Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/13/2001 6:24:58 PM EDT
I purchased the Hesse free float tube.  I have a MAJOR problem with it.  It's ruined!!  How, you ask?  I was putting it on, trying to line a hole up with the upper receiver.  Got it twisted all the way on and one hole was a little too loose to be a good fit.  I tried to go to the NEXT hole, and it wouldn't go that far.  I tried to give it a little 'umf' (I'm not a big strong guy either), using a barrel wrench, one of the holes actually [size=2]SPLIT OPEN[/size=2], and now it is impossible to thread the tube on!  [V]

What could I have done?  The hole beside it wasn't tight enough!  Once again, my AR is in pieces on my living room floor!  [xx(]
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 6:26:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Oh, by the way, . . . . I am ready for all the "I told you so"s that you all are about to give me.  

[smash]

Link Posted: 7/13/2001 6:40:22 PM EDT
[#2]
You can use a strap wrench to install free float tubes.
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 7:54:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Imbroglio, I don't see how that would have helped.  It wouldn't go to the next hole beside the one that wasn't tight enough.  What could I have done?  I couldn't leave it in the one that wasn't tight enough!  I could line up that hole with my bare hand, and the other one wasn't lining up with the receiver hole.  The best I could do was still about 2mm shy of the hole!  
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 8:00:23 PM EDT
[#4]
JB Weld.
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 8:45:11 PM EDT
[#5]
It won't even act like the tube is going to thread onto the barrel nut. The threads themselves are screwed up!!!  It must be made out of some pretty cheap aluminum!!

[V]
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 8:49:52 PM EDT
[#6]

Here's one possible solution:

[url]http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/handguards/hgd-02.asp[/url]
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 9:23:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the suggestion, WhoMe?. However, I think I'd go with DPMS vented float tube if I got another one.  Personally, I think I should get another barrel nut from those nuts, or at least reimbursed.  Don't see it happening though.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top