Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/16/2001 6:30:35 PM EDT
Leaving for Las Vegas tomorrow. From there, I'm renting a car and heading out for a few days of camping at the Grand Canyon. Will probably head towards Flagstaff, maybe spend a night at Sunset Crater National Monument. What else would be cool to check out? I've never been to this part of the country, but I have a itch to do a little exploring. I have all my camp supplies, so I'm prepared to stay just about anywhere. Coming from Minnesota, will the altitude change give me much trouble? Any travel tips? Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 6:34:16 PM EDT
[#1]
BEWARE THE CHUPACABRA !!!!!!!
[frag]
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 6:41:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Butkus 51:
BEWARE THE CHUPACABRA !!!!!!!
[frag]
View Quote

I thought that was a Mexican thing [:D] Doesn't matter, I'll have my .45
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 7:16:31 PM EDT
[#3]
BTT
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 7:25:50 PM EDT
[#4]
if u can get down to Tucson check out the sonara desert museum.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 7:30:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Mach 1,
Flagstaff is ok.  Kinda like Boulder, but only half as irritating.  I would not call it a destination location though.  Just to the east of Flagstaff is a place call Two Arrows.  Right off the Interstate there is a national park surrounding that huge meteor crater that was in everyone's eighth grade science book.  Thing is huge.  Check it out.  Stay away from Winslow, but Williams is ok, a little hokey with the cowboy gun fights every afternoon on mainstreet, but they have a drive up liquor store that also has an FFL.  One stop shopping.  
The chupacabra does not need a work visa.    
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 8:21:59 PM EDT
[#6]
If your going to stop for food and fuel between Vegas and the canyon, I suggest a stop in Seligman or Williams, but do yourself a BIG favor and avoid Ash Fork.

Altitude shouldn't be a problem unless your planning on hiking the 'Frisco Peaks near Flagstaff.

Be prepared for hot days and cold nights.
Higher altitude means being closer to the sun, so you can get warmed up; even burnt pretty easily: A little sunscreen for the face couldn't hurt.

And please watch your speed coming across I-40.
I'm on tomorrow, and if all goes well, you won't be meeting me out there. [:)]

Have fun, but not too much fun. [;)]

[img]http://www.commspeed.net/jmurray/images/flashing_lightbar.gif[/img]

Jay
Arizona
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 8:44:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
And please watch your speed coming across I-40.
I'm on tomorrow, and if all goes well, you won't be meeting me out there. [:)]

Have fun, but not too much fun. [;)]

[img]http://www.commspeed.net/jmurray/images/flashing_lightbar.gif[/img]

Jay
Arizona
View Quote

I'm sure your a pretty nice guy, Jay , but I think your right, I'd rather not meet you while your working. [:D] Think I'll make up a AR15 bumper sticker and slap it on my rental. So, in the off chance we "meet", you can cut me a little slack. [;)] Thanks for the tips. This is gonna be fun!
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 9:42:53 PM EDT
[#8]
See if you can do the Grand Canyon north rim rather than the south rim, they are about the same distance from Vegas, maybe the North Rim is a little closer.  Fewer turistas and about 1000 feet higher altitude.

If you are in Flag, check out the Beaver Street Brewery for chow and brews.

Wupatki ruins are worth seeing.  Also there's a small but kinda interesting aircraft museum north of Williams between Canyon S. Rim and Williams.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 10:26:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Don't forget to take the 8 to the California border.  Then you can stand there and laugh at all of us.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 10:36:35 PM EDT
[#10]
I live 15 minutes from Sunset Crater, please stop by and see us at AZEXarms. When you're in Flag, give us a call and we'll give ya directions. 520 527 7756. D.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 11:06:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Don't forget to check out Sedona.  I know the surroundings are "New Age"-ey, but there seems to be something to the stories of energy vortices that can be found there... Even if you are indifferent to the idea, get a map and approach it with an open mind.  When I went there with my wife, I was working on a migraine and we stopped up there anyway.  After about 10 minutes' "stillness" (I don't know any other way to describe it) the headache - and most of my body aches - were GONE!  While the body aches have since returned (likely nothing short of death will cure those...) there is still something there that caused the novel feeling of painlessness without chemical intervention...

FFZ
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 3:01:34 AM EDT
[#12]
OPEN CARRY
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 6:55:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Side trip:
Watpuki (spelling) north of Sunset Crater
Monument Valley
Meteor Crater
Winslow-"I was standing on the corner...."
Flagstaff-Museum, Observatory

Link Posted: 7/17/2001 10:08:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top