BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/9/2005 5:15:56 AM EDT
Looks like Shaq will be in the 'hood

Shaq attack' in Star City

Basketball star Shaquille O'Neal is looking at real estate in Bedford County and is already involved with local law enforcement agencies.

By Reed Williams
981-3334
The Roanoke Times

Bedford County residents might be getting a 7-foot-1, 340-pound new neighbor.

Shaquille O'Neal and cousin Andre Spellman have looked into buying between 700 and 800 acres in small-town Bedford County. They hope to have farms, a man-made lake, horses and a house or two, the basketball powerhouse said Monday.

O'Neal is visiting Be
Advertisement
dford County for the first time this week for law enforcement training and to film public service announcements to educate parents and children about the dangers of online predators. He is a member of Operation Blue Ridge Thunder, the Bedford County Sheriff Office's Internet Crimes Against Children task force. And he is national spokesman for the Safe Surfin' Foundation.

He became a Bedford County sheriff's deputy Sunday. O'Neal was issued a standard .40-caliber Glock service weapon, and he scored "expert" on the shooting range, Sheriff Mike Brown said. O'Neal said he fired a handgun, a rifle, a shotgun and a machine gun - the same weapons other deputies shoot to get certified. The sheriff's office also lent O'Neal a marked sport utility vehicle, specially fitted for a giant. The back seat had to be taken out, and the driver's seat was moved 14 inches back and 3 inches lower.

Brown has said he used his entertainment and professional sports contacts to approach O'Neal. O'Neal has said he became interested in police work after touring the Federal Bureau of Investigation. He has done police work in Los Angeles and Miami.

Brown said Monday that the 33-year-old O'Neal works well with other deputies and is interested in law enforcement for the right reasons.

"This guy is very sincere. He doesn't need any more badges. He doesn't need any other honors," Brown said.

O'Neal autographed basketballs and posed for pictures during a reception Monday afternoon in the U.S. Marshals office in Roanoke, and later accepted a plaque recognizing him for his work with Operation Blue Ridge Thunder.

Wearing a badge and gun and a black, short-sleeve shirt emblazoned with the words "Blue Ridge Thunder," Shaq waved to fans at the reception and ducked slightly as he entered a room where lunch was to be served.

Sitting comfortably and talking quietly, O'Neal said he had long wanted to work against child predators. He said he and Brown plan to lobby on Capitol Hill for tougher laws against such criminals.

"It's very disturbing that these people do things like that," O'Neal said.

He also said he was impressed by Amanda Staubs, 19, who was abducted and sexually assaulted at age 14 in Winchester by a 37-year-old man posing online as a 14-year-old boy.

O'Neal, Staubs and her mother, Vicki, filmed public service announcements Sunday at Liberty University, where O'Neal met the Rev. Jerry Falwell.

Staubs said she agreed to meet the man in her neighborhood after he threatened to kill her parents if she didn't. Putting her parents' safety before her own, Staubs said, she told them she was going to baby sit. The man took her to a hotel and abused her for about five hours, she said.

On Monday, Staubs called O'Neal, who was visibly moved by her story, a "great person." "He was really emotional about it," she said. "It really touched his heart."

O'Neal said he just wanted to make Staubs smile.

"That's a brave little girl, and I'm sure there's a million stories like hers nationwide," he said.

"Basically, what we tell children is we don't mind them playing on the Internet. But don't give out personal information," O'Neal said. "Tell Mommy and Daddy to tell the cops."

Just remmebered he also went back to college and got his degree.  Too bad more pro-ball players won't following Shaq's model.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:20:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Dude, italics is a pain in the ass to read when it's that small.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:21:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Yea... too bad more of Shaq didnt rub off on Kobe
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:22:04 AM EDT
[#3]
No italic's.

Shaq attack' in Star City

Basketball star Shaquille O'Neal is looking at real estate in Bedford County and is already involved with local law enforcement agencies.

By Reed Williams
981-3334
The Roanoke Times

Bedford County residents might be getting a 7-foot-1, 340-pound new neighbor.

Shaquille O'Neal and cousin Andre Spellman have looked into buying between 700 and 800 acres in small-town Bedford County. They hope to have farms, a man-made lake, horses and a house or two, the basketball powerhouse said Monday.

O'Neal is visiting Be
Advertisement
dford County for the first time this week for law enforcement training and to film public service announcements to educate parents and children about the dangers of online predators. He is a member of Operation Blue Ridge Thunder, the Bedford County Sheriff Office's Internet Crimes Against Children task force. And he is national spokesman for the Safe Surfin' Foundation.

He became a Bedford County sheriff's deputy Sunday. O'Neal was issued a standard .40-caliber Glock service weapon, and he scored "expert" on the shooting range, Sheriff Mike Brown said. O'Neal said he fired a handgun, a rifle, a shotgun and a machine gun - the same weapons other deputies shoot to get certified. The sheriff's office also lent O'Neal a marked sport utility vehicle, specially fitted for a giant. The back seat had to be taken out, and the driver's seat was moved 14 inches back and 3 inches lower.

Brown has said he used his entertainment and professional sports contacts to approach O'Neal. O'Neal has said he became interested in police work after touring the Federal Bureau of Investigation. He has done police work in Los Angeles and Miami.

Brown said Monday that the 33-year-old O'Neal works well with other deputies and is interested in law enforcement for the right reasons.

"This guy is very sincere. He doesn't need any more badges. He doesn't need any other honors," Brown said.

O'Neal autographed basketballs and posed for pictures during a reception Monday afternoon in the U.S. Marshals office in Roanoke, and later accepted a plaque recognizing him for his work with Operation Blue Ridge Thunder.

Wearing a badge and gun and a black, short-sleeve shirt emblazoned with the words "Blue Ridge Thunder," Shaq waved to fans at the reception and ducked slightly as he entered a room where lunch was to be served.

Sitting comfortably and talking quietly, O'Neal said he had long wanted to work against child predators. He said he and Brown plan to lobby on Capitol Hill for tougher laws against such criminals.

"It's very disturbing that these people do things like that," O'Neal said.

He also said he was impressed by Amanda Staubs, 19, who was abducted and sexually assaulted at age 14 in Winchester by a 37-year-old man posing online as a 14-year-old boy.

O'Neal, Staubs and her mother, Vicki, filmed public service announcements Sunday at Liberty University, where O'Neal met the Rev. Jerry Falwell.

Staubs said she agreed to meet the man in her neighborhood after he threatened to kill her parents if she didn't. Putting her parents' safety before her own, Staubs said, she told them she was going to baby sit. The man took her to a hotel and abused her for about five hours, she said.

On Monday, Staubs called O'Neal, who was visibly moved by her story, a "great person." "He was really emotional about it," she said. "It really touched his heart."

O'Neal said he just wanted to make Staubs smile.

"That's a brave little girl, and I'm sure there's a million stories like hers nationwide," he said.

"Basically, what we tell children is we don't mind them playing on the Internet. But don't give out personal information," O'Neal said. "Tell Mommy and Daddy to tell the cops."

Just remmebered he also went back to college and got his degree. Too bad more pro-ball players won't following Shaq's model.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:25:29 AM EDT
[#4]
WTF can I have a badge and a Glock, skip the hiring process and the academy? You call that being a good guy? I don't think the means justified the ending.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:25:34 AM EDT
[#5]
I have met Shaq briefly in the Orlando Outdoor world.  He was buying ammo for an upcoming shoot with friends.  He was gracious and extremely knowledgeable about guns and ammo.  He had time for all the fans and made time for pictures with kids.  

Shaq is what a pro-athlete should be.  A good role model for kids and adults alike.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:27:24 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
WTF can I have a badge and a Glock, skip the hiring process and the academy? You call that being a good guy? I don't think the means justified the ending.

Man you can ruin a wet dream........on the news last night they said that he has completed all of the necessary training.

Ted Nugent is also a deputy FWIW
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:28:48 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

maybe it's different for sherriff's deputies.

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:29:03 AM EDT
[#8]
I must admit that its nice to see at least one NBA star who isn't a thug.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:31:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Darn, VT beat me to it. He went through the police academy in 2003 while he was still in LA. Google is your friend.

Someone once told me he has a collection of Desert Eagles. Anyone know if this is true or not?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:35:28 AM EDT
[#10]
He be a Muslim with a (kinda-sorta) badge...
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:37:19 AM EDT
[#11]
He sounds like a very, very rare sort of professional athlete.

The guy has major clout and the cause he supports is as good of a cause as law enforcement can ever fight. I think the guy deserves a lot of credit.

Few things turn my stomach like the stories of these fucking pigs who molest kids. If a guy like Shaq can help get Congress to listen more closely, and tougher laws are passed as a result, the guy will have a legacy worth serious admiration.

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:52:13 AM EDT
[#12]
I hope he's professional enough to handle that Glock foe-tee
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:09:41 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I don't think he is a ROPer.....he met with Falwell and was raised as a Batpist in rural Lousiana.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:10:55 AM EDT
[#14]
After 9-11, he thought that he should personally do something to help with Homeland Security. He went to the local academy in LA part-time, completed it and became a Reserve Officer with the Harbor Police.

Upon his move to Florida, he became certified in that state and became a Reserve Deputy. He has already announced his intention to enter Law Enforcement full-time when he retires from basketball. He has joked about running for Sheriff.

With a culture in which most pro athletes are thugs, he sets the standard for what these folks should be doing. He is one of the few athletes I have any respect for.

After 9-11, many people made noise about doing something to help out. He actually did something. Follow his example. Your local public safety folks need all kinds of volunteer help, and even helping out in a supporting role can make a difference. We have volunteers that do fingerprinting, crime prevention, clerical work, background checks, Homeland Security and even some limited Patrol work (and these are all of the non-sworn folks, I am not even talking about reserve officers). Help out and volunteer.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:12:16 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't think he is a ROPer.....he met with Falwell and was raised as a Batpist in rural Lousiana.

+1  Shaq is no ROP'er.  I never heard of an muslim named O'Neill.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:13:45 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah if he was a ROPer he would be named Shaquelle al Muhammid
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:23:25 AM EDT
[#17]

Does he like dogs?

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:31:03 AM EDT
[#18]
I met Shaq's stunt double at the Kansas City airport.  We both got bumped from the same plane.  Nice guy.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:31:55 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Just remmebered he also went back to college and got his degree.  Too bad more pro-ball players won't following Shaq's model.

IIRC the degree he received a few weeks ago was his second Bachelor's
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:34:55 AM EDT
[#20]
At 7'1" and 350# he'll make an easy target for any criminal wanting to shoot a "cop". Do they make body armor big enough for that monster?

I suppose it's a good thing what he's doing. Could be worse. he could be making a sequel to Kazaam.

Now he just need to take english amd speaking lessons.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:36:23 AM EDT
[#21]
his dad's retired army and shaq is intensely proud of his dad and the army. i saw him and his pop in some pbs special on the military and they interviewd both of them. really decent guy!

in rural areas, training for sheriff depts is a hit-and-miss proposition. some go to regional training facilities, others are kinda ojt and part of the good ole boy network. as said above shaq went to real training and is fully certified as an leo...how'd you like to have one of his size 99 jackboots on your neck!!!??? hahahahahahahaha
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:48:58 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I don't follow the NBA, but even I've heard him talk a dozen times or more about his name.  His first and middle names Shaquille Rashaun mean "Little Warrior" in Islam.z
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:50:53 AM EDT
[#23]
That's good news.  I'm glad to hear he's helping out.

There was a time when pro athletes setting good examples for kids was the norm rather than the exception.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:39:16 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
At 7'1" and 350# he'll make an easy target for any criminal wanting to shoot a "cop". Do they make body armor big enough for that monster?

I suppose it's a good thing what he's doing. Could be worse. he could be making a sequel to Kazaam.

Now he just needs to take english amd and speaking lessons.

No thanks needed
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:49:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Good story.  I've never heard of any of these stories about Shaq.  I stopped following the NBA years ago.   If someone of his fame is helping publicize the campaign to catch child predators, then that is a good thing.

He is an OK guy in my book.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:59:06 AM EDT
[#26]
My old girlfriend dated Mark Madsen in college. When he first got drafted and showed up at Lakers practice in his beater car, O'neal laughed at it and straight up bought him a new car. I think it was an Escalade.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:59:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Or a big black guy on a power trip.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:00:16 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Now he just needs to take english amd and speaking lessons.

No thanks needed

That wa spart of the joke...
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:02:43 AM EDT
[#29]
He gives away thousands of  dollars in toys every year to kids in LA.  He dresses as Santa and shops at the TOYSRUS.  He would walk around the store and tell the workers,  I will take 10 of those and 5 of that.  They would pile the stuff into a semi-trailer and take it to the kids.

No comparison to Kobe.  Shaq seems to be a classy guy.  He also like to ride motorcycles, the ones that fit him.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:14:29 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

So people interested in Law Enforcement and charity work are on power trips?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:20:50 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I must admit that its nice to see at least one NBA star who isn't a thug.

+1 i cant hardly stand to watch basketball anymore because of this fact.  theyre all "street balling" thug types.  makes me sick.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:48:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Don't get me started.  I'm still pissed at Jerry Buss for deep-sixing him and Phil Jackson, for that f%)$#ing egomaniac, horndog Kobe.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:49:51 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not all, but most.  People love having power over other people.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:50:14 AM EDT
[#34]
Why does Shaq need a gun?

If somebody shoots him, that's just going to make him mad.

The guy is friggin' huge.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:51:59 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Yea... too bad more of Shaq didnt rub off on Kobe

+1

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:52:40 AM EDT
[#36]
I apologize, pardon me for a mistake of names, I don't follow basketball enough to differentiate
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:53:36 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And drip his HIV everywhere. Sorry, but if I find out someone around me has HIV, I do everything I can to avoid any physical contact with them. Paranoid or not, safer than sorry.

That's Magic Johnson, I think.  Unless I missed something
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:54:22 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Yeah, let's always assume the worst, because NO black man could ever just be a good guy, right?  
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:54:31 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And drip his HIV everywhere. Sorry, but if I find out someone around me has HIV, I do everything I can to avoid any physical contact with them. Paranoid or not, safer than sorry.

YOu mean Magic Johnson?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:54:58 AM EDT
[#40]
tag
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:55:06 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Take off the tin foil hat long enough to see a good deed/person when they present themselves. I've seen nothing "power-tripping" mentioned ever about Shaq.....and neither have you.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:55:09 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What in the FUCK are you talking about?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:59:22 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Uhhh. I could think of other things worse he could be doing. But he isn't. I think your just jealous.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:03:47 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:03:50 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, let's always assume the worst, because NO black man could ever just be a good guy, right?  

Not about him being black.

I just love how all of these people run to the SD or PD to 'help out'.  

I see that gleam in their eye when they talk about 'helping people'.  They just want to beat the fuck out of someone and get away with it.  Just want that gun on their hip and look all official.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:06:40 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not about him being black.

I just love how all of these people run to the SD or PD to 'help out'.  

I see that gleam in their eye when they talk about 'helping people'.  They just want to beat the fuck out of someone and get away with it.  Just want that gun on their hip and look all official.

It's good to know you assume the worst about EVERYONE rather than just black people.  It makes me feel sooo much better.  
Look, you got NBA players getting arrested for drugs and assault, MLB players taking steroids, NFL guys beating up thier wives...and this one NBA player tries to do something to help out and you have to try to shit all over it.  Just give him the fucking benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise for Christ's sake.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:08:29 AM EDT
[#47]
Yeah, he's a shining light among the darkness that is the NBA.

He's a nice guy alright.  But BFD.

There are many reasons people want to entangle themselves with the police.  Power trips...
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:08:38 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:09:39 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
I have met Shaq briefly in the Orlando Outdoor world.  He was buying ammo for an upcoming shoot with friends.  He was gracious and extremely knowledgeable about guns and ammo.  He had time for all the fans and made time for pictures with kids.  

Shaq is what a pro-athlete should be.  A good role model for kids and adults alike.

Hey, more power to him.  Here's hoping he promotes the shooting sports.  I don't know what some of you people are talking about him learning to speak English.  He mumbles at times, but it's not like you people are implying.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:14:41 AM EDT
[#50]
He's gonna buy land and HORSES? I'd hate to be the nag he chose for a ride. I hope he's looking into a few Percherons or Clydesdales.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top