Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/7/2001 7:17:13 PM EDT
God forbid, if we ever had to go to war, which bullet type would you use? I understand that M193 is a 55 grain bullet intended for use in M16A1 barrels with a 1 in 12 inch twist rate.

What is the grain weight of SS109? I do know that this bullet was designed for the M16A2's 1 in 7 inch twist rate.

So which is the better UN personnel killer? Which would be better for a survival situation and what is the SS109's cost compared to M193?
Link Posted: 7/7/2001 7:33:10 PM EDT
[#1]
From what I read, both are the same:

http://home.snafu.de/l.moeller/military_bullet_wound_patterns.html

However, a rule of thumb for wounding potential says that heavier grained bullets are better. A rifle with a 1x8 or 1x9 twist would be best all around. Since SS 109 ammo is not sold in local stores, I would opt for Black Hills 60 or 68 grain soft pointed match ammo. It's wounding potential ranks right up there or above the best .223 ammo out there.

themao [chainsawkill]
Link Posted: 7/7/2001 7:54:05 PM EDT
[#2]
SS109 (M193) is 62 grain.

Some guys I've talked with seem to prefer the 55 gr. They are the experts down at MTU (Marksmanship Trng unit) so I guess they know what they are talking about. According to them some it is not due to weight but because SS109 is/can be really inaccurate. Mainly because the steel core has to be perfectly centered, or it's like a lawnmower with half a blade and goes off whichever way it wants to. (exaggeration but it can be very innacurate)

55 gr can be shot through nearly any twist from 1:7 to 1:12. 62gr cannot be shot through a 1:12 twist barrel.

I prefer 55 gr because I have a 1:9 twist in my primary SHTF gun so it stabilizes nicely. M193 equivilent ammo is plentiful and cheap, and accurate enough. I can accurately and consistently hit 300 yards open sights standing with 55gr winchester and a 14.5" barrel, so I figure what more do you need for a "combat" rifle.
Link Posted: 7/7/2001 7:59:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Since SS 109 ammo is not sold in local stores, I would opt for Black Hills 60 or 68 grain soft pointed match ammo.
themao [chainsawkill]
View Quote
You can buy SS109 all day long at [url]www.georgia-arms.com[/url].  A can of 500 SS109, which is 62 grain, costs $105.00 vs. $70.00 for 55gr FMJ.  Look under 'CANNED HEAT'.  You can also buy smaller quantities such as 50 for $14.00.  Look under 'VARMINT AMMUNITION'.  I would not want to be shot with either, but I think the 55gr will work fine.  I also like it for my original ArmaLite AR180's made back in the 60's and 70's which have a 1/12 twist.  I try to keep a quantity of both on hand, usually quite a bit more of the 55gr.

Personally, I have seen too many people have feed trouble with soft points that I stay away from them.

M4Guy, you make some very interesting points which make a lot of sense.  Never thought about the core causing a wobble, but I can see how that would be so.
Link Posted: 7/7/2001 8:10:51 PM EDT
[#4]
The M193 has a tendency to tumble and fragment when it hits flesh, the SS109 is a penetrator round.  The SS109 will not tumble, it punches a clean .22 hole through the guy on the receiving end.  Note the problems with stopping power in Somalia, caused mostly by the bullet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top