Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2005 6:53:01 AM EDT
download the gimp    link

you will need to download both files
GTK+ 2 for Windows (version 2.6.8)
and The Gimp for Windows (version 2.2.8)

install the GTK first, and then install The Gimp

once they are installed open The Gimp, go to file and then open.  Open the picture you want to resize.  Once it opens the new window.  There is a image tab, click image the drop down window will be displayed.   Select scale image   I guess the easiest for everyone to see would be 800X600. So for width change to 800, height change to 600.  once you have it set to the desired size, click scale at the bottom righ hand corner.  Now click file, then save as.  Save the file as a new name.  Then upload the image and post.

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:54:38 AM EDT
[#1]
or one can just use paint

thanks for the link, though..
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:59:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Irfanview works for me....
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:59:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:01:40 AM EDT
[#4]
if you use photobucket as your image host, you can resize the pictures from there.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:44:25 AM EDT
[#5]
I agree that Irfanview is much easier for simple tasks such as resizing.  For photo editing, The Gimp is quite a powerful tool.  In between Irfanview and The Gimp, I recomment Paint.net as a fairly easy to use editor that goes beyond the tools of Irfanview.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:52:30 AM EDT
[#6]
I have never used it, but Mickeysoft has a resizer 'powertool'.

Link left cold...copy and paste

http://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/Install/2/WXP/EN-US/ImageResizerPowertoySetup.exe

I am gonna test it right now...

ByteTheBullet
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:59:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Wow, that actually works pretty good. You select the pic(s), right click and select the size you want...It keeps the aspect ratio too. Saves them in the same folder with a number added.

I will still use Photoshop for important stuff, but I may just start using this.

Oh, it is for Win XP.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 11:18:31 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I agree that Irfanview is much easier for simple tasks such as resizing.  For photo editing, The Gimp is quite a powerful tool.  In between Irfanview and The Gimp, I recomment Paint.net as a fairly easy to use editor that goes beyond the tools of Irfanview.

I use Photoshop for harder stuff.  Never used Gimp, might check it out, but I rarely use all the functionality of Photoshop so I may have all I need.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 11:31:49 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/Install/2/WXP/EN-US/ImageResizerPowertoySetup.exe

ByteTheBullet

Whoa, this works!
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:54:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Irfanview is my friend.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:08:34 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ByteTheBullet

Whoa, this works!

Yep,  I've been using it for a while, no complaints.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:10:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:52:38 PM EDT
[#13]
How about just Microsoft Paint?

1. Open the image in Paint
2. Go to "Image", then the second one down, "Stretch/Skew" (or you can just hit Ctrl+W)
3. Put the same number in the Horizontal blank as the Vertical blank (less than 100, to denote that you are resizing to x percent of the original).  Forget skewing it unless you want it skewed.
4. Repeat as necessary.

Simple and requires no downloading.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:59:06 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
How about just Microsoft Paint?

1. Open the image in Paint
2. Go to "Image", then the second one down, "Stretch/Skew" (or you can just hit Ctrl+W)
3. Put the same number in the Horizontal blank as the Vertical blank (less than 100, to denote that you are resizing to x percent of the original).  Forget skewing it unless you want it skewed.
4. Repeat as necessary.

Simple and requires no downloading.

^^^ Yes!  For images off my digie cam, which come it really big, 32% works great.

a 600x400 image is ideal for web page viewing... its big enough to see the picture, but still small enough its fast loading.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 8:19:03 PM EDT
[#15]
My digital camera came with ACDSee. Pretty easy with that program.

So easy I didn't know you could do it with MSPaint. Or Photobucket, who I use to host pics.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 8:21:40 PM EDT
[#16]
I just d/l'ed Gimp,and I am trying to resize a .gif to avatar size.I can get it to avatar size,but the animation doesn't work after I upload it.

<<<<<<Any ideas on how to do this ? The cat is firing an AK and it looks kinda cool.Great prog BTW.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top