Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 5/26/2005 7:33:30 PM EDT
I was working a DLC on a back road along with about 4 other officers. I see this van coming towards us. He stops about 125 yards short of the checkpoint. Diver get's out and raises the hood of the van. A few seconds later the passenger get's out. They both look over the engine. Close the hood but now the passenger is climbing into the drivers seat and the driver into the passenger seat.

They pull up to the checkpoint. I ask the new driver for his liscense. He has one but smells of beer. A field sobriety test later a DUI arrest is made. I then go get the original driver, I ask for his liscense, he asks why, I say because your were originally driving the van. He goes ape shit. Turns out his liscense is SUSPENDED for a previous DUI. So I do a field test on him. Boom another DUI, plus driving while suspended.

Guess what else? In their haste to hide their open beers they forgot about the two smoking pipes and bag of dope sitting on the console. In plain view.
Link Posted: 5/26/2005 7:37:38 PM EDT
[#1]
oops
Link Posted: 5/26/2005 7:37:46 PM EDT
[#2]
nice catch.

What is a DLC?
Link Posted: 5/26/2005 7:50:50 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
nice catch.

What is a DLC?

Draconian Like Checkpoint
Link Posted: 5/26/2005 7:52:42 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
nice catch.

What is a DLC?

Draconian Like Checkpoint

Close Drivers Liscese Checkpoint.
Link Posted: 5/26/2005 7:55:27 PM EDT
[#5]
2 fer 1 sale?
Link Posted: 5/26/2005 7:59:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Most of our checkpoints around here are to check for proof of Insurance. Sometimes there are sobriety checkpoints but only seen them in city limits.

I don't mind them here in MO but its the ones in Illinois that make me nervous since sometimes I forget to lock up my CCW in the trunk before I drive over there.
Link Posted: 5/26/2005 8:07:23 PM EDT
[#7]
My best checkpoint story, and my only one by the way since it's the only one I have experienced in my 28 years, was when we pulled up to a Florida highway patrol seatbelt checkpoint. 10 years ago, three of us in the truck, all have an open beer (first one of the day, still illegal I know). Luckily the trooper that is walking up to the truck, I know him personally. Helped build his house when I worked for my uncle. I say "Hey Pete, we're trying to go fishing before dark you know we're good". He just laughs and waves us through. I love small town favortism Don't drink while driving anymore though, I like the driving privileges my gov'mnt "allows" me to have
Link Posted: 5/26/2005 8:11:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Could you ballpark the punishment those two winners are in for?
Link Posted: 5/26/2005 8:13:15 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I was working a DLC on a back road along with about 4 other officers. I see this van coming towards us. He stops about 125 yards short of the checkpoint. Diver get's out and raises the hood of the van. A few seconds later the passenger get's out. They both look over the engine. Close the hood but now the passenger is climbing into the drivers seat and the driver into the passenger seat.

They pull up to the checkpoint. I ask the new driver for his liscense. He has one but smells of beer. A field sobriety test later a DUI arrest is made. I then go get the original driver, I ask for his liscense, he asks why, I say because your were originally driving the van. He goes ape shit. Turns out his liscense is SUSPENDED for a previous DUI. So I do a field test on him. Boom another DUI, plus driving while suspended.

Guess what else? In their haste to hide their open beers they forgot about the two smoking pipes and bag of dope sitting on the console. In plain view.

Say it with me...all together now...

CROOKS...ARE...STUPID!!!
Link Posted: 5/26/2005 8:17:55 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Could you ballpark the punishment those two winners are in for?

I really don't remeber. Frist driver maybe 15 days and less than a $1000 in fines. Second guy, no jail, a little less than $1000 and suspended DL.
Link Posted: 5/27/2005 7:42:13 AM EDT
[#11]
bump
Link Posted: 5/27/2005 8:10:48 AM EDT
[#12]
I was on the way home from my girlfriend's (now wife) house late one night a few years ago. She lived 10+ miles out in the boonies. I came up to a checkpoint set up by the sheriff's office but I wasn't worried because I wasn't drunk and I had a valid DL. Prior to arriving at this checkpoint I had stopped and picked up this huge dead chicken from the middle of the road to take home and throw to my neighbor's annoying ass dog that wouldn't stop barking 24/7. I figured this would give him something to do.

Anyway, I pull up and immediately recognize the deputy and he recognizes me. Well, another deputy didn't recognize me at first and started shining his Maglite in the back of my truck and sees the dead chicken. He busts out laughing and says "What are you doing with a dead chicken?" By that time we are all laughing. I then ask if they want to see my DL to which they reply "Man are you kidding, get out of here." I felt really stupid explaining to some guys I have know for years why I am carrying around a dead chicken.

Link Posted: 5/27/2005 8:31:15 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Most of our checkpoints around here are to check for proof of Insurance. Sometimes there are sobriety checkpoints but only seen them in city limits.

I don't mind them here in MO but its the ones in Illinois that make me nervous since sometimes I forget to lock up my CCW in the trunk before I drive over there.

We will do it all tonight.
Drivers Licence
Seatbelt
Insurance
Sobriety

Any problems
Warrant check

We make a fair number of arrests
write a good number of citations
and tow a bunch of cars.
Link Posted: 5/27/2005 8:41:56 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Drivers Licence
Seatbelt
Insurance
Sobriety

Any problems
Warrant check

and tow a bunch of cars.

I'm sorry could you repeat that in German.
Link Posted: 5/27/2005 8:52:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Maybe it is not this way everywhere, and I have never personally seen a checkpoint, but around here they put it in the paper about a week ahead of time and on the news the day before and at 6 o'clock.

So when I see in the paper, "Sheriff to conduct DUI checkpoint at intersection of 725 and Hill Rd Saturday from 6:00 pm until 10:00 pm."  I always wonder who would go that way with a suspended DL or a drink under there belt?

Dan
Link Posted: 5/27/2005 8:55:02 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Drivers Licence
Seatbelt
Insurance
Sobriety

Any problems
Warrant check

and tow a bunch of cars.

Ihre Papiere gefallen

TXL
Link Posted: 5/27/2005 8:55:43 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Drivers Licence
Seatbelt
Insurance
Sobriety

Any problems
Warrant check

and tow a bunch of cars.

What a tremendous waste of resources.  Except for all the money that will now be going into the city's coffers....
Link Posted: 5/27/2005 8:59:30 AM EDT
[#18]
so lets say you roll up on the checkpoint and the copper says "liscence and registration" what do you think he would say if I just hand him a copy of the bill of rights?? (higlighting a specific section of course)
Link Posted: 5/27/2005 9:00:42 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Maybe it is not this way everywhere, and I have never personally seen a checkpoint, but around here they put it in the paper about a week ahead of time and on the news the day before and at 6 o'clock.

So when I see in the paper, "Sheriff to conduct DUI checkpoint at intersection of 725 and Hill Rd Saturday from 6:00 pm until 10:00 pm."  I always wonder who would go that way with a suspended DL or a drink under there belt?

Dan

The drunks don't watch the news.
Link Posted: 5/27/2005 9:01:21 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
so lets say you roll up on the checkpoint and the copper says "liscence and registration" what do you think he would say if I just hand him a copy of the bill of rights?? (higlighting a specific section of course)

Hand it back and ask again.
Link Posted: 5/27/2005 9:01:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Your paper has fallen tx?
Link Posted: 5/27/2005 9:01:47 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

nothing*

*but your dog would be toast.
Link Posted: 5/27/2005 9:01:58 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Drivers Licence
Seatbelt
Insurance
Sobriety

Any problems
Warrant check

and tow a bunch of cars.

Where in CA?
Link Posted: 5/27/2005 9:02:02 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I was on the way home from my girlfriend's (now wife) house late one night a few years ago. She lived 10+ miles out in the boonies. I came up to a checkpoint set up by the sheriff's office but I wasn't worried because I wasn't drunk and I had a valid DL. Prior to arriving at this checkpoint I had stopped and picked up this huge dead chicken from the middle of the road to take home and throw to my neighbor's annoying ass dog that wouldn't stop barking 24/7. I figured this would give him something to do.

Anyway, I pull up and immediately recognize the deputy and he recognizes me. Well, another deputy didn't recognize me at first and started shining his Maglite in the back of my truck and sees the dead chicken. He busts out laughing and says "What are you doing with a dead chicken?" By that time we are all laughing. I then ask if they want to see my DL to which they reply "Man are you kidding, get out of here." I felt really stupid explaining to some guys I have know for years why I am carrying around a dead chicken.

It was already dead, Riiiiight!!!.....[Southpark] Chicken Lover!!!![/Southpark]........
Link Posted: 5/27/2005 9:07:28 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Drivers Licence
Seatbelt
Insurance
Sobriety

Any problems
Warrant check

and tow a bunch of cars.

You all should put up this sign first, or better yet put it at the California border.
Link Posted: 5/27/2005 9:07:46 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

nothing*

*but your dog would be toast.

I do cruise with my mut.... she hates when people come near the windows
Link Posted: 5/27/2005 9:08:05 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Your in a heap of trouble boy.    

Colt_SBR  
Link Posted: 5/27/2005 9:10:41 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Colt_SBR  

ya probably, heh... i have only had one negative envounter with the police. but i can see another one  happening one day. too bad all the cops just follow orders and dont mind violating rights.
Link Posted: 5/27/2005 9:15:57 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Drivers Licence
Seatbelt
Insurance
Sobriety

Any problems
Warrant check

and tow a bunch of cars.

Why are you a fucking NAZI?

Checkpoints are perfectly legal and actually keep other drivers safer.
Do you want unlicensed, drunk drivers out on the road with you and your family?
Do you want drunk drivers who are licensed and insured out on the road with you?
Do you think it is a good idea to take unlicensed and uninsured people off of the roads?
Do you want people who just got here from Mexico two days ago and do not know how to drive to run over your children?
Do you think it is a good idea to find people with warrants and get them back into the court system so they can take care of thoer cases.
Do you agree that people spun out on methamphetamine should not be driving around with syringes, guns and stolen property in the stolen vehicle they just stole from you or your neighbor this morning?

I could go on and on but I am sure you think of yourself as a patriot when you are just a supporter of criminals.
Have you ever gone through a checkpoint?
It takes a few seconds unless you do not have your license or smell like alcohol, then it takes a little longer.  Many people who do not have thier license with them but do have a valid license still do not get a citation they are just told that the law says they must carry thier licewnse with them.

People who are
drunk
unlicensed/suspended/revoked
wanted
etc................... have thier vehicle impounded and are arrested or cited and released.
Link Posted: 5/27/2005 9:16:07 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I've been stopped a few times.  Speeding, speeding again, faded license plate, and 'it's late and you're the only one out here'.

Trying to pick a fight with a cop doesn't lead to anything you want.  Really.

If you want to change the policy, talk to the department admins, not the guys actually on the roadblock.
Link Posted: 5/27/2005 9:16:24 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Colt_SBR  

ya probably, heh... i have only had one negative envounter with the police. but i can see another one  happening one day. too bad all the cops just follow orders and dont mind violating rights.

OK, I'll bite, how would they be violating anyone's rights at a checkpoint?
Link Posted: 5/27/2005 9:17:08 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I'm guessing he would ask you again for your license and registration.
Link Posted: 5/27/2005 9:17:14 AM EDT
[#33]
Each such violation of individual rights (in this case the 4th Amendment) moves us a little bit closer to the day when people no longer stand for it.  
Link Posted: 5/27/2005 9:21:22 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Drivers Licence
Seatbelt
Insurance
Sobriety

Any problems
Warrant check

and tow a bunch of cars.

Do you want drunk drivers who are licensed and insured out on the road with you?
Do you think it is a good idea to take unlicensed and uninsured people off of the roads?
Do you want people who just got here from Mexico two days ago and do not know how to drive to run over your children?
Do you think it is a good idea to find people with warrants and get them back into the court system so they can take care of thoer cases.
Do you agree that people spun out on methamphetamine should not be driving around with syringes, guns and stolen property in the stolen vehicle they just stole from you or your neighbor this morning?

I could go on and on but I am sure you think of yourself as a patriot when you are just a supporter of criminals.
It takes a few seconds unless you do not have your license or smell like alcohol, then it takes a little longer.  Many people who do not have thier license with them but do have a valid license still do not get a citation they are just told that the law says they must carry thier licewnse with them.

People who are
drunk
wanted
etc................... have thier vehicle impounded and are arrested or cited and released.

I'm glad that you get drunks off the road. Be careful out there this weekend. Holiday weekends bring out the shitheads.
Link Posted: 5/27/2005 9:21:40 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Drivers Licence
Seatbelt
Insurance
Sobriety

Any problems
Warrant check

and tow a bunch of cars.

People who are
drunk
wanted

have you ever read the constitution??? I do want all the assholes you mentioned above pulled off the street, I would also like to see them serve some real jail time (I'm sure we agree on this) hey maybe you guys should just do house to house dynamic entries and check everyone to make sure they are not wanted? The fact that the courts are allowing this unjust search does not make it right, it just means were getting closer to being a complete police state.

Any man that would give up Liberty for safety loses both, and deserves neither.... whos said that? probably some whacked out radical.
Link Posted: 5/27/2005 9:23:37 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

People who are
drunk
wanted

I support all the terrible  things you listed, if the alternative is having American citizens stopped and forced to interact with law enforcement officers in the absence of any reason to believe they have broken any law. People have the fundamental right to go about their business without being stopped, poked, prodded, interrogated, inspected, or bothered in any way, unless there is reason to believe, before they are importuned, that they have broken the law. Anybody who thinks otherwise is by definition a hater of freedom.
Link Posted: 5/27/2005 9:23:54 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
What a tremendous waste of resources.  Except for all the money that will now be going into the city's coffers....

We get Reserves, CSU (Citizens Service Unit) and Explorers who are all unpaid Volunteers.
I will be on straight time and will still be responding to calls for service but there will be 3 or 4 Deputies who will be on overtime.  The City pays for it because they want us to do it.  It does bring in money to the City and County.
It also
Gets wanted people off the street.
Lowers crime slightly when we arrest the guy who is committing several residential burglaries a day.
Lowers the traffic accident rate.
It is really a good thing and we only do it once every 4 or 5 months.  They advertized it in the newspaper on Tuesday telling what day it would happen and between what hours it would occur.  It did not give the exact street location.
Link Posted: 5/27/2005 9:25:32 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Where in CA?

A wonderful little City called Wasco. Northwest of Bakersfield on Highway 46.
Link Posted: 5/27/2005 9:28:35 AM EDT
[#39]
ETA I have been through 2 checkpoints since you asked. One was just

cop "how much have you had to drink tonight sir"
me "nothing yet its like 7pm, maybe you guys can get me on my way back"
cop "haha, have a good night dont drink and drive"

2nd time:
cop: where you going, any weapons, drugs... you probably have drugs!!??
me: sir that sort of thing is not for me, I dont do drugs.
cop: ohhh so who are the drugs in your car for then???!! huh boy
me: I dont have any drugs in my car
cop: give me your liscence and step out the car
me: ok
cop: your high on something arent you??
me: no sir I dont do that shit to my body
cop: why you so nervous, you got something to hide?
me: maybe cause some cop is dragging me outta my car for no reason?

eventually he figures that he can let me go with no ticket or anything else because there was no reason to pull me over in the first place. thats why we have the bill of rights, it was an unjust search period.
Link Posted: 5/27/2005 9:29:07 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

What right do you think you have to not present your drivers license upon request?
When you accept a license you agree to abide by the traffic laws one of which is to provide your license upon request of an officer.  If you do not have a drivers license you are breaking the law by driving.
Link Posted: 5/27/2005 9:32:15 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What right do you think you have to not present your drivers license upon request?
When you accept a license you agree to abide by the traffic laws one of which is to provide your license upon request of an officer.  If you do not have a drivers license you are breaking the law by driving.

OK it is also against the law for me to have lets say a meth lab in my pocket right? but do you set up a check point on the street and check everyone to see if they have a meth lab in their pocket??

the point sir is that if you have a reason to stop me i will respecfully give you all required information and if you give me a ticket i wont badmouth you or nothing cause i know the speed limit. however if your pullin me over just to see if you can get me for something that you currently have no evidence or reasonable suspicion about that is a violation of rights.
Link Posted: 5/27/2005 9:33:13 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

People who are
drunk
wanted

Let me hide the dog before I answer you...

Opposing roadblocks is NOT the same as supporting criminals.  Some of us still believe in the Constitution and don't care for unnecessary searches.  
Link Posted: 5/27/2005 9:34:15 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
have you ever read the constitution??? Yes
I do want all the assholes you mentioned above pulled off the street, I would also like to see them serve some real jail time (I'm sure we agree on this) Me to
hey maybe you guys should just do house to house dynamic entries and check everyone to make sure they are not wanted? Now that would violate the Constitution that I love and cherish. You have heard of unreasonable search and siezure have you not?

The fact that the courts are allowing this unjust search does not make it right, it just means were getting closer to being a complete police state. What is unjust about a checkpoint?

Any man that would give up Liberty for safety loses both, and deserves neither.... whos said that? probably some whacked out radical.

(It was Ben Franklin)
Link Posted: 5/27/2005 9:35:40 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I do want all the assholes you mentioned above pulled off the street, I would also like to see them serve some real jail time (I'm sure we agree on this) Me to
hey maybe you guys should just do house to house dynamic entries and check everyone to make sure they are not wanted? Now that would violate the Constitution that I love and cherish. You have heard of unreasonable search and siezure have you not?

The fact that the courts are allowing this unjust search does not make it right, it just means were getting closer to being a complete police state. What is unjust about a checkpoint?

(It was Ben Franklin)

so what do you think?? is he just some old dead guy that supports criminals??
Link Posted: 5/27/2005 9:38:03 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

(It was Ben Franklin)

the unjust thing about a checkpoint is YOU HAVE NO REASON TO STOP ME!! thats the whole point. I am not doing anything illegal to your knowledge, so you should leave me alone.
Link Posted: 5/27/2005 9:39:00 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
You all should put up this sign first, or better yet put it at the California border.
www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/ejw2/Xmas%20with%20family%2019.12.03%20bis%2031.12.03/Berlin/checkpoint%20charlie%202.JPG

Ouch, that'll leave a mark.

[menacing German voice] Papers please[/menacing German voice]
Link Posted: 5/27/2005 9:39:47 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

People who are
drunk
wanted

I support all the terrible  things you listed, if the alternative is having American citizens stopped and forced to interact with law enforcement officers in the absence of any reason to believe they have broken any law. People have the fundamental right to go about their business without being stopped, poked, prodded, interrogated, inspected, or bothered in any way, unless there is reason to believe, before they are importuned, that they have broken the law. Anybody who thinks otherwise is by definition a hater of freedom.

FLAL1A, I agree.
I would not SUPPORT but I would ACCEPT sum-rifle's scare tactics if the alternative is a police state.

For you people who LIKE the idea of guilt before liberty (temporary safety): why not advocate placing check points where you'll get the highest percentage of arrests?  I.e. the statistically most efficient stop for serious offensive arrests.
Let's see how far that goes.
Link Posted: 5/27/2005 9:42:59 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So why then at the last two stops I went through they demanded the ID of my PASSENGERS as well?
Link Posted: 5/27/2005 9:45:37 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Opposing roadblocks is NOT the same as supporting criminals.  Some of us still believe in the Constitution and don't care for unnecessary searches.  

I love our Constitution and have sworn to defend and uphold it.  I am doind so every day.  
Have you?
Are you?

It is not a search unless and untill there is a violation.
If you were there and watched I think your opinion would change.
We do not delay people.
We let 75% go straight through without even asking for the license.
25% are asked for the drivers license and if they have it which most do they proceed.
If there is a lot of traffic and it looks like we are delaying people ever so slightly, we make it one of every 10 cars so we do not infringe on anyones rights.
We post signs that say "DUI drivers license checkpoint ahead" Most people have thier license ready but are not even stopped, because the law says it has to be random. Again we don't check every car not even close.
We have volunteers who count every car that goes through.
We have another person who counts every car that is directed into the check point.

I know some of you think it is wrong or a waste of resources but in fact it is a very good use of very slim resources. It is also very legal and we go abover   and beyond to NOT violate anyones rights.
Link Posted: 5/27/2005 9:48:09 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I love our Constitution and have sworn to defend and uphold it.  I am doind so every day.  
Have you?
Are you?

It is not a search unless and untill there is a violation.
If you were there and watched I think your opinion would change.
We do not delay people.
We let 75% go straight through without even asking for the license.
25% are asked for the drivers license and if they have it which most do they proceed.
If there is a lot of traffic and it looks like we are delaying people ever so slightly, we make it one of every 10 cars so we do not infringe on anyones rights.
We post signs that say "DUI drivers license checkpoint ahead" Most people have thier license ready but are not even stopped, because the law says it has to be random. Again we don't check every car not even close.
We have volunteers who count every car that goes through.
We have another person who counts every car that is directed into the check point.

I know some of you think it is wrong or a waste of resources but in fact it is a very good use of very slim resources. It is also very legal and we go abover   and beyond to NOT violate anyones rights.

ok you sound like a nice guy, although i think your wrong... lets keep this civil (i know its arfcom)

so lets say i drive through and that day the lucky number is 10... so you ask for my DL how is that not an unjust search at that point? mind you all my shit is in order, tags on straight, no cloud of weed in my car no beer cans on the dash etc.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top