Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/5/2001 8:15:02 PM EDT
are they worth it? are they worth the extra noise? im thinking about putting a armalite muzzle brake on my 16 inch bushy. its more of a cosmetic addition than it is for function. just let me know what you guys think.
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 8:20:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 8:27:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Th factory muzzle brake on my Armalite M15A2 does not make this rifle seem to shoot any louder than any other coventional flash suppressor equipped rifle.

The one on my AR-10 is a different story.  It makes stuff fall from the walls of the shooting shed.  It turns over debris on the floor and will knock targets, bullet boxes, etc. from the adjacent shooters' benches.  Your neighbors do NOT appreciate it.  I think its cool to watch from behind as a buddy shoots this rifle and watch the shock wave blast out sideways.  There is just something 'bad boy' antisocial about it that appeals to me.

If you are going for a cosmetic look, I would recommend a phoney flash suppressor such as the Wilson Compensator or Kurt's KKF brake.  They are both legal for post-bans weapons.  They give the end of your barrel that 'military' look.

HTH....Geno
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 8:39:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Firing a rounds like belted cases or a fifty.  A muzzle brake takes the wear and tear of your shoulder.  The noise factor too me is not a big factor.  It just that the guys next to you on both of the bench my not like you for a while.  At least, it cover the plain sight of a naked muzzle.
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 9:00:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I hate em.  Every one I have shot makes the shooting MUCHO louder to the shooter and bystanders.

My 7 pound rifle is not affected much at all without the brake, and I dont have a headache after 50 rounds like I used to before I removed it.

I have fired the A2 Flash hiders, and bare crowns, and they both feel the same to me, much less noise.

Link Posted: 7/5/2001 9:27:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Not less noise, just redirected. If(and I dont mean go try this)you were to stand down range a rifle with the brake would not be as loud as one with a flash hider or plain muzzle. the brake just puts otherwise wasted gases to work to control muzzle climb and/or recoil.
I have a bushy shorty with the AK brake and really like it. so far no one has complained at the range(not even dirty looks).
After all these are high powered rifles we are talking about, they go boom, and make alot of noise(brake,flash hider or plain muzzle)makes no diff. to me.
get what you like and have fun shooting it !!!
[x]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top