Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/13/2001 6:09:08 PM EDT
I am finally in the market for a new pistol. I have been looking for a .45 and have narrowed it down to CZ97,G30,HKusp full size, Sig P220. My budget is very limited and really don't want to go beyond (or really near) $700.

That being said I would still like a decent 1911 and noticed that Turners (in Kali) has a sale on the SA .45 Mil-Spec model for $479. Is this any good? Does it compare at all to the others on my list?

And for those that would ask:
I am in the PRK...so no CCW
Target shooting only but combat capable
I have medium sized hands so the p220 and 1911 do fit much better but if I am limited to 10rds I would prefer to have it!

Sorry about the long post, Thanks

Link Posted: 7/13/2001 6:25:52 PM EDT
[#1]
JBear I saw some Rock Island 1911 .45's in Shotgun News for under $300 might look into those.  Also a question for some Springfield people.  I looked at a SS Springfield .45 the other day and it had Brazil stamped on the frame, anyone know what that means?  Made there or what?
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 6:35:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
JBear I saw some Rock Island 1911 .45's in Shotgun News for under $300 might look into those.  Also a question for some Springfield people.  I looked at a SS Springfield .45 the other day and it had Brazil stamped on the frame, anyone know what that means?  Made there or what?
View Quote

I believe they are forged in Brazil and machined here. Kimber use to make a point of it in their ads comparing brand C & S to Kimber. Though I do believe brand "C" is just 'bout dead...

Allen
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 6:42:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Alright, It was a nice pistol, just wondering about the Brazil.
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 7:23:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Springfield makes a very nice 1911 for the money.
Their Loaded pistols have a few more sharp edges than Kimbers or Colts, and they aren't quite as accurate as the Kimbers I have shot, but they are very nice pistols for a good price.
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 8:48:09 PM EDT
[#5]
The sa is a good gun and as any 1911 you can always add to make it even better
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 8:50:58 PM EDT
[#6]
IIRC, most of the Springfield pistols are made in Brazil.  They only work on the high end .45s in the US factory.
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 8:56:19 PM EDT
[#7]
$475 is a bood price for a Mil Spec SA 45.
Yes they are machined in Brazil, but they are STILL damn fine weapons. I have a Mil Spec, a Stainless Steel 5", and a Kimber ProCarry, and I love them all.
Start with the Mil-spec, and go from there.
Link Posted: 7/15/2001 2:46:46 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a Mil spec Springfield.The older one before they went bankrupt.It has a minimum of 70,000 rounds through it.Other than springs and a disconnector it hasnt needed a thing.The only thing that comes from Brazil is the frame and slide.the pistols are assembeled here.At least thats the way it use to be.
Link Posted: 7/15/2001 3:04:13 AM EDT
[#9]
GET THE MIL-SPEC !!!!!

You won't ever see one cheaper here in CA and if you could only have 1 .45 that'd be it.

If you get another .45 look into the CZ, but for now think Springfield. Save up for the German guns should you want a different caliber or for something smaller (possible carry), thank me later.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top