Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/6/2001 2:39:58 PM EDT
I am thinking of getting a Beretta/Taurus small pistols in .22 or .32.  Anybody fired them and have opinions on them?
Link Posted: 7/6/2001 2:42:36 PM EDT
[#1]
and by that I mean Beretta 21 and Bobcat(Tomcat?)
Link Posted: 7/6/2001 2:46:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/6/2001 2:52:00 PM EDT
[#3]
My idea of a "winky-dink" is the new Kahr P7 9mm I bought for concealed carry. Great for carry when I can't or don't want to carry my 1911. 9mm is as small as I will go for carry.

I have the Beretta 21 but I think of it more as a rat gun than anything else, I have not shot it very much but it has been reliable with no problems. My wife bought it for me as an anniversary gift last year.

Link Posted: 7/6/2001 3:06:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I got a Beretta 21 in 22lr.  Blued with wood grip.  Beautiful little pistol.

For a little pistol it is very accurate and reliable.  With CCI Mini-mag solid I don't think I ever had a FTF.

I usually shoot paper with it but did take it to hunt Buffo Toads in my back yard at night several times.  Pistol worked great and I got my limit on Buffos several times.  
Link Posted: 7/6/2001 3:33:44 PM EDT
[#5]
My Beretta 21 in .22lr also suffers from reliability problems. With some brands of ammo, it is no better than a single shot. But Stingers work great in it, though their high price really defeated my purpose in getting a .22lr. The .25acp model is supposedly more reliable. My vote goes to the kel-tec P32, an outstanding little gun, so small, light, and thin it's like a toy.
Link Posted: 7/6/2001 3:59:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Id also take the Kel Tec 32 over the Berreta.NAA also is coming out with a 380 Gaurdian.As Seecamp has.Probally wont be long before Kel-Tec follows
Link Posted: 7/6/2001 4:27:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Winky Dink[?]

never mind........
Link Posted: 7/6/2001 4:47:53 PM EDT
[#8]
I have the Beretta in 22 LR. It has NOT been a reliable pistol, I would NEVER use it for defensive purposes. If you want something for your wife for a defensive gun she would be much better off with a 357 Mag revolver. You can put 38 special ammo in it if she does not like the full power 357 rounds.

I finally got mine working fairly well by cutting coils off the 2 recoil springs and also cutting coils off the hammer spring.

I still have the gun but would NEVER use is as a defensive piece.

Hope that helps....
Link Posted: 7/6/2001 5:40:24 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd say forget the Berreta.  I have heard bad things about the Tomcat, one being that it is designed to hold up for only a 1000 rounds.
If you are hell bent for a .32, I would advise getting the NAA Guardian.  Lots of accesories available for these pistols, holsters and such. I am leaning toward getting their .380, myself.

[img]http://www.pistolmikes.com/Pistols/grdcvr.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/6/2001 6:17:51 PM EDT
[#10]
IMHO, the kel-tec's has many advantages over the NAA. It weights [b]6.6oz[/b], whereas the NAA weighs 13.5 (a very important fact in ccw), it's lock breached, instead of blowback, and has a 5lb trigger pull in stead of the [b]13lb[/b]pull of the NAA. Both companies are coming out with a .380 version of each soon.
Link Posted: 7/6/2001 6:19:50 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a Taurus PT22 (.22 lr). I have been carrying it off and on for 3 years now. I have fired about 300 rounds through it and had it stove pipe on me twice but I think it was the ammo. It's reliable, easy to load & Clean. Also very easy to conceal. Overall it was worth the $139 investment.

John

Here's a pic:
[img]albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=51205&a=532526&p=11727872&Sequence=1&res=high[/img]
Link Posted: 7/6/2001 7:04:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
IMHO, the kel-tec's has many advantages over the NAA. It weights [b]6.6oz[/b], whereas the NAA weighs 13.5 (a very important fact in ccw), it's lock breached, instead of blowback, and has a 5lb trigger pull in stead of the [b]13lb[/b]pull of the NAA. Both companies are coming out with a .380 version of each soon.
View Quote

You make some good points.  The NAA .380 is out, but availability is as yet limited.  I do not like buying anything when it first comes out anyway.  The NAA .380 has a 10 lb trigger pull, which is not unreasonable and triggers can be improved.  Myself, I prefer an exposed hammer, and small pocket pistols with light triggers make me nervous, at least when it comes to carrying them.  I have been carrying my Sig 228 or my 229, about 30 oz. unloaded.  1/2 that would be a relief!  I will be looking at the Kel Tec .380, when it comes out.  It never hurts to compare.
Link Posted: 7/6/2001 7:10:06 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a Taurus PT22 that I inherited and it's accuracy amazes me. Also I have not had a malfunction, and i've put about 400 rounds through it.
Link Posted: 7/7/2001 7:50:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top