Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/29/2005 3:25:21 AM EDT

LINK

Internet crashes in Pakistan

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan (Reuters) -- An undersea cable carrying data between Pakistan and the outside world has developed a serious fault, virtually crippling data feeds, including the Internet, telecommunications officials said. The system crashed late on Monday and was still down on Tuesday evening. Many offices across the country ground to a halt as people realized it was not one of Pakistan's regular, but usually brief, technical hitches.

"It's a worst-case scenario. We are literally blank," said a senior foreign banker who declined to be identified.

An official at the Karachi stock exchange said Pakistan's main bourse was unaffected as it had its own internal trading system. Officials at Pakistan Telecommunication Ltd, which operates the link, said the fault was in an undersea cable and had been caused by a power supply problem.
Fixing it would entail an interruption for other countries using the link, including India, Dubai and Oman, one company official said.

"To reconfigure the power supply system and set the fault right there needs to be an interruption of up to two hours," said PTCL official Mashkoor Hussain.

But the impact on neighboring countries would be limited and the repairs would begin at 4 a.m. on Wednesday (2300 GMT on Tuesday) to minimize any disruption, he said.

"They have more than one cable. Their systems will continue working."

Telecommunications officials in those countries had been consulted and had given the go-ahead for the repairs, he said. "Hopefully it will be repaired by tomorrow morning."

Airlines and credit card companies were among the businesses hit by the crash.
"It's a total disaster," said Nasir Ali, commercial director of the private Air Blue airline. "We have a Web-based booking system which has totally collapsed." PTCL provided satellite back-up for the link, which meant some people were able to get access to a very slow Internet connection, Hussain said, but users complained it was too slow to be of any use.

Link Posted: 6/29/2005 3:27:19 AM EDT
[#1]

Looks like today is a bad day to call
tech support.

Link Posted: 6/29/2005 3:40:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Whoops... guess it was a bad idea to outsource...
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 3:40:43 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Looks like today is a bad day to call
tech support.

Link Posted: 6/29/2005 7:14:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like one of our undersea internet sniffers malfunctioned.
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 7:22:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Time for them to join us in the 21st century and get some Satelite backups....
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 7:24:50 AM EDT
[#6]
I guess I cant call ALL of my CC customer service numbers now...
They all seem to be outsourced these days...
Drives me nuts...
I talk to people all over the world daily and nothing is more difficult to understand than the calls I make/get from India/Pakistan.
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 7:25:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Serves these companies right for partnering up with third world shitholes!  
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 7:25:36 AM EDT
[#8]
I thought it was an unusually light pop-up day.
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 7:37:44 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Sounds like one of our undersea internet sniffers malfunctioned.

<<NSA Manager>> "No you idiot! You were supposed to TAP the cable, not CUT it."
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 7:41:29 AM EDT
[#10]
is Habib Marwan up to his old tricks?
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 7:44:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 8:28:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Shit I am awaiting some test results and India is the manager of this for a US company.  It should have been posted by now.
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 8:37:51 AM EDT
[#13]

It's Bush's fault.

Link Posted: 6/29/2005 8:38:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 8:40:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Guess my spam filters will get a short break today.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top