Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/7/2001 5:27:47 PM EDT
That's right, when did you FIRST ... fire a gun?  And for that matter, when was the first time you actually went out and bought one of your own?

My first experience was back on the Red Bank High School JROTC team in Chatt, TN.  Rimfire .22 trainer rifles, little plinker things, but it was fun - AND they kept them around school property!  Can't say things are the same now 8 years later.  I bought an AR 6 months ago, my only and one true love (for now), and man...what a ride it's been.

[img]www.auburn.edu/~littlcb/E-vil2.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/7/2001 5:37:01 PM EDT
[#1]
My first time was a Remington Model 722 Rifle chambered for .220 Swift.  My dad was sighting it in getting ready for the Illinois fox season to start.  I still have that gun, and have taken many fox and coyote with it myself.  It was retired several years ago, however, when I purchased my first AR-15, a Bushmaster XMES 16" Carbine.  I've gone nuts buyings AR-15s and parts since that first one.  This gun is addicting!
Link Posted: 7/7/2001 5:38:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/7/2001 5:40:41 PM EDT
[#3]
The first time I remember shooting was with a Army friend of my parents. It was a stainless Colt Python, with .38 loads. I dunno, I guess I was 7.
My first rifle was a Marksman air-rifle.
First .22 was a Marlin Mod 20.
Because I was in the USMC @ 18 I never bought another rifle 'till 1990.

First AR? Eagle 1994.

Lew[smash]
Link Posted: 7/7/2001 5:43:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/7/2001 5:44:54 PM EDT
[#5]
The first gun I fired would have been my grandpa's Winchester Model 61 pump .22. I was ~5 and my dad took me out back to shot it in the garden. I blew up one of my grandma's tomatoes.

The first gun I purchased would be a Cabela's Hawken .50 BP back when I was ~16. Since we lived in a semi-rural area we could deer hunt w/ BP rifle or a Bow.

[IMG]http://ubb.mcuzi.com/ubb/icons/icon21.gif[/IMG]
Link Posted: 7/7/2001 6:01:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I was 5 years old. My dad took me and my two brothers and taught us to shoot with a Winchester .22 single shot bolt action. He bought me my first gun, a single shot .410 when I was 7. It was taken in a burglary many, many years ago. The first gun I bought for myself was a Savage pump 12ga. with a slug barrel for deer hunting when i was 18.
Link Posted: 7/7/2001 6:12:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't recall which time was first. It was either with the Remington Model 12 pump .22 dad found in the wall of the house when we were insulating it. Dad reached down from attic and felt something and pulled out the gun minus the stock. We took it out and fired it. Decided it worked okay and took it to a gunsmith for a new stock. Still have it. [:)]

It might have been a couple of years earlier dad and I were pheasant hunting ( okay, he was, I was tagging along) and he let me shoot his Rem. 870 12ga. w/30" bbl. I could barely hold it up. But it didn't knock me down. I've been hooked ever since. Thanks Dad!
Link Posted: 7/7/2001 6:17:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Oh...first one bought.

I took my high school graduation gift money and like any good all red blooded American boys should, bought a pair of bino's and a 10/22. This was in '78 and the carbines still came with walnut stocks. [8D] Yea, I still have both and use them.
Link Posted: 7/7/2001 6:19:57 PM EDT
[#9]
First time of all places was in California some 20 years ago.  Summer vacation, my brother and I were out from Maryland, I'm 6, bro's 8, and Grandpa let us shoot the 22 on his farm [:D].  Super cool.  Of course, he had to get a couple of blue jays picking grapes, so he had at them with the 12 ga....wow...how big and loud that was then.  Boy scouts summer camp every year from 12 to 17, did rifle, didn't do shotgun though.  
First gun I bought was a Mossberg 500.  Didn't shoot it for nearly a year, then started at the trap range.  Speaking of which...I should go tomorrow...
Link Posted: 7/7/2001 6:20:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/7/2001 7:00:29 PM EDT
[#11]
First shot:  Summer camp, 10, a .22 Remington 40X.

First gun:  16, finished first year of military school, mother bought me a Winchester 70 .30-06 and scope.
Link Posted: 7/7/2001 7:22:01 PM EDT
[#12]
1963 and I was 4 years old. Daddy propped up that old Winchester mod 97 12ga. and I yanked on the trigger. I didn't drop it and it pushed me pretty hard. The next year he bought me a Stevens .410.

The first one that I bought was a Remington mod 742 in .30-06 when I was 17. I have killed too many deer to remember with that rifle.
Link Posted: 7/7/2001 7:23:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Four or five years old with a Colt .45acp.  Thing kicked back and hit me in the nose.  [:D]

First gun I bought (age of 19) was actually a preban Olympic Arms CAR-15 parts gun.  To this day, I still have [b]no[/b] idea of the make of the upper.  

Mike
Link Posted: 7/7/2001 8:19:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Got my first BBgun when I was 5.... does that count?

Wore it out the first year, so Dad bought me my first .22 when I was 6.  That was the first time I fired a real firearm.  It was some weird kind of slode action single shot, the fore-end twisted to the right, then pulled back, exposing the open chamber for a reload.

I'd still like to know what kind of rifle that was.

It had so much metal on it, I couldn't hold it up for free-standing shooting, so my Dad traded it for a Remington bolt action single shot .22

Went to Wal-Mart when I was 7 and bought myself a H&R 20 gauge break action single shot.... spent $59 of my Christmas money.  First gun I "owned"   (Dad again had to actually do the legal "buying"

Boy, did I ever shoot that shotgun.  Still have it.
Link Posted: 7/7/2001 8:21:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/7/2001 8:29:46 PM EDT
[#16]
1986, Norway.
Link Posted: 7/7/2001 8:39:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Around 71' or 72'.........making me about 5 or 6 at the time.

Remington Nylon 66 (.22 of course) and a bunch of Pabst Blue Ribbon Cans that met their deaths in our back yard.  My Dad still has that rifle.

First one I ever bought was a Remington 552 Speedmaster with the real high gloss finish and very nice blueing.  Still have it also.  Would rather give up G1 or G2 than to lose it!
Link Posted: 7/7/2001 9:17:44 PM EDT
[#18]
boy scout camp! it sucked 'till i found the range. i spent every dollar i had and every minuite i could get away. i was obsessed with guns almost out of the womb, to my parent's horror.- you know, the sixties, vietnam, and an uncle over there. they wouldn't let me have toy guns, so i would make 'em out of lumber and old curtian rods. when i was 13 they broke down and got me a daisy red ryder. things were never the same.

last week i took a 17 yr old out to the range and HIS first shots were with a full-auto uzi and a car-15! boy that felt cool![:D]
Link Posted: 7/7/2001 10:03:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Santa Claus gave me a Daisy BB gun when I was 4 years old. At 5 years old my father (who I finally discovered was Santa Claus) and I religiously shot his Winchester Model 69A bolt action .22 Long rifle. I talked my father into letting me shoot his H&R double barrel 20 gauge. Took some talking, but I finally got him to let me shoot his Remington Model 1100 12 gauge just before I turned 6 years old. With Santa Claus taking care of the legalities, he let me purchase a Winchester Model 64B semi-auto .22 Long rifle with my hard earned weekly allowance at the age of 10 years old. I was taught the proper respect, handling, and safety, when using a firearm and I also knew what the 2nd Amendment was before I started kindergarten. This thread has brought back some great memories for me. My father just passed away this past December. Greatest duck and goose hunter that ever walked on this earth. He always told everyone when he dies that he is going to the happy hunting ground. Can you believe this. The reaper getting sentimental. Going to ruin my reputation.
Link Posted: 7/8/2001 5:22:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Was probably about 8 when grandmother bought me my first bb gun.  Probably about same time she showed me how to shoot with a 22, a Win. single shot, think it's called a falling block.
First shotgun was .410 single shot she kept loaded behind bedroom door.  Had it made back then, go out and get some birds and rabbits, come back and lunch with great cookies or pie wuld be ready, go out and get some more, and then we'd clean them.

1st purchase was a Crossman 22 co2 rifle from Monkey Ward when about 12.  First gun wasn't till 21 when out of school, 20 ga. 870 if remember right.

Powderburner
Link Posted: 7/8/2001 6:00:47 AM EDT
[#21]
About 7-8 year old at the time. We were visiting a friend of the family who happened to be a weapons collector.

The Suomi 9x19 SMG, Mauser C96, Czech Vz52 and others were the first weapons i shot.
Link Posted: 7/8/2001 6:25:56 AM EDT
[#22]
When I found my Dad's .22!! [X]

The first time I shot a pistol was for qualification for my ribbon.

I just bought my first gun (Oly CAR-97) a little less than a year ago, right after the pistol qual.

[Edited for WAY wrong face.]
Link Posted: 7/8/2001 6:31:45 AM EDT
[#23]
I honestly can't remember the first time I shot a real gun. I do know that I was younger than 8 and it was my cousins 16ga shotgun though.

I did learn a very important lesson when I was 4 or 5 and I shot my first pellet gun. The gun belonged to a neighbor of ours (adult) and I saw him out playing with it and he let me shoot it with him guarding over. I shot a locust or cicada (sp?), whatever you want to call it. One of those big green flying bugs that are all over Texas during the summer in the trees. I thought the pellet would just hit it and knock it down out of the tree but instead it killed it and I cried. That is when I realized that guns aren't toys and it was a very important lesson that Im glad happened to me when I was so young.

Michael
Link Posted: 7/8/2001 7:01:56 AM EDT
[#24]
The first gun I shot was a single shot bolt action .22lr.  I guess I was 8 or 9 years old. I have not seen the rifle since I was about 13 so all I know is that we called it the 'boys' rifle.  I got my first rifle, a Marlin Model 60, when I was 13. I shot that for a while then actually paid for my first gun when I was 17.  A Browning A-bolt II Composite Stalker in 7mm Rem Mag. I have been shooting more and hunting more every year since. [:)]
Link Posted: 7/8/2001 7:11:49 AM EDT
[#25]
I was in the 10th grade, in the the high school ROTC indoor shooting range.  At that time, they had rifle training on the campus.  I discovered that I couldn't see the bullseye, all I could see was the paper.  Needed eye glasses.  We shot a box of 22LR that cost me $.50.  Best $.50 I spent.
Link Posted: 7/8/2001 7:23:50 AM EDT
[#26]
A long time ago. I was four. Shooting in the fields on River Road in Washington, D.C.
Link Posted: 7/8/2001 7:24:24 AM EDT
[#27]
I'll never forget it,
I was 11 years old, my first trip to 10 Mile river Boy Scout camp.
The Range master let me shoot his Nylon 66 and I've been hooked ever since.
[:D]
Link Posted: 7/8/2001 7:45:35 AM EDT
[#28]
First BB gun at 7.  I shot with my dads .22 at 14 at my Grandma's farm.  M-16 @ 18 via the Army.  Bought my first gun,  a SPAS-12 @ 24 and my latest one, an 03A3, yesterday.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top