Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/22/2005 2:48:46 PM EDT
I have a good friend whom has recently developed a slight general anxiety problem.  It's been going on for a bit, mainly due to stresses in his life.  He's been told several times that he should see a professional because it's a very easy problem to correct, however  my only concern is if he is diagnosed with any type of anxiety problem, will it disqualify him from purchasing a firearm?  He and Itravel to the range quite a bit as he's just as avid a shooter as I.   I myself just turned 18 and have yet to look at/fill out one of the forms, but I'm aware that there may be questions regarding mental health.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/22/2005 2:50:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Not to be a dick but if he has a disqualifying event or situation maybe he shouldn't be able to buy guns.

What does an anxiety disorder involve?
Link Posted: 6/22/2005 2:52:17 PM EDT
[#2]
He can always shoot someone else's... He needs help with anxiety first.  Shooting is a small fraction of life, living life is a lot more important than having your own guns.
Link Posted: 6/22/2005 2:55:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I believe Title 18, Section 922 (d) of the US Code disqualifies you if you are adjudicated a mentally defective or been committed to a mental institution.  That's been interpreted to mean committed by a judge, not locked up for three days because your wife wanted you out of the way for a weekend or you mouthed off to a cop and he sent you to the loony bin a la California "5150".
Link Posted: 6/22/2005 2:56:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/22/2005 2:57:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/22/2005 2:58:05 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I believe Title 18, Section 922 (d) of the US Code disqualifies you if you are adjudicated a mentally defective or been committed to a mental institution.  That's been interpreted to mean committed by a judge, not locked up for three days because your wife wanted you out of the way for a weekend or you mouthed off to a cop.

Believe there's also a time limitation on it once you've been found nolonger batty, but I can't seem to find it.

My little sister was committed by my parents when she was 17 and a court order was issued to keep her in till she was done with the program, which I believe was when she was 19.  Her gun rights have been something I've been intrested in find out about, though she's not really intrested in firearms.   Heck, I'm glad she's just alive.  

EDIT: It's was drugs, attempted suicides (plural) and generally clinical depression.  She'll be on anti-depresents and birth control the rest of her life so she can keep "straight".
Link Posted: 6/22/2005 2:58:36 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They typically prescribe a drug that balances chemicals in your brain. Much like depression.

If I recall the yellow form only ask for mental health(as in nutty) I do not think this qualifies as that. But I am not doctor.

That sounds pretty minor.

Despite the correlation between kids doing school shootings and anti-depressants that should probably not DQ an adult.  But I'm no doctor either.
Link Posted: 6/22/2005 3:00:22 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Not to be a dick but if he has a disqualifying event or situation maybe he shouldn't be able to buy guns.

COULD be severe.......... anx·i·e·ty  

1. A state of uneasiness and apprehension, as about future uncertainties.
        2. A cause of anxiety: For some people, air travel is a real anxiety.
  2. Psychiatry. A state of apprehension, uncertainty, and fear resulting from the anticipation of a realistic or fantasized threatening event or situation, often impairing physical and psychological functioning.
  3. Eager, often agitated desire: my anxiety to make a good impression.

OK, that's fucked up.  I'm not sure people with that are safe.
Link Posted: 6/22/2005 3:00:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Going in for counseling is not a problem.

Not going in for counseling might let the "slight general anxiety" develop into something that would be a problem.

Not that I know anything about other than what I read here in GD.

Link Posted: 6/22/2005 3:04:25 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
He can always shoot someone else's... He needs help with anxiety first.  Shooting is a small fraction of life, living life is a lot more important than having your own guns.

Yup, he needs to take care of himself and relise that when he does, EVERYTHING will work out for the better. Whne my 1st son was born, I went through a pretty serious time of adapting. Even though we planned our baby, I had a really hard time for some reason. Well, I went to get some help and everything is fine. He really needs to swallow some pride and get himself some help. It doesn't mean he is crazy . Good luck.
Link Posted: 6/22/2005 3:26:43 PM EDT
[#11]
I suffer from anxiety everytime I go into a gun shop and see dozens of guns I can't afford. It is a circular problem, and the malady can never be cured/eradicated.

I'm just crazy about that stuff!
Link Posted: 6/22/2005 4:55:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Take him fishing and forget about guns.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top