 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The truth hurts.

Not as much as a massive heart attack, though.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:59:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Some doctors are obsessed with it though.  My OB's partner was obsessed with weight.  I'm sure he meant well and I agree - an in shape mother produces healthier babies with fewer risks but he went over board.

I had to see him occasionally and he always commented on my weight gain.  I exercised daily while prego and was in excellent health and condition.  I had big babies and gained about 30 pounds with my boys and about 20 pounds with my daughter.  I hated his lectures.  They were degrading and insultive.

What's my point?  crud, I've forgotten. Patty
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:00:08 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The truth hurts.

I'm offended by that.

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:00:09 PM EDT
[#11]
From my cold, dead hands...

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:02:29 PM EDT
[#12]
The proper term is not "over weight" but "under tall."

The doctor should have simply prescribed growth hormones.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:03:12 PM EDT
[#13]
If he had known he was going to be in trouble he should have gone ahead and called her "a beast"

If your going to tell the truth you might as well tell the whole truth
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:04:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Whose got the "does this make my ass look fat" pic?
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:05:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Fat people piss me off!
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:07:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Yes, let's sue a doctor for informing you of a health problem. Brilliant.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:08:49 PM EDT
[#17]
This world hates truth and worships feelings.

Tough thing to get used to.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:11:22 PM EDT
[#18]
"But it's my thyroid!!"
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:13:24 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

ROCHESTER, N.H. -- The New Hampshire attorney general is investigating a Rochester doctor because a patient complained that he bluntly told her she needed to lose weight.

But seriously THAT is the real problem right there.

The AG should have told her this was a baseless complaint and ended it right there. Telling her she could lose some weight would have been an added bonus.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:14:02 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Some doctors are obsessed with it though.  My OB's partner was obsessed with weight.  I'm sure he meant well and I agree - an in shape mother produces healthier babies with fewer risks but he went over board.

I had to see him occasionally and he always commented on my weight gain.  I exercised daily while prego and was in excellent health and condition.  I had big babies and gained about 30 pounds with my boys and about 20 pounds with my daughter.  I hated his lectures.  They were degrading and insultive.

Then look for a new OB?  I'd not tolerate a rude person and I'd certainly not pay them for the pleasure.  He can't be the ONLY one.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:14:55 PM EDT
[#21]
More of the Pussification of America.

You can't tell some one they are a fat sack of crap.  It sucks to hear, but it's the truth.  All that fat is BAD for you.  Being fit and in shape is good.  Several of the officers I work with are lard-buckets.  On a personal level, they are dedicated, honest, professional officers.  But their physical condition is not only a danger to themselves, but to their fellow officers.

Welcome to the Society of Victims.

Sheep

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:20:39 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

This is the kind of Dr. b.s. that I get tired of.  Cripes, a woman is SUPPOSED to gain weight during pregnancy, o.k. not 100 lbs or to the point of diabetes, but come on.  To me, a woman who takes care of herself and doesn't eat only junk food, etc. during pregnancy should gain weight.  To me, that means a healthy baby.  Although, I'm no expert.

YMMV
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:22:29 PM EDT
[#23]
What's this whale's name? We need an email addy!
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:24:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Ban Ho Ho's.

Do it for the Manatee's
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:24:49 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Then look for a new OB?  I'd not tolerate a rude person and I'd certainly not pay them for the pleasure.  He can't be the ONLY one.

He was my OB's partner and I loved my OB.  I'm done with kickin the kidlets out of the oven now so its a mute point.  I agree though - get preggo, gain weight, albeit sensibly.

Patty
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:26:03 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
From my cold, dead greasy hands...

Touched that up for ya.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:28:45 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Fat people piss me off!

I hear you, man.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:31:33 PM EDT
[#28]
This doctor should drag this woman into civil court and sue her ass for defamation of character.  This is almost as stupid as the old woman who sued McD's for pouring hot coffee in her lap.  Whatever happened to common sense?  
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:32:59 PM EDT
[#29]
A buddy of mine was a DO who did ER rotations in various rural Kansas communities. He'd have 300+ lb land manatees come in to the ER complaining of headaches and backaches. He'd tell them to stop eating shit, stop drinking, stop smoking, lose 50 pounds and come back if they still had headaches. He wasn't very popular with the locals.

Well, I mean, what case does this woman possibly have against this doctor. "Obesity" is a medical condition, and is diagnosed according to rational criteria. It's a condition that is determined by procedure and experience.

I suppose she could have gotten a second opinion, but then she would've found out that she's not only fat, but ugly, too!
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:34:20 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
More of the Pussification of America.

Welcome to the Society of Victims.

Sheep

I whole-heartedly agree with you. We're tailoring everything to avoid hurt feelings. Too bad life doesn't always work that way. We're gonna have kids ill-equipped for life if we keep up the pussification.  

When my mom's doctor told her she needed to lose weight, she agreed and was only frustrated that it meant she'd have to be more accountable for what she ate / if she exercised--not that someone cared about her health enough to tell her the truth. He just said, "losing weight would increase your quality of life and your arthritis." He didn't say it in a degrading way at all.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:34:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Hey even obese people have feelings......................or do they... hmm
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:41:20 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

You should have just told him to STFU about your weight.

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:41:20 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
This doctor should drag this woman into civil court and sue her ass for defamation of character.  This is almost as stupid as the old woman who sued McD's for pouring hot coffee in her lap.  Whatever happened to common sense?  

You are an idiot for citing that case. Look up the facts of the case. That was a clear case of willful negligence on the part of the McDonald's manager, who knowingly went against company policy to increase the temperature of the coffee beyond the company and manufacturer's recommendations. The elderly woman, who was a passenger in the car, suffered third-degree burns to her genitalia. She originally only sought actual damages in the amount of her direct medical costs, which were staggering, but not in the multi-million-dollar range. The enormous award was made by the jury in the case, but was later amended by the presiding judge to an amount much closer to her actual damages.

McFacts
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:44:25 PM EDT
[#34]
She's not fat, she's big-boned!
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:50:22 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm surprised the Medical board forwarded this on.

I'm wondering how fat this girl really is.  The Medical board could have seen the complaint as Sexual Harrassment if the girl isn't very big.

If she's a true whale, then this is BS.  But I'm surprised that the DA would look at it if it was.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:51:56 PM EDT
[#36]
He could of just told her she had Flesh eating disease and only had 10 years left to live.

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:55:54 PM EDT
[#37]
That lady has no one to blame, but herself.  Speaking as a fat person, people like her make me sick. Put the fucking chicken down, step away from the twinkies, and stop slamming the cola. You do that, you'll lose the weight.

What would she have done if she were walking down the street, and over heard someone say that she had a fat ass? Call the police?
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:11:50 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
The truth hurts.

This is so insightful. I mean that 100% sincerely. Just about sums up the entire article perfectly.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 10:18:30 PM EDT
[#39]
The Doc should have recognized he was gonna have problems when he saw that her "Rascal" electric scooter was the modified half-track version.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 10:35:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Hmmmm, My doc said my blood plasma looked like melted butter, grease coagulated on the surface when when it cooled, and she was able to make rock candy by hanging a piece of string in my urine sample.

I guess I should sue.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 10:39:28 PM EDT
[#41]
My doctor told me I had a really healthy colon.

I took great offense to this. Not that he commented, but that he said so with his finger up my ass.

I'm suing. Fucking doctors!!!
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 10:50:17 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Hmmmm, My doc said my blood plasma looked like melted butter, grease coagulated on the surface when when it cooled, and she was able to make rock candy by hanging a piece of string in my urine sample.

I guess I should sue.  

the sad part is I know people that statement is probably true for.

As a fat guy, I'm offended by the fat pig in this story.  She's making the rest of us fat people look bad.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:27:59 AM EDT
[#43]
Doc: "Your grossly over weight..."

Patient: "I want a second opinion..."

Doc: "Okay, you're ugly too..."

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:32:04 AM EDT
[#44]
[TylerDurden] You're too fucking fat, fatty!  And your tits are too big! [/TylerDurden]
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 3:34:41 AM EDT
[#45]
Hard to believe she's pissed for hearing the truth
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 3:44:47 AM EDT
[#46]
unbelievable. i hope orca dies of a massive lard blockage very soon...
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 3:48:24 AM EDT
[#47]
So what the hell can an Attorney General do the doctor? Put him in jail?

I agreee with the Doctor, that Attorney General should be fired!
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 3:49:15 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
From my cold, dead hands...

www.nortep-norpac.sk.ca/Logos/bronze/KFCbucket.jpg

As long as the chicken is still hot I'll back you up
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:40:58 AM EDT
[#49]

You are an idiot for citing that case.

Agreed.  That case had merit, unlike this one.  I'll never understand why people don't attempt to understand the facts of a case before making uneducated comments.

her "Rascal" electric scooter was the modified half-track version.

A coworker married a cute 19 year-old 4'10" 120# girl about three years ago.  She now looks like she weights 300#.  My wife used to work for the state and dealt with a lot of women 200+# overweight, and that was her educated guess.  His wife is gaining at a rate of about 1.2# per week!  At that rate, she will need the half-track version in a few years.

I saw her a couple of weeks ago in Lowe's.  She said she liked the scooters at Lowe's since they were bigger than the ones at Wal-Mart.  She said she no longer fits in the ones at Wal-Mart.  She complained that she didn't know how she was going to buy food now since she "couldn't" walk the aisles in a store.  I wanted to comment that that was a good thing, but I didn't.  I feel sorry for my coworker.  That is not the person he married.z
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:48:20 AM EDT
[#50]
Anyone have a pic or the fat ass?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top