Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/27/2005 11:08:40 AM EDT
No, I'm not trying to build one.  I'm just curious how it differs from a regular round, in terms of construction, components, etc.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 11:09:35 AM EDT
[#1]
It burns stuff

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 11:09:39 AM EDT
[#2]
um, it burns.  
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 11:11:19 AM EDT
[#3]
sorry I clarified the first post... I'm curious what they use to make them burn?  is it a powder that's embedded in the tip of the bullet?
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 11:12:31 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
It burns stuff

Sgatr15

Can I cook with it? like, could they be used as a field expedient stove?
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 11:13:54 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It burns stuff

Sgatr15

"Jones! Shoot that cow; I want some steak!"

Link Posted: 7/27/2005 11:14:31 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It burns stuff

Sgatr15

Yeah, shoot a mag full at your MRE pouch, it will be nice and warm
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 11:14:59 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
sorry I clarified the first post... I'm curious what they use to make them burn?  is it a powder that's embedded in the tip of the bullet?

I think its like a tracer, it has hot burning material in a hollow heel portion of the bullet. Anyone else.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 11:15:11 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
No, I'm not trying to build one.  I'm just curious how it differs from a regular round, in terms of construction, components, etc.

Why not just buy one, shoot it and find out?

-Storm
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 11:15:19 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It burns stuff

Sgatr15

What am I?

The answer man?

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 11:17:06 AM EDT
[#10]
from dictionary.com

1. Causing or capable of causing fire.
        2. Of or containing chemicals that produce intensely hot fire when exploded: an incendiary bomb.
        3. Of or involving arson.
  2. Tending to inflame; inflammatory: an incendiary speech.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 11:22:26 AM EDT
[#11]
They're illegal, if I'm not mistaken.

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Storm

Link Posted: 7/27/2005 11:23:48 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Storm

I think in some states it is not illegal to fire incendiary and tracer rounds. In Calif it illegal.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 11:26:56 AM EDT
[#13]
They contain incendiary compositions inside the round that burst into flame upon impact.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 11:26:59 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Storm

I think in some states it is not illegal to fire incendiary and tracer rounds. In Calif it illegal.

O comn, what isn't in Cali?
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 11:27:20 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Storm

www.ammunitionstore.com/pricelist_50BMG.htm
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 11:37:09 AM EDT
[#16]
I think it's a round that turns  into a convection oven on impact.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 12:14:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Normally phosphorus, IIRC. The construction of the jacket and the composition of the filling determine whether it's tracer or not.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 12:19:09 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I have had a difficult time obtaining information on this topic.  The best source is Dr. Herbert Ellern's book Military and Civilian Pyrotechnics (ISBN: 0820603643) available from Barnes and Noble, and his references including U.S. patents on the subject:

It's a little pricey but I'm sure you could get it through inter-library loan.

The first incendiary bullets were developed for destroying hydrogen-filled zeppelins:

A relatively cool-burning incendiary is white phosphorus . . . Phosphorus by itself is a poor incendiary, effective only against easily ignited objects.  Thus the first air attacks in WWI by hydrogen-filled dirigibles (zeppelins) were soon abandoned because phosphorus-filled bullets spelled death to lighter-than-air craft.
p.218

The bullets were .50cal and filled through their base with white phosphorus.  The smokeless powder would ignite the phosphorus which burns with a yellow flame and produces white clouds of P2O5 thus leaving a nice smoke trail behind the bullet.  It was only good for igniting hydrogen, or gasoline-filled fuel tanks.  Subsequent .50cal incendiary bullets use a modified tracer compressed powder mixture consisting of magnesium powder (fuel), strontium/barium nitrate/potassium perchlorate (oxidizer), binder, etc.

Ellern wrote this about available info:

Very little can be found in the quoted manuals and other publications about incendiary projectiles.  Naval Airborne Ordnance speaks of 20-mm aircraft ammunition with incendiary or high explosive and incendiary filling for use against other aircraft.

There is some discussion of pyrophoric alloys:

Zirconium/lead alloys in a wide range of proportions spark or catch fire on impact and have been proposed for use as impact igniters for incendiary bullets, or as tracers tha mark the impact of a projectile by the light effect. . . . Alloys of either cerium or zirconium with soft metals such as lead or tin have been described as prodigious spark producers.
p.35  

Lighter flints contain misch metal, an alloy of several of the rare earth metals and about 30% iron to make it harder.  Cerium metal makes up about 50% of the misch metal alloy.  If you hold a lighter flint between tweezer, heat it red hot with a torch and throw it against a hard surface, it will disintegrate into a shower of bright sparks.  Don't try it but if you do wear eye protection.

Very hot sparks are also obtained by abrading uranium metal.

p.35

When planes shoot those depleted uranium rounds some of the metal surface is scraped off creating a shower of sparks.  The extremely dense uranium penetrates tanks very well and the incendiary effect is a by-product rather than a design feature.

You can try a patent search on the subject and look up the copious references in Ellern's book.  Good luck.  

ETA:  THEY DO NOT AND NEVER HAVE CONTAINED THERMITE! (Before someone says that they contain thermite.)
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 12:25:03 PM EDT
[#19]
ANS:  Incendiary rounds are lots-o-fun.

Especially when you are shooting at gasoline filled vehicles/containers.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top