Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/11/2001 9:35:03 AM EDT
Well, i just got DSL installed today and did a little speed test. it ran anywhere from 60kbps to 137.6 kbps. This is definately not what i was expecting! When downloading a video, the transfer rate is only about 2.5 to 6 times faster! Is this normal, or should I see how the computer likes the impact of a Winchester Partition Gold Supreme shotgun slug?!
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 9:58:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 10:02:46 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't have DSL, but from this post the other day that does not seem right.
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=36338#lastPost[/url]

Speed test:
[url]http://computingcentral.msn.com/internet/speedtest.asp[/url]
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 10:06:02 AM EDT
[#3]
[url]www.dslreports.com[/url] for the speed test

also, there are several tweaks you can do to make sure your puter is set up right to run at its max.
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 10:09:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 10:55:28 AM EDT
[#5]
there could be router problems, lot of traffic, etc.  What is your advertised speed?  Try testing at different times of the day, different days.  Where was the server you were testing from?  Could be clear across the country crossing maybe 20 different hops.  Last night there were router problems up in northen Calif. causing massive packet loss for me,  chit happens.  There have been days when I tested my speed and it seemed slow but when I hooked to a game server my pings were in the 40s.
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 1:20:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Download a speed patch from speedguide.net

Who is your vendor?  I can log into any vendor database (Covad, Genuity, SBC, etc.)  and I can tell you from the port info how fast they have you set for...lemme know.

[email protected]
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 1:49:35 PM EDT
[#7]
DSL in my area guarantees a minimum of at least 384k. I have cable BTW.
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 2:27:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 2:50:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Have you guys tried a cable modem.   Thats what I have ehre.   DSL claims that they are faster but I beg to differ.  Download speeds are incredible fast.  It also depends on the sight your trying to download from, your computer can only bring it in as fast as its being sent out
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 3:13:58 PM EDT
[#10]
DSL claims that they are faster but I beg to differ.
View Quote

cable is plenty fast until you get a bunch of people sucking on that bandwidth at the same time then watch your packet loss pop up.
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 3:26:50 PM EDT
[#11]
[b]WOW[/b] 25.7kbps!!  I'm doing GREAT tonight.[:(!]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top