Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/9/2001 7:47:44 PM EDT
I just bought a Heritage safe (thanks Sixtus for the report on yours) and have no idea how to organize it. I have reorganized it 10 times since I got it on Fri.! The thing that suck s is that most of my rifles are pistol gripped equiped and take up lots of room. I have am AR with carrying handle and scope on top that is a pain in the ass but I would hate to take it apart. There's no way I can keep all my ammo in it. So far i hae all my pistol mags, 2 unfinished AR receivers, 3 scopes, and of course my guns. What else? Should I keep my 50 odd AR mags in there as well? After all they are at least worth $10 a pop. But they are going to suk up lots of space. SHow me some pics.
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 8:05:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like you need a bigger or a 2nd safe to me.[8D][8D][8D]

ColtShorty

GOA KABA COA JPFO SAF NRA

"I won't be wronged,  I won't be insulted
and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do
these things to other people and I require
the same from them."
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 8:12:03 PM EDT
[#2]

Seems like those rifle rack inserts keep you from really packing that sucker full.  If you're using them I think I'd ditch them and put in something a little more efficient.

I wouldn't keep the ammo in there, I'd get a cheap Homak steel gun cabinet or something to lock the ammo up in.  Besides, many laws state that guns and ammo must be stored separately [*snort* *guffaw*].

I don't know that I would bother to lock up the mags. I have all my mags in plastic storage bins.  The inside of my safe is pretty dark, and I don't want to be rummaging around in there for anything unnecessarily.  

Link Posted: 7/9/2001 8:33:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I feel your pain...

First off, you gotta learn to look at things and figure a sort of value to volume ratio.  That is, the first things in the safe should be those with the greatest value per volume they take up in the safe.  Something like an SP89 ought to go in before a box of $10 mags.  You've just paid what, $1500 or so for a safe that holds maybe 30 cubic feet of 'stuff'.  That area within the safe is expensive space; what you put in there had better be worth taking up that expensive space.

Get the ammo out of there.  It just takes up too damn much space to put in a safe.  And most thieves are going to take stuff that is light and can be carried away quickly. Ammo is too heavy and too bulky to be a priority target in a theft.

I sort of put mags in the same category as ammo - with a few exceptions though. I put expensive mags in - AR/M16 drums, AM180 drums, expensive HK mags, Glock mags, and Colt 9mm mags.  Basicly any mag worth over $30 each.

All the guns should go in.  Its one thing if a few mags or some ammo is stolen, but you do not want to have a gun stolen.

[edited bekauze i kan't spell good]
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 8:49:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I keep all my ammo in the closet, and the mags in one of those army style trunks.
Now as far as the lighting goes, in the safe I installed some of those rope lights.
I got a set of 12 foot rope lights at Walmart for about $8.99 and got a simple on off switch that I put on the cord. they really brighten up that dark safe and look great.
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 9:11:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Get the small vinyl covered metal handgun racks from Cabela's --- really makes organizing a breeze!

[img]cedargrovepolice.net/rbad_safe/1.jpg[/img]

Link Posted: 7/10/2001 4:20:39 AM EDT
[#6]
I placed a cutout of the grooves on a piece of wood to extend the rifles on the left side in order to allow for the rifles with scopes. Without this, the rifles had to be turned which resulted in taking up multiple spaces.

The bottom left side is for ammo storage and also helps to add weight to the safe. I actually created a box with 3 drawers to maximize space for handguns. Actually you have to see a picture to comprehend the setup.

The bottom line is to play around, you will find what setup best suits you. I was moving stuff around every month until I finally came up with a way to maximize space. This was actually half the fun.

Good Luck

Link Posted: 7/10/2001 4:55:58 AM EDT
[#7]
I too agree, don't keep ammo in the safe.  Use ammo cans for ammo.  Maybe 1 box or 2 is ok.  

I don't have a current pic of my safe (will take one tonight.)  But I too move stuff around a little.  Still haven't figured how I want it layed out.

Mine is 50 cubic feet so I have a little more room than the smaller safes.

Gun Rack:  It says 50 guns but in reality I could probably only get in 30.  Like you said, Pistol grips, scopes, etc take up a lot of room.  My M44 takes up two because of the side bayonette.  M1, Fal, AK etc charging handles get in the way of the next gun.  So, I'm just leaving a space between each gun.  

The top shelf I have some $ in coins, important papers (Form 4, C&R Log etc.)   Some Ceiner 22lr mags for my AR.  My pistols.  The next shelf is my mag shelf.  Plus odds and ends.  AR15 mags, M14 Mags, 9mm mag block, 9mm mags, A few AR lowers with no upper to mate them too.  

I have my AK and Fal mags in ammo cans.  I should probably buy a few 20mm ammo cans and throw most of my AR mags in there.  

I'll try to take a pic tonight and post it.

---
Shaggy.  Where do you keep the 1919's?   Show me a pic of your safe. [:D]

---
Here is an older pic of the lower section of my safe.
[img]wsphotofews.excite.com/016/qg/ce/yN/zf52112.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 9:07:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Rbad:

where do you get that pistol rack?? I want to find something like that as well.
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 9:35:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Hey RBAD, the small vinyl covered metal handgun racks, will it fit a wheel gun in it also?
Riz
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 9:40:08 AM EDT
[#10]
greentips,  he says he bought it from cabelas'.

can't link to it.  Go there and search for handgun rack.

[img]www.cabelas.com/images/imgcache/XA656L-XA656L.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 10:16:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 10:51:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Rbad:

where do you get that pistol rack?? I want to find something like that as well.
View Quote

I was really impressed with the quality of these!!

[url]cabelas.com/texis-END Of Script Attempt-
s/store/+/CatalogDisplay/displayPOD/CabFALL1998/CabFALL1998AAAjAJ/XA656L[/url]
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 10:53:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Hey RBAD, the small vinyl covered metal handgun racks, will it fit a wheel gun in it also?
Riz
View Quote

Yes siree !

I have 2 of the 6 gun racks just for my revolvers.  The largest revolvers that I have are Shit&Weasel 686 4" and  Colt Python 4" and they fit just fine.
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 11:42:39 AM EDT
[#14]
[img]www.imagestation.com/picture/p04fa786efa186699490a440b3cf7f2e1/fe5c1af4.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 1:56:14 PM EDT
[#15]
[edited because I clicked twice - see below]
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 1:57:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
---
Shaggy.  Where do you keep the 1919's?   Show me a pic of your safe. [:D]
View Quote

I can't do a pic (camera got ripped off last week), but the 1919's are kept in several places...literally.  I can get one complete gun in if I remove the stock and bipod; the other one has to be completely disassembled and I only put the receiver box in the safe.  The other parts; bipod, tripod, barrels & barel shroud, etc. are stored in various places around the house.  The AM180 is the same - the receiver and drums are in the safe but the stock and barrel are not because I'm simply out of room in it.

I really need to breakdown and just spend the bills for another...or just get a bigger one (anybody want to buy a slightly used AMSEC safe?)  I just got a stripped FMP G3 receiver and I literally can't get it in the safe without risking scratching or dinging something else.
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 2:27:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Shaggy, I have a better suggestion.  Just sell me one of the 1919's and maybe the 180 for a small amount.  [:D]

Ok, here is my current pic.  

[img]wsphotofews.excite.com/026/Wa/ze/cq/DA54310.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 8:00:30 PM EDT
[#18]
As far as lighting goes, one of those round plastic housing lights that turn on and off when you push on them are ideal. They have them at Walmart for about $6.99  
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 8:37:01 PM EDT
[#19]

The first pic showed no ammo in the cabinet.
No wonder the fixed bayonet.
Your capable of maintaining a line of defense/offense until you replenish supplies.

The second pic showed us an ample supply of ammo.
So, you don't need that bayonet anymore..
Wait a minute!
Is that the tip of the blade peeking at us from behind the bag on the shelf?
I was worried for a second.
I thought you lost the taste for engaging at arms length!

Link Posted: 7/11/2001 8:53:09 AM EDT
[#20]
BigZ,  Looks like he had the bayo on the shorty so it would reach the barrel rack.  In the second pic, he's got it standing on a scrap 2x4 so it will reach without the bayo.  I have the same problem with my shorty AR.  Won't reach the rack, so I just stand it up across the front against the middle support, kinda "sideways" if you can picture it that way.

I have some ammo in my safe, but keep most of it elsewhere.  I wonder what would happen in a fire to ammo in a safe?  It would suck to buy a safe to keep your toys nice and cozy and safe, and then incinerate them in a house fire, huh?  My safe is fire-rated, and I built it into a wall and added extra insulation, but I still wonder about storing ANY ammo in there at all!
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 10:22:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Damn, now I'm drooling again.  (Nice safe pics!)

I'd recommend getting an el-cheapo Walmart gun safe for your ammo.  Put the ammo in those green .50 cal cans and then stack them inside the safe.

As for mag storage, [b]shaggy's[/b] got it right.  Put your expensive and irreplacable stuff in first.  If you've got room left over, put in other expensive stuff.  (More than guns can go into a gun safe.  Any coins?  Jewelry?  Stock certificates?  Wills?)  Mags can go into one of those large ammo cans.  (They're like .50 cal, but a LOT taller.)

The benefit of the ammo can is that it can be totally sealed.  Just make sure when you buy one that the deal and locking mechanism is intact.

Cheaper Than Dirt has a large supply of ammo cans of all sizes the last time I checked.  These items also show up on eBay occasionally.  The prices seem reasonable, but the savings may be eaten in shipping costs.  Before ordering online, you may want to look around Army/Navy surplus stores and at your local gun show.  The other idea for mag storage would be to buy one of WalMart's el-cheapo handgun safes.  Put your mags in there; it'd be about $50 for the safe to protect $500+ worth of mags.

Good luck!

Mike
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 10:26:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Hey Shaggy,

How big is your safe? I'm in NY also and was thinking of getting one.
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 12:48:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Steve you could also buy some gun socks that are impregnated with silicone. This will allow you to stack you long arms closer without fear of them scratching one another. I know Midway has the guns socks and I think they are less than $10.00 each.

No Slack!
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 1:02:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Shaggy, I have a better suggestion.  Just sell me one of the 1919's and maybe the 180 for a small amount.  [:D]

View Quote

I can't sell a 1919 - if I did, I'd probably run out and buy another 6-8 rifles with the money...then I'd REALLY need a new safe.

The 180? Well I'm revising my will and I'm going to have it buried with me.  Eternity is a long time;  I'm going to need something to do while I'm there.
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 1:07:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Hey Shaggy,

How big is your safe? I'm in NY also and was thinking of getting one.
View Quote

Kin -

Its approximately 60x24x30 - I'll get an accurate measurement tonight and write down some details.  Drop me an email when you get a chance.
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 2:51:38 PM EDT
[#26]
That's gotta be wider than 30". I will try to post a pic of my new safe it's 60x30x25. It sure as hell doesn't look that wide.
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 3:24:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The first pic showed no ammo in the cabinet.
No wonder the fixed bayonet.
Your capable of maintaining a line of defense/offense until you replenish supplies.

The second pic showed us an ample supply of ammo.
So, you don't need that bayonet anymore..
Wait a minute!
Is that the tip of the blade peeking at us from behind the bag on the shelf?
I was worried for a second.
I thought you lost the taste for engaging at arms length!

View Quote

Someone asked to see a gun with a bayonet on it so I put one on my M16.  It usually is off and hides in the right side of my safe.  On the wood.  It is short. :)   Ammo in my safe?  Only a few small boxes.   All my ammo are in these ammo cans.

[img]wsphotofews.excite.com/025/8L/KU/Dq/YF44396.jpg[/img]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top