Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/1/2005 6:07:34 AM EDT
www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,164357,00.html

WASHINGTON — President Bush is bypassing Congress and on Monday appointing John Bolton (search) to be the next U.S. ambassador to the United Nations.

The president is to name Bolton, who will be standing by his side, during a 10 a.m. EDT announcement from the White House.

Watch FOX News Channel live for the president's announcement on Bolton.

"Now is the time to confirm John Bolton. He has the complete confidence of the president of the United States," White House spokesman Scott McClellan said Monday morning. "He is someone who will get things done. He is results-oriented."

Bolton is headed up to the United Nations with the blessing of the president, but without confirmation from the Senate after Democrats twice blocked a confirmation vote.

For four months, Senate Democrats questioned Bolton's temper and treatment of staff aides. They also said they need more documents relating to Bolton's term as undersecretary for arms control and international security. The anti-Bolton push ramped up again last week when it was revealed that Bolton answered a question inaccurately on a form submitted to the Senate in March.

During confirmation hearings, one Republican senator, George Voinovich of Ohio, expressed hesitation about confirming Bolton. Voinovich prevented a favorable recommendation to emerge for Bolton out of the Senate Judiciary Committee, which has a 10-8 advantage of Republicans over Democrats.

Upon hearing the news from the White House, a spokesman for Voinovich told FOX News Monday that the "senator will be very disappointed that the president would decide to recess appoint John Bolton."

A recess appointment is a procedure that allows a president to fill a vacant job when Congress is not in session. Lawmakers left for vacation last week. The move will allow Bolton to stay in the job without Senate confirmation until the end of the current Congress in January 2007.

It is the 106th recess appointment for Bush. Former President Clinton made 140 recess appointments during his two terms in office.

Democrats have not relented in their argument that Bolton is not the man for the job.

"He's damaged goods; this is a person who lacks credibility. This will be the first U.N. ambassador since 1948 we ever sent there under a recess appointment. That's not what you want to send up, a person who doesn't have the confidence of the Congress," Sen. Christopher Dodd, D-Conn., told "FOX News Sunday."

On Monday, Dodd, who helped lead the Democratic charge against Bolton, released a statement expressing his continued opposition.

"[Bolton] provided at best incomplete, if not false, information to the Senate during his confirmation process; he bridged the firewall between intelligence and policymaking; and he would be the first U.S. representative sent to the U.N. without Senate confirmation. ... He should not be given a recess appointment," he said.

But Republicans say the Democratic filibuster justifies use of a recess appointment.

"I think Mr. Bolton has been treated incredibly unfairly by the process here. And the president would have every right to give him a recess appointment," said Sen. Rick Santorum, R-Pa.

"We've finally got somebody who will go up there and challenge the establishment up there at the U.N., and bring about the kind of reform that is needed," Sen. Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., told "FOX News Sunday."

Bolton fills the vacancy created by the departure of former Sen. John Danforth.

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:12:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Is this good or bad for gun owners? Any idea on his stance?
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:12:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Good.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:15:19 AM EDT
[#3]
It sure took long enough.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:17:04 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

It is my understanding that this is good for us.  The U.N. has been pushing to enforce "Global" gun laws, and John Bolton is a friend to the 2nd.  That's a big part of the Dems opposing his appointment.  Bolton, could concievably put the U.N. in it's place when it comes to them trying to affect or intrude on our sovereignty.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:25:13 AM EDT
[#5]

So when is he going to start gutting
those extra floors on the UN building?
I have a SawsAll he can borrow.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:36:29 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Good.

No, it's Damn Good for gun owners. Bolton basically told the UN during their conference on small arms proliferation "From Our Cold Dead Hands!"
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:36:48 AM EDT
[#7]
All Your United Nations Are Belong to US
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:57:27 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Definitely good, but not nearly as relevant as getting SCOTUS squared away.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:59:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Excellent!  Are his balls starting to drop again?   This is why I voted for him.  I wanted him to start pushing back on the Dems.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:16:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Excellent!  This is REALLY important b/c Iran could be coming up for a seat on the Security Council w/i the next few months
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:17:16 AM EDT
[#11]

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:18:29 AM EDT
[#12]

Yo Democrats!

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 8:01:43 AM EDT
[#13]
-That Sucks !  
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 8:05:00 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Yah I think so, he basicly toild the UN to Fuck Off and Die durring the UN conferance on small arms or whatever it was called, the one where they were taolking about trying to basicly ban all private ownership of small arms.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 8:19:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Oh!  I thought you said "Michael" Bolton, and was gonna say, "Attaboy!!"  Talk about payback!

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 8:56:01 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm always reminded of the Bobs when I hear his name.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:52:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Finally, someone who won't be a Gali/Anon asskisser.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:00:16 PM EDT
[#18]
"John Bolton has placed his faith in a unilateral, go-it-alone foreign policy that has stretched our military thin, and I believe his inability to be an effective and constructive ambassador could produce dire consequences for American foreign policy." -- Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif.

"The abuse of power and the cloak of secrecy from the White House continues. ... It's a devious maneuver that evades the constitutional requirement of Senate consent and only further darkens the cloud over Mr. Bolton's credibility at the U.N." -- Sen. Edward M. Kennedy, D-Mass.

"He is exactly the wrong person to send to the United Nations at a time when we are trying to rebuild our credibility around the world. ... I now fear that we have lost an important opportunity to help re-establish the United States' global role as a moral and responsible leader." -- Sen. Jay Rockefeller, D-W.Va.

"It's sad that even while the president preaches democracy around the world, he bends the rules and circumvents the will of Congress in appointing our representative to the United Nations." -- Sen. Frank R. Lautenberg, D-N.J.

Yo Democrats!

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:03:44 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Oh!  I thought you said "Michael" Bolton, and was gonna say, "Attaboy!!"  Talk about payback!

all.snapsoid.com/580/~actor_david-herman.jpg

Appointing Michael Bolton to the UN might be just the sort of message we need to send.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:54:34 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
All Your United Nations Are Belong to US

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:23:04 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
-That Sucks !  

Care to expound?
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:30:28 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I'm always reminded of the Bobs when I hear his name.

me too!
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:59:40 AM EDT
[#23]
you know what i don't get? the dems are the ones who suggested the recess appointment in the first place. i live in the dc area and follow this shit so maybe i get to see news the rest of you in the real america don't see, but i saw an interview with the head democrap, harry reid, saying that he'd talked to the prez and said there's no way bolton is gonna get an up or down vote and the only way bush would get bolton in is through the recess vote. i don't get why the dems have got their panties in such a wadded up ball...well, actually i DO get it...it makes good copy to their lackeys in the media. but i don't understand why fox is doing the same thing. they should be plastering reid's statements all over their shows to show this wasn't some sneaky bush trick but was suggested by the dems in the first place and everyone in frigging wash, dc KNEW this was gonna happen months ago!!!

un-frigging-believable...
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:03:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Those sounds you hear are more liberal heads exploding!!!
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:08:55 AM EDT
[#25]

It is the 106th recess appointment for Bush. Former President Clinton made 140 recess appointments during his two terms in office.

Says it all. Where was all the whining on the Democratic side while those 140 recess appointments were going on during Clinton's term?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top