Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/29/2005 11:59:05 AM EDT
Ireland Online has issued the following report:

Rock legend Jimi Hendrix pretended he was gay to get out of the U.S. Army, a new biography reveals.

Hendrix was discharged from the 101st Airborne division in 1962, launching a musical career that would redefine the guitar, leave other rock heroes of the day speechless and culminate with his headlining performance of "The Star-Spangled Banner" at Woodstock in 1969.

Hendrix's subterfuge, contained in his military medical records, is revealed for the first time in Charles Cross's biography, "Room Full Of Mirrors".

Publicly, Hendrix always claimed he was discharged after breaking his ankle on a parachute jump, but his medical records do not mention such an injury.

In regular visits to the base psychiatrist at Fort Campbell, Kentucky, in spring 1962, Hendrix complained that he was in love with one of his squad mates, Cross writes.

Finally, Capt John Halbert recommended him for discharge, citing his "homosexual tendencies" — four years before Arlo Guthrie suggested that path for avoiding military service in the protest song, "Alice's Restaurant".

Hendrix's legendary appetite for women negates the notion that he might have been gay, Cross says. Nor, he contends, was his stunt politically motivated.

Contrary to his later image, Hendrix was an avowed anti-communist who exhibited little unease about the escalating U.S. role in Vietnam.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 12:08:04 PM EDT
[#1]
do you have a link for this
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 12:08:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Sorry, but...

Link Posted: 7/29/2005 12:09:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, considering we weren't yet at war in 62, it wasn't exactly cowardice...kinda sleazy though.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 12:09:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Jimi Hendrix was gay?
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 12:10:29 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Well, considering we weren't yet at war in 62, it wasn't exactly cowardice...kinda sleazy though.

+1
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 12:10:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 12:11:10 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Jimi Hendrix was gay?

Purple Haze -- "excuse me while I kiss this guy...."

Link Posted: 7/29/2005 12:11:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 12:11:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Well that sucks stinks.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 12:12:18 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Sorry, but...

www.spleenville.com/journal/archives/careometer.gif

Sums it up for me. I just started playing "Machine Gun".
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 12:12:43 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Jimi Hendrix was gay?

Dont you know...

Purple Haze running thru my brain
lately thing they dont seem the same
acting funny and I dont know why
excuse me while I kiss this guy

Link Posted: 7/29/2005 12:13:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Sorry to post something that nobody gives a shit about.

Thought it was interesting, myself.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 12:17:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Feh. Sounds like marketing hype from the publisher to me.

Sex sells.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 12:17:52 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I thought it was interesting.  Sad and disgusting that he would do that to get out of his obligation to his country, but considering the rest of the life which he led, not terribly suprising.  

But you seem to be taking a shot (in some peoples mids) at a favored star, so expect a little flak.  No big deal.

Link Posted: 7/29/2005 12:18:24 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Jimi Hendrix was gay?

I always thought it was "the sky".  Whatever, he kicked ass on guitar and died like a rocker.  I don't really care.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 12:23:34 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Jimi Hendrix was gay?

I always thought it was "the sky".  Whatever, he kicked ass on guitar and died like a rocker.  I don't really care.

An internet search shows that it is kiss the sky. Has found at songfacts.com. It also indicates this lyris is always mistakin. Reported to be mistakin, beacuse Jimi would sometimes sing it both ways.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 12:24:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't his discharge have been "other than honorable" if he had been given the boot because of sexual preference?
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 12:26:37 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Jimi Hendrix was gay?

I believed that was the line for years before I found out the real line.

My son did not believe the correct lines in "walk on the wild side" by Lou Reed, till I pulled out an old album and played it for him. All he has ever heard on the radio was the censored version, then I played Jet Airliner, Some Girls, Who are You? and a host of other songs that are now censored on the radio.

For what it is worth, I do not believe the gay story.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 12:28:22 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought it was interesting.  Sad and disgusting that he would do that to get out of his obligation to his country, but considering the rest of the life which he led, not terribly suprising.  

But you seem to be taking a shot (in some peoples mids) at a favored star, so expect a little flak.  No big deal.

I'm not taking a shot.

Just thought the claim was interesting, considering that the author's version differs from Jimi's.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 1:00:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Hendrix rules! WOOHOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think the story is BS.
He was always modest about his service and I've never heard of him speaking against the war-and I have seen tapes of his statements supporting the troops.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 1:12:59 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Jimi Hendrix was gay?

Some guy actually wrote a book entitled, "Excuse Me While I Kiss This Guy".  It covered all the unknown/mis-sung lyrics in modern music.  That book answered a lot of questions.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 1:18:06 PM EDT
[#22]
probably the most influential and revolutionary guitarist ever. Along with Randy Rhodes, Dimebag Darrell, Jimmy Page, SRV, and Eddie make up my top 5 list.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 1:18:28 PM EDT
[#23]
I have not, nor will I ever care about that guy.

Maybe some 60's members of this board think he's great....I think he's drug-induced.......

I give two craps less about him.....I find it funny that rock needs to enshrine people.

I really don't care.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 8:32:26 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not taking a shot.

Just thought the claim was interesting, considering that the author's version differs from Jimi's.

Interesting post... its always tough to criticize someone's heros.  Now, if instead you had made a silmilar post about Roger Waters, the ARFCOM "Wrath of Khan" would have fallen upon you....    
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 9:30:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Well first of all Cross Whites are mini-bennies(not a soldier) he might well have got a discharge for drug abuse!!!

And don't believe what you read anymore than what you think you saw!!!

He was what he was(a guitar playing God) and if it wasn't drowning in his own barf,he probably would have died from a herion OD!

But Damn he could do what he did better than any-one at his time!!!!

Even Stevie Ray payed tribute to him!!!

Bob
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 9:34:43 PM EDT
[#26]
I don't buy it.

Maybe I'm off base, but if he wanted out of the Army so bad, why did he volunteer for Airborne?
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 1:41:51 AM EDT
[#27]
IIRC, he was discharged from the 101st Airborne because he broke or fractured his ankle during a jump.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 1:47:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 2:13:08 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I don't buy it.

Maybe I'm off base, but if he wanted out of the Army so bad, why did he volunteer for Airborne?

Same here.......sounds like BS to me as well.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 2:58:37 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I don't buy it.

There have been some other recent news stories of Airborne troops deciding to go CO.  It is beyond my comprehension.

Don Juan-ism.

I think it's all bs. but think about it. Alot of the people that come out of the closet , are the ones that were always surrounded by women. They don't even want to acknowledge the truth. First they have to come out of the closets to themselves before they come out to the world.

Wodunlt' it be possible, if not very liekly, for someone to go hard core military simply because they are afriad of what people would think if they were entirely against it? And one day they reach their breaking point?

Or...maybe they really did want to be hard core. Soem people jsut aren't cut out for it. They may want to do it, btu just aren't capable. kinda like alot of the armchair commandos. They want to be hard core and everything. But there's a good number that jsut woudln't be able to handle it. Some admit it. Other try to act more hard core simply to hide the fact that they really can't handle it.

Link Posted: 7/30/2005 3:26:45 AM EDT
[#31]
Not that anybody cares but,

I was stationed at Ft. Campbell in the early 80's. Jimi was still very much talked about and liked by the institutional mindset at the time at Ft. Campbell. I was also a musician/guitarist at Campbell and played local clubs while stationed there. I jammed with a warrant officer pilot all the time who dearly loved Jimi's music. We considered it an honor to have walked the same area as the man. There was never an indication of any truth to this story and something this big would have gotten out and spread as rumor among the soldiers. It was less than 20 years before and something this big would have still been circulating around.

Fast forward 10 years.

I was living in Reno and playing in the music scene there. One of the weird things is that Jimi's cousin, Riki Hendrix was living there at the time and we became pretty good friends for several years. Riki was waiting for a record deal to come through and would play clubs with a tribute to his cousin. Riki played guitar pretty well, and did Jimi's music to a "T" when he performed it. Riki and I used to set up at the club I worked at during the day and jam. I never played like Jimi, but love his stuff. I come from the Steve Vai school of guitar playing and had been mistaken for a Vai music tape as I was playing live a few times (a real honor, if I say so myself). Riki and I jammed together many times and had lots of fun. We talked about his cousin a lot and though Riki was several years younger than Jimi, but they were fairly close.

Never once did anything like this ever come to light. Something this big would surely have been mentioned to family for sure. Never a hint, never a whisper about this.  I call BS on the author - unless he has proof in his hands.

Riki is a hell of a showman and I suggest that anyone who could catch a show of his do so. I'm sure he's still around Reno or the Bay Area playing.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 8:58:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Excuse me while I kiss this guy?

I also hear there's a bad moon on the rise bathroom on the right.

Link Posted: 7/30/2005 9:03:55 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
IIRC, he was discharged from the 101st Airborne because he broke or fractured his ankle during a jump.

That's the story I've always heard.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 9:11:18 AM EDT
[#34]
More homosexual propaganda.

John Wayne, Abe Lincoln now Jimmy Hendrix. Who is next? Abe Vigoda? Richard Nixon?? John Kennedy???

You notice they always wait until the person is dead and cant defend or speak for themselves to put these shameful allegations on someone, tarnishing their image forever with this perversion.

Someone should have their ass beat, but good.

Link Posted: 7/30/2005 9:40:26 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 9:42:21 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

I couldn't agree more.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 10:48:58 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Maybe some 60's members of this board think he's great....I think he's drug-induced.......

I give two craps less about him.....I find it funny that rock needs to enshrine people.

I really don't care.

I was there in the 60's, and I rate him at one and a half craps. Don't care either.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 10:56:47 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

I really don't care.

Same here.

Link Posted: 7/30/2005 10:59:54 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Excuse me while I kiss this guy?

I also hear there's a bad moon on the rise bathroom on the right.

No, it's bathroom on the Rhine.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 11:08:36 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 1:38:12 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

I think the author was trying to say that it didn't show up in his discharge paperwork.

Not sure why that automatically means he faked being gay, though.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:07:47 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think the author was trying to say that it didn't show up in his discharge paperwork.

Not sure why that automatically means he faked being gay, though.

The author was not TRYING to say anything- he WAS saying it.  Hendrix's military records say specificly he was discharged for homosexual tendencies.  He never injured his ankle.  

The author also goes on to say quite clearly that Hendrix was not gay.  It was all a con to get out of the Army, which he only went into to avoid jail time.  Why he then went Airborne- who the hell knows?  Maybe it will explain that in the rest of the book.  

Back in 1962 that was a big risk to your physical safety to say you were gay- which is why so few men used such a obvious way to avoid the draft and did things like go to Canada instead.

Today its one of the big reasons why we could never use the Selecitve Service Act as currently written.  Since saying you are gay is nothing today, the Army could never get anyone who wouldn't be willing to volunteer in the first place...
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:39:52 AM EDT
[#43]
Red House Rules!
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:01:02 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
More homosexual propaganda.

John Wayne, Abe Lincoln now Jimmy Hendrix. Who is next? Abe Vigoda? Richard Nixon?? John Kennedy???

You notice they always wait until the person is dead and cant defend or speak for themselves to put these shameful allegations on someone, tarnishing their image forever with this perversion.

Someone should have their ass beat, but good.

Yeah! Next they'll claim Rock Hudson, Liberace, Gore Vidal, Tallulah Bankhead, Melissa Etheridge, Gertrude Stein, Sandra Bernhard, Martina Navratilova, Christina Aguilera, Paul Lynde, Drew Barrymore, Marlon Brando, Nell Carter, Ferron, Roddy McDowall, K.d. lang, Alexis Arquette, Samantha Fox, Leisha Hailey, Harvey Fierstein, Portia de Rossi, Fannie Flagg, Dick Sargent, Ellen DeGeneres, Sara Gilbert, Lily Tomlin, Barbara Stanwyck, Tammy Lynn Michaels, Amanda Bearse, Ramon Novarro, Peter Paige, Tab Hunter, Cesar Romero, or the guy who played the dad on the original Brady Bunch.

Sheesh! Just `cause a woman dies and leaves the custody of her kids to her female ...uh... roomate... NO REASON to think  she was a LESBIAN!

That being said, I SERIOUSLY doubt that Hendrix was gay. (Though, I won't discount the POSSIBILITY he MAY have been on the "down low" ... that seems pretty pervalent in the African American Community.... but IF he was, I'm pretty sure he'd have been a "pitcher" So HE wouldn't have I.D.ed as "gay" ... and YES, "back then" it would NOT have been an "honorable" discharge.)

BUT, this is certainly ONE (of the many) [POTENTIAL] problems w/ the current "policy" which needs trashed. it IS the 21st Century, after all.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:06:44 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Sheesh! Just `cause a woman dies and leaves the custody of her kids to her female ...uh... roomate... NO REASON to think  she was a LESBIAN!

Why are lesbian such man haters?  WHy don't they ever want their children to have a father?

What's up with that?  Don't you know how bad that is for the child?  Or is it done on purpose to make the child more femine?

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:09:37 PM EDT
[#46]
He was actually pro Vietnam war at first. I think it was eiter his brother or best friend that said that in a documentary about Jimmy. Jimmy was against it near the end though, as were many people.

Anyway he was Airborne and that makes him a brother to me.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:48:39 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Yeah! Next they'll claim Barbara Stanwyck

You are right there. A claim. One she always denied and one that was never proven. Baseless claim.

BUT, this is certainly ONE (of the many) [POTENTIAL] problems w/ the current "policy" which needs trashed. it IS the 21st Century, after all.

And exactly which policy is that? The one that says we need to put our personal sex life in our public tag lines? Actually I think the policy that worked best was the one of yesteryear, we didnt seem to have special classes segregated by personal behaviors.

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:55:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Teh gheyz 0wN j00!!!11!!

...Only after you are dead and cannot defend yourself.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 8:26:37 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah! Next they'll claim Barbara Stanwyck

You are right there. A claim. One she always denied and one that was never proven. Baseless claim.

During her life, Stanwyck was the subject of rumor that she was a lesbian, and that her marriage to the actor Robert Taylor was a "lavender marriage", designed to conceal the fact that both were homosexual. After her death, it was revealed that she in fact had had affairs with women. Not "claims" revelations. YOU used the word claim, so so did I.

I named a LOT more queers than just Barbra... what's-a-matter ... can't find any OTHERS who you think are NOT queer? Not gonna defend the "sister" Nell?
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 8:30:53 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
I named a LOT more queers than just Barbra... what's-a-matter ... can't find any OTHERS who you think are NOT queer? Not gonna defend the "sister" Nell?

If that is our complete list of Hollywood homosexuals, it seems the number would maybe be 1%?  Not as many as some would care to lead us to believe, eh?

As for Nell, there is nothing to defend. She kept her personal business..............personal!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top