Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/13/2001 1:11:40 AM EDT
Gentlemen,

We all know that an LEO has the available information, during a routine traffic stop, to identify a person with a CCW.

1.) Does the officer become aware of this when he calls in (or checks on his squad car PC) the operators License # or when the Stopped vehicles' License Plate is called in?

2.) And, of most interest to this board, is the information available to you, at any point, that a person, be it neighbor,co-worker, acquaintance, traffic violator, bad guy,etc., has a registered "Assault Weapon(s)". For example, can you check to see if your neighbors have registered "Assault Weapons" ???

PS This is not an aggressive question. Law enforcement is a job I, personally, could put my heart into.
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 1:26:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Gentlemen,

We all know that an LEO has the available information, during a routine traffic stop, to identify a person with a CCW.

1.) Does the officer become aware of this when he calls in (or checks on his vehicle PC) the operators License # or when the Stopped vehicles' License Plate is called in?

2.) And, of most interest to this board, is the information available to you, at any point, that a person, be it neighbor,co-worker, acquaintance, traffic violator, bad guy,etc., has a registered "Assault Weapon(s)". For example, can you check your to see if your neighbors have registered "Assault Weapons" ???

PS This is not an aggressive question. Law enforcement is a job I, personally, could put my heart into.
View Quote

SOME GREAT QUESTIONS! Surely because other states like N.J. & N.Y. have used 4473  information to raid homes of those who did not turn in, or register their weapons!

For this reason every good American should have at least one good unregistered defense weapon to cast of tyranny when the time comes!

IMHO!
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 1:49:56 AM EDT
[#2]
I hate to depress you even more, but....

New Jersey implemented a new computer integration plan about a year ago.
ALL pistol purchase permit information is now available on NJLETS.  All you need is a name and/or ss# or sbi#.  The information DOES NOT include any guns that you HAVE SOLD !  

So much for govt. accuracy, huh?

For those of you living in the FREE ZONE, NJ requires that you obtain a "pistol purchase permit" from your local PD (or state police barracks if you do not have a municipal pd) for each and every handgun that you wish to purchase.  They are valid for only 90 days and usually take several months to obtain.  (even though the law requires that they be issued within 30 days).

NOTE:  A "pistol purchase permit" is NOT A CCW!
There are only a handful of NJ residents that possess carry permits and these are mostly political patronage gifts.  As a practical matter, NO ONE can obtain a carry permit in that evil state.
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 3:17:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I hate to depress you even more, but....

New Jersey implemented a new computer integration plan about a year ago.
ALL pistol purchase permit information is now available on NJLETS.  All you need is a name and/or ss# or sbi#.  The information DOES NOT include any guns that you HAVE SOLD !  

So much for govt. accuracy, huh?

For those of you living in the FREE ZONE, NJ requires that you obtain a "pistol purchase permit" from your local PD (or state police barracks if you do not have a municipal pd) for each and every handgun that you wish to purchase.  They are valid for only 90 days and usually take several months to obtain.  (even though the law requires that they be issued within 30 days).

NOTE:  A "pistol purchase permit" is NOT A CCW!
There are only a handful of NJ residents that possess carry permits and these are mostly political patronage gifts.  As a practical matter, NO ONE can obtain a carry permit in that evil state.
View Quote

OH MAN, our brothers in NJ really live under oppression!
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 11:01:03 AM EDT
[#4]
btt
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 3:19:52 PM EDT
[#5]
btt2
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 3:31:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't have much time, the dungeon keeper is coming back...

You can't possibly imagine the torment of NJ licensing procedures.  What makes it worse is that there is no continuity from one local department to the next.  One department may be gun "friendly" or at least "neutral" while the next town over is completely "anti" gun.  I have a friend that has had to pay his $54 and be re-fingerprinted and go through the entire 4 month process (oh yeah, the wait time goes from 2 - 6 months depending on which town you live in) for each of his 6 handguns.

Any chance of an extraction team coming for me?  Please!
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 6:15:32 PM EDT
[#7]
No, in California that info is not available just by running a plate. When a full records check is run on an individual, that is when any CCW info generally pops up. As far as info on assault weapons, I have yet to come across any info after running a records check that shows that the citizen owns, or has registered any weapons defined by the state to be an "assault weapon". Maybe it does, but I don't expect that I'd run across too many people that registered their weapons, as that in and of itself tends to show that they are trying to be law abiding citizens.
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 7:58:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks MET1.

Is a full records check done, for example, off a driver license number during a speeding violation?

Not worried, just curious.

FT

Link Posted: 7/14/2001 4:01:20 PM EDT
[#9]
To honestly answer your question, I typically run records checks on just about everybody that I stop. There are exceptions but for the most part, if I have the opportunity to take a look at someones criminal history, I do. This assists me in what action I take during the course of the traffic stop.  I would stress that you or whoever reads this be as cordial as possible and as honest as you can be. Thats not to say that it will change anything, but it does go along way. A very good friend of mine was just arrested because he admitted to an officer that pulled him over, that he a Para-Ord .45  in his glove box. He did not have a CCW and the weapon was loaded. He is now on three years of probation and cannot have a firearm at his house during this time. The pistol was destroyed.  He was honest and he went to jail. Some officers go by the letter of the law, some of us by the spirit. Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 7/14/2001 4:58:16 PM EDT
[#10]
MET1- it saddens me to hear about your buddy being arrested.  I bet he was an upstanding citizen and the officer was like you said sticking to the letter of the law.

It really, really upsets me because we can assume he knew the guy checked out clean and still busts his ass. Meanwhile bald headed hispanic gangbangers are packing heat 24/7. Easy to pick out in any car. If you live here you know what I'm talking about...the hardcore ones who don't give a rats ass, bad attitude, tatoos.. who knows how many times they have pulled a trigger. A few years back I asked an old friend about a few thugs who lived in my old neighborhood, she tells me, "Those guys carry guns all the time, every one of those guys."  We clearly need a change in law here in California, thugs would absolutely dread the public being able to get CCW's.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top