Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 2:57:02 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Its about time some others came forward about the Defiant.  That lil sum bitch would just tear the shit out of the Klingons, and the Jem Hadar mother fuckers.

I loved watching that lil sucker beat down them other ships.

Huge power output for its size, smaller target, cloaking, ablative armor, quantum torpedoes, wicked maneuverability and a very small crew to risk in combat.  Yeah, it's impressive as hell and would be a total pain in the ass to defend against.  Probably one of the best "bang for the buck" designs ever to come from the Star Fleet drawing boards.
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 3:00:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Klingon Bird of Prey...I like their attitude
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 3:00:43 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
spazioinwind.libero.it/maxmark/images/yamato1.jpg

The Wave Motion Cannon and Wave Motion Drive were AWESOME (and TRIPPY!_

www.starblazers.com/images/gallery_images/10.jpg

That old girl could take some serious damage and still kick butt.

Another Star Blazers fan...

or the original Space Battleship Yamato.

Link Posted: 7/13/2005 11:05:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 11:08:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Star Wars!!!
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 11:18:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Quark!

Link Posted: 7/13/2005 11:20:22 AM EDT
[#7]

First Sci-fi movie I remember...

The Valley Forge and the Berkshire
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 11:23:25 AM EDT
[#8]
I think that the Star Destoyers are the coolest big ships in any movie, but I kind of like the look of the ship in Galaxy Quest.  It is much cooler than the Star Trek ships.
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 11:25:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Do I win?

Link Posted: 7/13/2005 11:31:57 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

my.execpc.com/~ppavlovi/vf_09.jpg

Those ships are rather phallic  
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 11:33:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Romi is hotter, but her big brother - Rath of Achileles is far more bad ass.

I can also apreaciate a cloaked bird of prey.

Magog homeworld would kick deathstar butt.  It took a nova bomb and shrugged it off.  It's point singularity cannon is a planet killer
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 12:09:26 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Magog homeworld would kick deathstar butt.  It took a nova bomb and shrugged it off.  It's point singularity cannon is a planet killer

He He He I'd like to see how it would handle a Genesis Torpedo.....

Reduce ship/asteroid/space station/planet/nebula to a sub atomic level and rebuild to YOUR design.

Then sit back and watch the new design rapidly age and self destruct.  Two Big Explosions for the price of one!  Kind like an encore performance.
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 12:21:47 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Star Destroyers look cool.

As for the the diagram/photo of USS Promethius posted.  I get pissed when I keep seeing Starship designs with 4 Warp nacelles (and that abomination that was the refitted Enterprise in "All Good Things").  The Tech Guide *clearly* states that there is no benefit to more than 2 Warp engines but as is typical with Berman and Co. and how they've fucked the franchise, pesky things like HISTORY, TIME LINES and TECH just don't count for much anymore in the ST Universe and many fans and writers have bought into the bullshit.

You have to remember just how far "out there" Gene's orginal spec was for Enterprise "no rockets, no nozzles, no flames" for the early 60's.

<end geek/nerd rant>

Don't forget the Dreadnought class in Star Trek.  Way back in the good ol days, there was a class of star ships that were designed similar to the enterprise, but with an extra warp nacelle.  The third nacelle wasn't so much for propulsion as for providing the massive amount of power that all the weapons systems needed.  Where the Enterprise was designed to be an exploration vessel first and battleship second, the Dreadnought was a battleship, period.
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 12:30:58 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Do I win?

i6.photobucket.com/albums/y242/martiniup/spaceship.jpg

Only if you share the good niborg!
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 12:34:12 PM EDT
[#15]

Reduce ship/asteroid/space station/planet/nebula to a sub atomic level and rebuild to YOUR design.

Then sit back and watch the new design rapidly age and self destruct.  Two Big Explosions for the price of one!  Kind like an encore performance.

Suspect the tarpedo would have no effect - never get past the shields to have raw material to work with.
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 12:41:56 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Do I win?

You just gotta let your hands work the controls as if you were straight.
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 12:46:34 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Suspect the tarpedo would have no effect - never get past the shields to have raw material to work with.

Sheilds?    Not a problem when you can use phased cloaking...

Even then I'd suspec the geneis wave would use the energy of the sheilds.  Would make for an interesting show.
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 12:55:48 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sheilds?    Not a problem when you can use phased cloaking...

Even then I'd suspec the geneis wave would use the energy of the sheilds.  Would make for an interesting show.

Depends on how the Genesis torpedo works, doesn't it.
You can shoot down a nuke without setting it off. If hitting the shields has a similar effect, you could destroy the torperdo before it can detonate.

I know in the X-Wing games, some of the Capitol ships were quite good at anti-missile defense.

Honestly, how capable are Federation photon torpedoes? For years they fought against Klingon ships with cloaking devices, and only out of desperate need does Spock figure out how to make a homing torpedo. And Genesis was intended for use against undefended targets. I don't think it'd stand a chance against the Death Star, particularly if it was screened by a fleet.
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 12:58:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Millenium Falcon

hands down.
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 12:59:03 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Millenium Falcon

hands down.

Nah, too slow.
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 12:59:21 PM EDT
[#21]
I liked the ships from Homeworld/Homeworld 2.
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 1:11:23 PM EDT
[#22]
This is absolutely fascinating, but I've got a life to get back to.  
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 1:20:27 PM EDT
[#23]
IMHO, the star wars stardestroyer is better armed, but I think in a fight with the federation, the feds would win through superior tactics and thinking. But personaly, I just would like to see the fireworks show of such an event.
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 1:22:39 PM EDT
[#24]
The enterprise was the most advanced due to the Transporter.
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 1:30:56 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
[Depends on how the Genesis torpedo works, doesn't it.

Not really use a phased cloak go through the sheild and into the ship, turn shield off - you're back in phase with reality and then detonate.

and only out of desperate need does Spock figure out how to make a homing torpedo.

HAHA You've caught onto the great flaw of the ST writers.

They are MORONS.  They don't think like engineers or military people.  In so many episodes the problems could easily be solved with creative use of their existing technology.  But then the writer's wouldn't have a clifhanger to keep you tuned to that channel during the commercial...

As bad as Lucas is as a writer, I think he does a better job than the ST writers.

And Genesis was intended for use against undefended targets. I don't think it'd stand a chance against the Death Star, particularly if it was screened by a fleet.

You're fleet means nothing with a phased cloak.  The missle will be impossible to detect and it can pass through any matter till it got to it's intended target.

Of course even w/o the cloaking the ship would just have to pop out of warp near it's target and launch.  (thanks to the superior Federation navigation computers).  
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 1:53:48 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

As for the the diagram/photo of USS Promethius posted.  I get pissed when I keep seeing Starship designs with 4 Warp nacelles (and that abomination that was the refitted Enterprise in "All Good Things").  The Tech Guide *clearly* states that there is no benefit to more than 2 Warp engines but as is typical with Berman and Co. and how they've fucked the franchise, pesky things like HISTORY, TIME LINES and TECH just don't count for much anymore in the ST Universe and many fans and writers have bought into the bullshit.

You have to remember just how far "out there" Gene's orginal spec was for Enterprise "no rockets, no nozzles, no flames" for the early 60's.

<end geek/nerd rant>

Don't forget the Dreadnought class in Star Trek.  Way back in the good ol days, there was a class of star ships that were designed similar to the enterprise, but with an extra warp nacelle.  The third nacelle wasn't so much for propulsion as for providing the massive amount of power that all the weapons systems needed.  Where the Enterprise was designed to be an exploration vessel first and battleship second, the Dreadnought was a battleship, period.

[uber nerd mode ON]

Warp Nacelles do not generate power.  They take the energy created by the Matter/Antimatter Reactor and use that energy via the Warp Coils in the nacelles generate a warp field, thus providing FTL travel while not violating Einstein.

I'm taking this from memory of  Michael Okuda's "Star Trek: The Next Generation Techincal Manual" (my copy is buried in a box in the garage).  This was the first tech guide actually written by people that had anything to do directly with with ANY ST series so I regard it as pretty much the Bilble when it comes to these things.

A current allegory would be a gas or steam turbine driving the eletric propuslion motors for a ship.  Adding more motors would only make the ship faster (up to a limit), not provide addional power for other system.  In reality given the same power output from the turbines, the rest of the ships systems would have LESS power available to them.

[/uber nerd mode OFF]

Not busting your chops .  One of the things that has soured me on the ST universe as of late is the wholesale rewriting of history and timelines and simply ignoring any tech "facts" that happen to get in the way of a story.  Fantasy is a relm where you can change things "just because", with little connection to the "real world".  Sci-Fi has (or should have) a grounding in "facts" whether those facts are part of the real world of the here and now, or the created universe that the story exists in.  To simply discard things for the sake of the story destroys its credibilty (IMHO).

/end vent

We now return you to your thread in progress.
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 1:54:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Forest,
Did the Genesis torpedo have phased cloak?

Or, are you taking one technology of Star Trek and applying it to another?
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 1:55:44 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

and only out of desperate need does Spock figure out how to make a homing torpedo.

HAHA You've caught onto the great flaw of the ST writers.

They are MORONS.  They don't think like engineers or military people.  In so many episodes the problems could easily be solved with creative use of their existing technology.  But then the writer's wouldn't have a clifhanger to keep you tuned to that channel during the commercial...

As bad as Lucas is as a writer, I think he does a better job than the ST writers.

That one has pissed me off since I first saw the film.
That, and Riker standing up to fly the Enterprise with a joystick.
Star Trek needs to stick to being Star Trek, and stop trying to be Star Wars.
But I don't think it's fair to compare the writers to Lucas. You are too cruel.
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 2:04:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Hey man, you sure you can land this thing?

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Do I win?

You just gotta let your hands work the controls as if you were straight.

Link Posted: 7/13/2005 2:54:42 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

<end geek/nerd rant>

[uber nerd mode ON]

Warp Nacelles do not generate power.  They take the energy created by the Matter/Antimatter Reactor and use that energy via the Warp Coils in the nacelles generate a warp field, thus providing FTL travel while not violating Einstein.

I'm taking this from memory of  Michael Okuda's "Star Trek: The Next Generation Techincal Manual" (my copy is buried in a box in the garage).  This was the first tech guide actually written by people that had anything to do directly with with ANY ST series so I regard it as pretty much the Bilble when it comes to these things.

A current allegory would be a gas or steam turbine driving the eletric propuslion motors for a ship.  Adding more motors would only make the ship faster (up to a limit), not provide addional power for other system.  In reality given the same power output from the turbines, the rest of the ships systems would have LESS power available to them.

[/uber nerd mode OFF]

Not busting your chops .  One of the things that has soured me on the ST universe as of late is the wholesale rewriting of history and timelines and simply ignoring any tech "facts" that happen to get in the way of a story.  Fantasy is a relm where you can change things "just because", with little connection to the "real world".  Sci-Fi has (or should have) a grounding in "facts" whether those facts are part of the real world of the here and now, or the created universe that the story exists in.  To simply discard things for the sake of the story destroys its credibilty (IMHO).

/end vent

We now return you to your thread in progress.

[Super-uber-geek mode on]

Sorry about my misunderstanding.  My views were seriously tainted by the Star Trek Starship Combat Simulator role playing game.  You're probably right.  I'll go see if I can track down my original copies of the Star Fleet Technical manual and find the answer there.

[super-uber-geek mode off]

I feel like such a freek now.
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 8:21:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Vorlon Planet Killer..  makes the Death Star look sissy..

Link Posted: 7/13/2005 8:36:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Battlestars, old ones!
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 8:39:53 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

www.babtech-onthe.net/vorlons/vpkfire.gif

The Shawdow one was cooler
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 8:44:08 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
The Beechcraft version

For the non-aviators out there that are wondering WTF?

img.photobucket.com/albums/v442/airwolf144/Starship_Lg_-_Flying_over_Golden_Ga.jpg

Too bad they are almost all out of service now.  

Werem't they all bought back (i.e. "recalled") by Raytheon, except for one (or possibly two) at Scaled Composites? I'm pretty sure that Rutan has the only flying example.

There's actually one based at the airport in Olympia.  We see it flying around once in a while.

Quoted:

my.execpc.com/~ppavlovi/vf_09.jpg

'Silent Running' was one of the first movies I bought on DVD.  Very cool film way ahead of it's time, as was 2001.
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 2:03:21 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

www.babtech-onthe.net/vorlons/vpkfire.gif

DAMN! Someone beat me me to it!

The Vorlon PlanetKiller kicks the ass of everything out there!

One of the coolest scenes in a movie or on tv was as the Vorlon Planet Killer moved into postion to destroy Centauri Prime it slowly blotted out the sun.

Another ship people forget is Vgyer from Star Trek: the Motion Picture

Link Posted: 7/14/2005 2:22:17 AM EDT
[#36]
Hah!  No one, but I mean no one, fucks with the Shadows and Vorlons.  Unless, of course, you have a fleet of White Stars and a guy who might as well be God on your side.

So what if it looks like a plucked chicken.
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 6:00:09 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Forest,

No, as it was not initially designed as weapon, but as a colonization tool (which happened to be the perfect weapon)

Yep, using those engineering skills so lacking with the writers of ST.  Remember at the time of TNG (when the phased cloak was invented) the Genesis was a 70 year old project - should be easy enough to call up in the libary computer and have those wonderful engineers, shops and replicators build more.
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 6:01:42 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Hah!  No one, but I mean no one, fucks with the Shadows and Vorlons.  Unless, of course, you have a fleet of White Stars and a guy who might as well be God on your side.

www.b5tech.net/art/b5/ws_arrive.jpg

I've always had a thing for the White Stars.  Cool looking ships IMHO.
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 6:06:57 AM EDT
[#39]
What, no Serenity?

And the alliance capital ships look pretty badass...wonder what kind of armament they carry...

Link Posted: 7/14/2005 6:19:31 AM EDT
[#40]
star wars or whatever your talking about is teh gay.
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 10:24:26 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
What, no Serenity?

And the alliance capital ships look pretty badass...wonder what kind of armament they carry...

Page 3, Skibane.
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 10:27:39 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What, no Serenity?

Page 3, Skibane.

Serenity is awesome, but given it's lack of weapon systems I'd have to pass on that one. I don't know about you but part of my criteria for coolest starship is the ability to deal out some whup'ass. Serenity is only good at out maneuvering and running away.
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 10:29:07 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
What, no Serenity?

Page 3, Skibane.

Serenity is awesome, but given it's lack of weapon systems I'd have to pass on that one. I don't know about you but part of my criteria for coolest starship is the ability to deal out some whup'ass. Serenity is only good at out maneuvering and running away.

Jayne acting as doorgunner with Vera doesn't count as a weapon system?
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 10:44:47 AM EDT
[#44]
Their can only be one,  the original "starship"
More trim conquered on this biotch then all others put together

Link Posted: 7/14/2005 11:09:04 AM EDT
[#45]
Dahak.
I know someone already posted the book, but he deserves to have a name.
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 11:23:13 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Forest,

No, as it was not initially designed as weapon, but as a colonization tool (which happened to be the perfect weapon)

Yep, using those engineering skills so lacking with the writers of ST.  Remember at the time of TNG (when the phased cloak was invented) the Genesis was a 70 year old project - should be easy enough to call up in the libary computer and have those wonderful engineers, shops and replicators build more.

So it stands to reason, I could invent something in the SW universe to defeat it...

Or more likely, the Federation seems to be real down on disruptors. Aren't they illegal? Don't you think the same society that thought a handheld weapon was too eveil even for military use would frown on using Genesis as a weapon?
But for that matter, they could just phase shift a photon torpedo into the reactor and have done with it.
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 11:37:36 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
The Promethius from SG1.

Ben

The what? Never heard of it.
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 11:42:05 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
The Relentless from IMPS.
SDF-1 is a close second.

IMPS?

SDF-1?

Spell it out dammit for those of us who dont know them...
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 11:46:32 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
So it stands to reason, I could invent something in the SW universe to defeat it...

Not from what I've seen in the movies, or few books I've read.

Or more likely, the Federation seems to be real down on disruptors. Aren't they illegal?

Not illegal they just seem to prefer Phaser technology (Klingon's like disruptors).  I couldn't tell you what the difference is as they both can stun, kill, or vaporize a target.  I do recall one type of weapon (I don't know if it was a distruptor) that was illegal because it was considered a slow painful death (something like 4 seconds to disintergrate you).

Don't you think the same society that thought a handheld weapon was too eveil even for military use would frown on using Genesis as a weapon?

Nah a Kirk type would always be there to disregard the Hippy/PC B.S to 'Git-R-Done' (lol).

But for that matter, they could just phase shift a photon torpedo into the reactor and have done with it.

See now you're thinking.  ST has some seriously powerful technologies - the writers went for 'kewl' but didn't seem to comprehend how 'god-like' the capabilites were.

Great example of the writers lack of foresight.

There was a Voyager episode where they were trying to get the Delta Flyer (hot-rod shuttle) to Warp 10.  In the New series Warp 10 would allow them to travel anywhere instantly.  In the end it was found going that speed would damage your DNA or some such BS.  So it was declared a failure and the project dropped.

Here is where they F&*cked up:  At Warp 9.9999997 they could effectively cross the galaxy in seconds.  That was a speed they could attain (and had to get to Warp 10).  So what if it takes you seconds/minutes/hours to cross the galaxy instead of doing it instantly.  An hour's drive sure beats 40 years at normal speed.

Freaking Star Fleet engineers can build a subspace radio out of 2 rocks and a coconut, but they can do simple math and realize 'close enough' is 'good enough'?
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 11:56:41 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not from what I've seen in the movies, or few books I've read.

Because I haven't written any books...
yet.

Or more likely, the Federation seems to be real down on disruptors. Aren't they illegal?

Not illegal they just seem to prefer Phaser technology (Klingon's like disruptors).  I couldn't tell you what the difference is as they both can stun, kill, or vaporize a target.  I do recall one type of weapon (I don't know if it was a distruptor) that was illegal because it was considered a slow painful death (something like 4 seconds to disintergrate you).

Yeah, I wasn't sure if it was disruptors. I just remembered there was a handheld that was forbidden.
I'm a little weak on ST. There's a lot more film to keep track of that SW.

See now you're thinking.  ST has some seriously powerful technologies - the writers went for 'kewl' but didn't seem to comprehend how 'god-like' the capabilites were.

I've been thinking all along. I wasn't familiar with that particular type of cloaking device in ST. You cought me off guard. Good think Star Fleet would never have managed it.

Great example of the writers lack of foresight.

There was a Voyager episode where they were trying to get the Delta Flyer (hot-rod shuttle) to Warp 10.  In the New series Warp 10 would allow them to travel anywhere instantly.  In the end it was found going that speed would damage your DNA or some such BS.  So it was declared a failure and the project dropped.

Here is where they F&*cked up:  At Warp 9.9999997 they could effectively cross the galaxy in seconds.  That was a speed they could attain (and had to get to Warp 10).  So what if it takes you seconds/minutes/hours to cross the galaxy instead of doing it instantly.  An hour's drive sure beats 40 years at normal speed.

Freaking Star Fleet engineers can build a subspace radio out of 2 rocks and a coconut, but they can do simple math and realize 'close enough' is 'good enough'?

I don't know. Have they ever really defined warp speed relative to light speed?
Didnt someone post a graph showing the "light barrier" in one of the other threads?
Would almost be good enough?

FWIW Warp 10 was the basis for my idea about doing an ST, SW crossover.
The Klingon science officer turned out to be strong in the Force.
Mmmm, Klingon's plus lightsabers.
Too bad the Galaxy Class Starship ended up getting clobbered by an ImpStar.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top