Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/23/2005 11:13:33 AM EDT
Are they good?

It’s dry here and can be dusty.
We are renovating the house and the work produces extra dust sometimes.
SHEISLEGEND has allergies and reducing dust is good.
I think most vacuums are pretty weak.
I think one of the few things worse than a shitty product is an expensive shitty product.

Any comments on the Dysons effectiveness?

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 11:15:12 AM EDT
[#1]
They are AWESOME

Pulls up pilling off the carpet that I used to have to do by hand.

Very well designed, easy to use, powerful, quiet, just plain great product
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 11:16:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Dyson threads are almost tack-worthy at this point....
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 11:19:50 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
They are AWESOME

Pulls up pilling off the carpet that I used to have to do by hand.

Very well designed, easy to use, powerful, quiet, just plain great product

Sweet.  Based on the results of my MAV purchasing fiasco I should probably just get one based on your input FFYR.
I should e-mail USMC03 and if you guys agree on this consider it decided.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 11:20:22 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Wow, have I missed a bunch before?  I guess so...
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 11:21:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Great vacuums, should last years for home use.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 11:24:17 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

LMFAO!  An endorsement from MrClean4Hire on this subject obviously carries a lot of weight.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 11:27:17 AM EDT
[#7]
I've heard they are great!! I don't own one,.......(can't afford one)....
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 11:27:59 AM EDT
[#8]
I've got one, and it does work really well, but I don't know if I'd want to really pay full price for one…

After we got married we had a lot of store credit at Bed Bath and Beyond and decided to buy our vacuum cleaner from them with it. We used a 20% off coupon on the vacuum (They weren't really supposed to let us use it on the Dyson) so we got it slightly cheaper than you could pay at other places. The thing works really well, and the best part is that you don't have to replace filters on the vacuum EVER. That's a big deal because many filters on the other high end vacuums will cost you a lot in the long run.

Overall- We like the vacuum, but the price is kind of high.

Shawn
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 11:35:44 AM EDT
[#9]
I bought a crappy Hoover when we first moved back to the states from Germany. Never heard of a Dyson then. When the Hoover died it wa the wifes turn to pick on. While the one she bought has some cool features I'm not all that impressed with its power. When it dies I'll get a Dyson. May be a while though.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 11:37:01 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

After we got married we had a lot of store credit at Bed Bath and Beyond and decided to buy our vacuum cleaner from them with it. We used a 20% off coupon on the vacuum (They weren't really supposed to let us use it on the Dyson) so we got it slightly cheaper than you could pay at other places.
Shawn

Slightly cheaper?   My 20% was = $100.   Not a bad snatch.  
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 11:38:24 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow, have I missed a bunch before?  I guess so...

There was one this weekend and a few in the past. I bought one based upon a thread earlier this year.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 11:39:43 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

LMFAO!  An endorsement from MrClean4Hire on this subject obviously carries a lot of weight.

Hehe, not my choice for heavy use, but for the average homeowner who doesn't mind replacing it after 4 years or so, I say go for it.

Most people bitch about their vacuums alot, the main thing to remember is replace the bag when it is half full and change the brushroll at 50% wear. If the vacuum doesn't work as good as the day you got it, it may just need some maintenance.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 11:40:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Without having ever looked, what do they cost?  And how about the one with the new cool ball?

Woody
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 11:41:27 AM EDT
[#14]
I want a Dyson toilet.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 11:41:29 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Without having ever looked, what do they cost?  And how about the one with the new cool ball?

Woody

Quick check says between $400 and $600 with "The Ball" at the high end.  I imagine they can be had for less but I am just getting into it.

Link Posted: 5/23/2005 11:45:12 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hehe, not my choice for heavy use, but for the average homeowner who doesn't mind replacing it after 4 years or so, I say go for it.

Most people bitch about their vacuums alot, the main thing to remember is replace the bag when it is half full and change the brushroll at 50% wear. If the vacuum doesn't work as good as the day you got it, it may just need some maintenance.

We have two HEPA vacuums right now.  SHEISLEGEND has this 50 pound 'self-propelled' monstrosity that requires being self-propelled because of the extra weight the self-propulsion adds.  I have a lighter one that is not self-propelled but takes less effort to use.
They are ok but I can't help but think we (as a species or society) can come up with something better.
I mean, we put people on the fucking moon but these vacuums just aren't that good.
I was hoping the Dyson would be the revolutionary shit that would change everything for cleaning the floors in our home.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 11:49:51 AM EDT
[#17]
This question pops up about every six months or so.

Dyson vacs are without doubt the finest vacuums on the market today.

My missus bought a "Yellow" as soon as they hit the market here in America...about 2 1/2 years ago.  We've owned just about every brand known to mankind and THIS one is far and away the best one ever.

When we get our golden retriever dog in a couple of months, we'll be upgrading with the "Purple" pet machine extra parts to take care of the hair.

That Dyson REALLY works.  Get one...you won't be sorry.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 11:52:30 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I want a Dyson toilet.

That sounds painful
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 11:58:00 AM EDT
[#19]
I bought my wife the purple "pet" Dyson.  It was worth every penny.  When you get it, vacuum your wholehouse with your old vacuum and then go over it again with the Dyson.  You'll wonder how you ever did without it!
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 12:04:13 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

That is a bold statement.

I've not tested a Dyson so i have no real opinion of them. I will say they are masters of marketing though.

I prefer 'real steel' vacums like Electrolux and use an Oly1 currently. I collect these as well and have a XXX, E, AE, G, L and 2 Oly's.

Any Electrolux ownes here who also own a Dyson? Please give a review/comparison.

http://tinypic.com/5c11ys

ETA: electrolux are also masters of marketing
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 12:05:58 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I bought my wife the purple "pet" Dyson.  It was worth every penny.  When you get it, vacuum your wholehouse with your old vacuum and then go over it again with the Dyson.  You'll wonder how you ever did without it!

Cool test.  If we get one we will try that.

Link Posted: 5/23/2005 12:07:06 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've not tested a Dyson so i have no real opinion of them. I will say they are masters of marketing though.

I prefer 'real steel' vacums like Electrolux and use an Oly1 currently. I collect these as well and have a XXX, E, AE, G, L and 2 Oly's.

Any Electrolux ownes here who also own a Dyson? Please give a review/comparison.

tinypic.com/5c11ys

ETA: electrolux are also masters of marketing

The silverado is a helluva of vacuum.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 12:12:01 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I prefer REAL vacums like Electrolux and use an Oly1 currently. I collect these as well and have a XXX, E, AE, G, L and 2 Oly's.

My parents had the Model G when I was a kid.

Comparison...the Eletrolux weighed about 20x more than an Dyson does.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 12:14:07 PM EDT
[#24]
When are they going to replace that eurofag on the TV commercials?  He's about as annoying as "It's

A Brand New Day" on those herpes-medication ads.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 12:14:57 PM EDT
[#25]
I've had one for about a year.
Great vacuum - but a little expensive.  
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 12:18:00 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

My parents had the Model G when I was a kid.

Comparison...the Eletrolux weighed about 20x more than an Dyson does.

And a real AK weighs 20x more than an airsoft.

But seriously.. yes the weight can be a probem for those with arthritis, etc.

I'm not bashing the Dyson as I've not even tried it. From the description as a lightweight, it makes me wonder about the durability and the size/power of the motor.

I'll admit, buying bags is a pain/$. A bagless quality vac would be great.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 12:21:41 PM EDT
[#27]
they suck!!!
....oh that one never gets old...
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 12:28:12 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

When are they going to replace that eurofag on the TV commercials?  He's about as annoying as "It's

A Brand New Day" on those hepes-medication commercials.

LMFAO!!

I thought he was the inventor.  He knows a lot about sucking.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 12:34:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Dyson designed the phantom.  when that company went under he basically remade it as the dyson.  I have a phantom and it works well.  I do not think it is the end all be all though.  I think a lot depends on your personallity and what fits you.  My fiance worked for a cleaning service for a while.  She dislikes heavy vacumes now.  For them, oreck's.  She just tried a new hover and was impressed with its power assist- but I bet she would hate it in 2 months of carrying up and down stairs.  Likewise my old house had lots of laminate floors, which the phantom had no business on and could not clean.

A friend swares by Rainbow - now that is a monstor vac.

Personally I like using a leaf vac - by using the chipper I don't have to clean the floor first
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 12:39:38 PM EDT
[#30]
How do they compare to the Oreck?  I have an XL2 40th Anniversary model.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 1:15:04 PM EDT
[#31]
HH6 bought one about a year ago and loves it, about all I can say is it looks cool
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 1:22:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Dyson saved my carpet....

and my dog
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 1:40:13 PM EDT
[#33]
I have an early 90's Electrolux 2100 and bought a Dyson about a year ago.  The Dyson definitely cleans better.  

The problem with the upright Dyson is that it is so chunky you cannot get it under anything.  While neat, having to pull the handle to be able to use attachments to get into tighter spaces every-so-often gets to be a pain in the butt.  

Link Posted: 5/23/2005 1:43:30 PM EDT
[#34]
They are made in England and are the standard over there. My wife is British and she had to have one as soon as they started selling them here.

Once you get used to the different controls, they work very well. No bags to change, ever.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 1:46:48 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
They are made in England and are the standard over there. My wife is British and she had to have one as soon as they started selling them here.

Once you get used to the different controls, they work very well. No bags to change, ever.

I think it's pronounced "Ev-ah."
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 2:07:29 PM EDT
[#36]
The poll is awesome.  I'm really glad I included "I have no idea" because it's leading by a long shot.

Link Posted: 5/24/2005 1:27:14 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Same deal here, the Dyson picked up TONS of dirt after the old vac.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 1:29:27 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

You COLLECT Vacuums??  
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 1:29:29 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Same deal here, the Dyson picked up TONS of dirt after the old vac.

Does the 'pet' one have the separate motorized head unit AND the ability to adapt from hard surface (laminate or tile) to rug or carpet?

If so, this is the one for us.

(I tried sifting through the site but there's a lot of redundant information, flash media and marketing stuff making it difficult to find this out for sure)
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 1:30:20 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You COLLECT Vacuums??  

LOL!  With some people it's stamps...with others it's hockey cards...
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 1:31:06 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You COLLECT Vacuums??  

I understand...........just hard to see what would crank your wank about vacuums............
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 1:33:15 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You COLLECT Vacuums??  

I understand...........just hard to see what would crank your wank about vacuums............

Same here.  I don't even get stamps or cards.  I'm sticking with backpacks and outdoor gear.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 1:37:07 PM EDT
[#43]
tagged for dr frige when he gets home since he loves to talk about HIS vacuum
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 11:43:01 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Thanks dear!!!

AWESOME VAC... when you vacuum... watch the small pieces of paper that sit 6 inches fromm the vac get sucked in... THAT is cool!
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 11:56:45 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks dear!!!

AWESOME VAC... when you vacuum... watch the small pieces of paper that sit 6 inches fromm the vac get sucked in... THAT is cool!

does it look anything like this:

Link Posted: 5/25/2005 2:04:48 AM EDT
[#46]
Our not-so-old Dyson just got home from bein repaired.  I am not impressed.  They suck well, but are not well-built.  If you're gonna get a Dyson, get one of his Spheres instead.  
Link Posted: 5/26/2005 2:11:17 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Our not-so-old Dyson just got home from bein repaired.  I am not impressed.  They suck well, but are not well-built.  If you're gonna get a Dyson, get one of his Spheres instead.  

Wow...where the hell will I put it?  And how will I get to it?
Link Posted: 5/26/2005 4:47:08 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
I want a Dyson toilet.

I'd like a Dyson wife... a model where it never loses suction... that would be dandy.
Link Posted: 5/26/2005 7:26:34 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I want a Dyson toilet.

I'd like a Dyson wife... a model where it never loses suction... that would be dandy.

Topic Hijack: Dude, your Avatar scares me.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.
Link Posted: 5/26/2005 7:47:31 PM EDT
[#50]
The ex wife has one.  Works fine but I can't stand bagless vacuums.  They always get dust everywhere when you empty them.  I'm putting my money on an ORECK.  Uses bags, very powerful, easy to use, and I like the mini vac that comes with it.  With the Dyson I had to dump it at least two to three times per house vacuuming.  With the ORECK I change the bag every fourth or fifth vacuuming.  Much more convinient.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top