Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/6/2001 12:03:05 PM EDT
....but only in Alaska [;)]

[b]State stores keep selling handguns[/b]

The Associated Press

(Published July 6, 2001)
Handgun sales in Alaska are so profitable that while corporate headquarters of three major chains have either banned the sales of handguns or ammunition for them on a national basis, they've given their Alaska stores carte blanche to continue sales.

Kmart is the latest chain to announce it will phase out handgun ammunition sales in its stores nationwide. But sales will continue as usual in Alaska.

Fred Meyer and Wal-Mart will also continue selling both ammunition and handguns in Alaska, but not in the rest of the country.

"It's that last frontier persona," Kmart's sporting goods manager Bryan Staege said. "Alaskans love their handguns."

A week ago, Kmart officials announced the chain would withdraw handgun ammunition from its shelves nationally within the next three months. The decision came after a meeting with Michael Moore, a nationally known filmmaker and gun control advocate, and three victims of the 1999 Columbine High School shootings. The group requested during the meeting that Kmart remove ammunition from store shelves.

Nationally, Kmart stores have not sold handguns for some time.

The Fairbanks Kmart store stopped selling handguns several years ago, but got corporate approval to start selling handguns again last year, Staege said. The store now plans to add more varieties of the easy-to-carry guns and will continue to carry accessories, including ammunition, to outfit them, Staege said.

The decision to continue selling in Alaska is a matter of economics, said Kmart store director Dave Deates.

"We're making money in Alaska," he said.

Out of the company's $5 million worth of ammo sales, only $500,000 of it was profitable, he said. And all of it came from Alaska, he said.

Handguns and ammo are sold at all eight Alaska Fred Meyer stores, said Don Bennett, a Fred Meyer manager.

[url]http://www.adn.com/metro/story/0,2633,280065,00.html[/url]
Link Posted: 7/6/2001 12:58:12 PM EDT
[#1]
They are pathetic!
Link Posted: 7/6/2001 1:11:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The decision came after a meeting with Michael Moore, a nationally known filmmaker and gun control advocate...
View Quote

Pretty crappy if it is the same Michael Moore who's worked on such greats as Patton and Raiders of the Lost Ark.
Link Posted: 7/6/2001 1:19:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Fred Meyer and Wal-Mart will also continue selling both ammunition and handguns in Alaska, but not in the rest of the country.
View Quote

WTF? Am I reading this right? Meyer's and Wally world are going to stop selling also? If so when was this announced?
Link Posted: 7/6/2001 3:31:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The decision came after a meeting with Michael Moore, a nationally known filmmaker and gun control advocate...
View Quote

Pretty crappy if it is the same Michael Moore who's worked on such greats as Patton and Raiders of the Lost Ark.
View Quote

This Michael Moore is the fat guy who wears a baseball cap and is in the Rage Against the Machine videos. He is an  ASSHOL3!
Link Posted: 7/7/2001 1:28:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, I saw this on channel 2 news last night.  Haven't seen the story on CNN yet [:)]
Link Posted: 7/7/2001 11:04:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Raven
Thanks for the info!!!

I live in Anchorage ALaska. I really don't care that K-mart and Wally have decided to continue handgun/ammo sales in Alaska. I[b] will not[/b] do business with these companies! I encourage all Alaskans to do likewise. If all gunowners boycott these stores we will put alot pressure on those who came up with this policy. This will also indirectly serve notice to other corporations ,that following K-Mart's policy is not a smart move. bobb
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top