Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/19/2005 4:11:14 AM EDT
She's an immigrant who got rich in America, but thinks we suck.  Go to the Pepsi website to see her letter about her commencement speech at Columbia University.
http://www.pepsico.com/

She's backtracking now, but her contempt for Americans is obvious.  Nothing but coke for me from now on.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 4:14:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Pepsi tastes like shit anyways
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 4:15:46 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

+1

Coca-Cola is the king!
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 4:16:32 AM EDT
[#3]
People actually drink Pepsi??

I mean, like, ON PURPOSE???

Link Posted: 5/19/2005 4:19:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 4:19:54 AM EDT
[#5]
"Uh, I aint drinking pepsi no more because of what some guy on ar15.com told me..so there"

Is there any other info?
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 4:20:52 AM EDT
[#6]
i couldn't find the article, can you copy and paste it??
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 4:20:59 AM EDT
[#7]
The whole bloody company is run by woman.  Got a chance to really fuck them in court over some property they owned and wanted to develop next my lot.  It was a real pleasure.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 4:21:17 AM EDT
[#8]
If you have no idea what this thread is talking about, read this

powerlineblog.com/archives/010478.php
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 4:22:21 AM EDT
[#9]
FOAD  Indra K. Nooyi
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 4:24:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Dr Pepper for me but mostly iced tea is my number 1.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 4:27:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Stupid bitch
She says that in a speech, and is clueless as to why there's a backlash.

Link Posted: 5/19/2005 4:28:13 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
She's an immigrant who got rich in America, but thinks we suck.  Go to the Pepsi website to see her letter about her commencement speech at Columbia University.
http://www.pepsico.com/

She's backtracking now, but her contempt for Americans is obvious.  Nothing but coke for me from now on.

Did you actually READ her remarks? She was right on the mark .
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 4:32:16 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
www.pepsico.com/msgfromindra.shtml

Actual speech here...

www.pepsico.com/Speech-ColumbiaBusinessSchool.pdf

That was a really disingenuous apology.  "The middle finger is the one that anchors the hand, just as America anchors the world"

A first-hand (heh) report of the speech noted

Finally, the US (not Canada mind you) - yes, you guessed it - the middle finger. She then launched into a diatribe about how the US is seen as the middle finger to the rest of the world. The rest of the world sees us as an overbearing, insensitive and disrespectful nation that gives the middle finger to the rest of the world. According to Ms. Nooyi, we cause the other finger nations to cower under our presence. But it is our responsibility, she continues, to change the current state of world opinion of the US. It is our responsibility to make the other fingers rise in unison with us as we move forward. She then goes on to give a personal anecdote about some disrespectful US business women in an Asian country and how that is typical of Americans overseas. No talk of what the US has done for the world throughout its history. No discussion about the ills that have been cured and the rights that have been wronged by the US. Just how wrong we are for the way we are perceived and how right they are in their own perceptions of the United States.

Link Posted: 5/19/2005 4:35:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Anybody bother to read the speech without first taking the attitude that "arfcom says it's unpatriotic, so do I"? I dont see much of anything in there that says "F*** the US." I do see an admonition to future American Businessmen to be careful of how their actions represent their country. Yeah...so she used the middle finger analogy...but is it not true that the middle finger can mean different things depending on how its used? Thats what she said, isnt it?
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 4:36:17 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
She then launched into a diatribe about how the US is seen as the middle finger to the rest of the world. The rest of the world sees us as an overbearing, insensitive and disrespectful nation that gives the middle finger to the rest of the world.

I'd be proud to show her my middle finger, as a sign of disrespect to her.....

Link Posted: 5/19/2005 4:37:30 AM EDT
[#16]
She posted her own remarks, which I am sure were cleaned up, here are the important parts:

Clearly, the point of my story is more important that geographical accuracy!
First, let’s consider our little finger. Think of this finger as Africa. Africa is the little finger not because
of Africa’s size, but because of its place on the world’s stage. From an economic standpoint, Africa
has yet to catch up with her sister continents. And yet, when our little finger hurts, it affects the whole
hand.
Our thumb is Asia: strong, powerful, and ready to assert herself as a major player on the world’s
economic stage.
Our index, or pointer finger, is Europe. Europe is the cradle of democracy and pointed the way for
western civilization and the laws we use in conducting global business.
The ring finger is South America, including Latin America. Is this appropriate, or what? The ring finger
symbolizes love and commitment to another person. Both Latin and South America are hot,
passionate, and filled with the sensuous beats of the mambo, samba, and tango: three dances that – if
done right – can almost guarantee you and your partner will be buying furniture together.
This analogy of the five fingers as the five major continents leaves the long, middle finger for North
America, and, in particular, The United States. As the longest of the fingers, it really stands out. The
middle finger anchors every function that the hand performs and is the key to all of the fingers working
together efficiently and effectively. This is a really good thing, and has given the U.S. a leg-up in
global business since the end of World War I.
However, if used inappropriately –just like the U.S. itself -- the middle finger can convey a negative
message and get us in trouble. You know what I’m talking about. In fact, I suspect you’re hoping that
I’ll demonstrate what I mean. And trust me, I’m not looking for volunteers to model.
Discretion being the better part of valor … I think I’ll pass.
What is most crucial to my analogy of the five fingers as the five major continents, is that each of us in
the U.S. – the long middle finger – must be careful that when we extend our arm in either a business
or political sense, we take pains to assure we are giving a hand … not the finger. Sometimes this is
very difficult. Because the U.S. – the middle finger – sticks out so much, we can send the wrong
message unintentionally.
Unfortunately, I think this is how the rest of the world looks at the U.S. right now. Not as part of the
hand – giving strength and purpose to the rest of the fingers – but, instead, scratching our nose and
sending a far different signal.
I’d challenge each of you to think about how critically important it is for every finger on your hand to
rise and bend together. You cannot simply “allow” the other four fingers to rise only when you want
them to. If you’ve ever even tried to do that, you know how clumsy and uncoordinated it is.
My point here is that it’s not enough just to understand that the other fingers co-exist. We’ve got to
consciously and actively ensure that every one of them stands tall together, or that they bend together
when needed.
Today, as each of you ends one chapter in your young lives and begins another, I want you to
consider how you will conduct your business careers so that the other continents see you extending a
hand … not the finger. Graduates … it’s not that hard. You can change and shape the attitudes and
opinions of the other fingers – the other continents and their peoples – by simply ascribing positive
intent to all your international business transactions. If you fail, or if you are careless, here’s a perfect
example of what can happen:
A U.S. businesswoman was recently in Beijing, China, on an international training assignment for a
luxury hotel chain. The chain was rebranding an older Beijing hotel. As such, the toilets in the hotel
had yet to be upgraded. There were no porcelain commodes, just holes in the floor. Until recently,
this was the standard procedure in China.
Now, eight-thousand-miles removed from the scene, you and I – and most Americans – can shake our
heads and giggle at the physical contortions and delicate motor skills necessary to make the best of
this situation. We’re simply not used to it. But to loudly and insultingly verbalize these feelings on site
– in front of the employees and guests of the host country is bush league. And, yet, that’s exactly
what this woman observed.
In the hotel’s bar, the woman overheard a group of five American businessmen loudly making fun of
the hotel’s lavatory facilities. As the drinks flowed, the crass and vulgar comments grew louder, and
actually took on an angry, jingoistic tone. While these Americans couldn’t speak a word of Chinese,
their Chinese hosts spoke English very well … and understood every word the men were saying.
And we wonder why the world views many Americans as boorish and culturally insensitive. This
incident should make it abundantly clear. These men were not giving China a hand. They were giving
China the finger. This finger was red, white and blue and had “the United States” stamped all over it.
Graduates, it pains me greatly that this view of America persists. Although I’m a daughter of India, I’m
an American businesswoman. My family and I are citizens of this great country.

Link Posted: 5/19/2005 4:39:38 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Anybody bother to read the speech without first taking the attitude that "arfcom says it's unpatriotic, so do I"? I dont see much of anything in there that says "F*** the US." I do see an admonition to future American Businessmen to be careful of how their actions represent their country. Yeah...so she used the middle finger analogy...but is it not true that the middle finger can mean different things depending on how its used? Thats what she said, isnt it?

No, the middle finger pretty much means "F you" And that's it.

And she said America CAUSES other nations to fling the bird at us.

She also said its our duty to change other nations opinions of us.

How? BY thanking them for flying planes into our buildings?? By NOT  stopping tyrants like Hitler, and Stalin?

Geez, newb. Reading is FUNdamental. So is thinking.

Link Posted: 5/19/2005 4:43:58 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
No, the middle finger pretty much means "F you" And that's it.

In this country. She explained why she assigned that finger to the US. People need to stop reading into this

And she said America CAUSES other nations to fling the bird at us.

Often we do. She gave one example.

She also said its our duty to change other nations opinions of us.

It is.

How? BY thanking them for flying planes into our buildings?? By NOT  stopping tyrants like Hitler, and Stalin?

Maybe by relaizing that just because we do things one way, that doesn't give us the right to belittle other ways of doing things? More Americans need to travel abroad and open their minds to other cultures, for one thing.

Geez, newb. Reading is FUNdamental. So is thinking.

Please practice your own advice
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 4:47:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Not much of a businessman, are ya G-man? Image is everything...whether it be international trade, or within a nation...which is why, incidentally, the president of pepsi (a business) is now trying to salvage the results of misinterpretation of her speech. We're not the sweethearts of the world community right now...no doubt. That doesnt mean we have to take a righteous attitude and say we can project any image we want...and then expect the other nations (even the ones who didnt fly planes into our bldgs) to view us with mutual respect. Hence her example of the businesspeople in Beijing.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 4:48:41 AM EDT
[#20]
I read the whole speech and her BOLD FACE lie of an explanation. Fuck her.
I dont drink that crap anyways but I do did buy Gatoraide for my field crews in the summer ($1000 worth) , I guess this summer it will be PowerAide.

Quote Ms. Nooyi’s remarks from Columbia University:
Remember that the middle finger – The United States – always stands out.

No more pepsi or related company products at my house..

ETA : e-mail sent to [email protected] ..
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 4:50:53 AM EDT
[#21]
much ado about nothing

move along
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 4:51:50 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Coca-Cola is the king!

Never drank Pepsi except for the 'Taste Test' for some members who will remember that....
Just confirmed my suspicion that it tasted like shit.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 4:53:07 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Not much of a businessman, are ya G-man? Image is everything...whether it be international trade, or within a nation...which is why, incidentally, the president of pepsi (a business) is now trying to salvage the results of misinterpretation of her speech. We're not the sweethearts of the world community right now...no doubt. That doesnt mean we have to take a righteous attitude and say we can project any image we want...and then expect the other nations (even the ones who didnt fly planes into our bldgs) to view us with mutual respect. Hence her example of the businesspeople in Beijing.

All we've ever asked of other nations is a place to bury our dead after freeing them from the dictator du jour who was raping their country.

If sending our young men to die for them  isn't a sufficient sign of respect, then I'm guessing the problem is THEIRS - not ours.

Mutual respect ?    MUTUAL RESPECT???

Its about #^$%  time they show US some respect.

Link Posted: 5/19/2005 4:57:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Vote with your wallet!

Frito-Lay Brands

Lay's potato chips
Lays Kettle Cooked potato chips
Wavy Lay's potato chips
Baked Lay's potato crisps
Maui Style potato chips
Ruffles potato chips
Baked Ruffles potato crisps
Ruffles Flavor Rush potato chips
Doritos tortilla chips
Baked Doritos tortilla chips
3D's snacks
Tostitos tortilla chips
Baked Tostitos tortilla chips
Santitas tortilla chips
Fritos corn chips
Cheetos cheese flavored snacks
Rold Gold pretzels & snack mix
Funyuns onion flavored rings
Go Snacks
Sunchips multigrain snacks
Sabritones puffed wheat snacks
Cracker Jack candy coated popcorn
Chester's popcorn
Grandma's cookies Munchos potato crisps
Smartfood popcorn
Baken-ets fried pork skins
Oberto meat snacks
Rustler's meat snacks
Churrumais fried corn strips
Frito-Lay nuts
Frito-Lay, Ruffles, Fritos and Tostitos dips & salsas
Frito-Lay, Doritos and Cheetos snack crackers
Fritos, Tostitos, Ruffles and Doritos snack kits
Hickory Sticks
Hostess Potato
Lay's Stax potato crisps
Doritos Rollitos
Lay's Fries
Natural Lays
Natural Ruffles
Natural Cheetos
Natural Tostitos
Miss Vickie's potato chips
Munchies snack mix

Pepsi-Cola Brands

Pepsi-Cola
Caffeine Free Pepsi
Diet Pepsi
Caffeine Free Diet Pepsi
Pepsi Twist (regular & diet)
Wild Cherry Pepsi
Pepsi Blue
Pepsi ONE
Pepsi Vanilla
Diet Mountain Dew
Mountain Dew Code Red
Diet Mountain Dew Code Red
Mountain Dew LiveWire
Mountain Dew Blueshock
Mountain Dew AMP energy drink
 Mug
Sierra Mist (Regular & Diet)
Slice
Lipton Brisk (Partnership)
Lipton Iced Tea(Partnership) remember the Dixie Chicks!
Dole juices and juice drinks (License)
FruitWorks juice drinks
Aquafina purified drinking water
Frappuccino ready-to-drink coffee (Partnership)
Starbucks DoubleShot (Partnership)
SoBe juice drinks, dairy, and teas
SoBe energy drinks (No Fear and Adrenaline Rush)

Gatorade Brands (Use Powerade instead)

Gatorade Thirst Quencher
Gatorade Frost Thirst Quencher   Gatorade Fierce Thirst Quencher
Gatorade Ice Thirst Quencher   Propel Fitness Water
Gatorade Xtremo Thirst Quencher
Gatorade X-Factor Thirst Quencher

Tropicana Brands

Tropicana Pure Premium juices
Tropicana Twister juice drinks  
Tropicana Smoothies
 Tropicana Pure Tropics juices
Dole juices (License)
Tropicana 100 juices

Read the aplogies in the Times of India

Plenty of photoshop fodder, have at it!

Link Posted: 5/19/2005 4:57:58 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

It still makes her a traitor in my book. Talking shit about the US just to placate foreign consumers.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 4:59:27 AM EDT
[#26]
Everyone should send this to Drudge.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:00:42 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

All we've ever asked of other nations is a place to bury our dead after freeing them from the dictator du jour who was raping their country.

If sending our young men to die for them  isn't a sufficient sign of respect, then I'm guessing the problem is THEIRS - not ours.

Mutual respect ?    MUTUAL RESPECT???

Its about #^$%  time they show US some respect.

We didn't make those efforts alone. Lots of other countries lost lots of people fighting in those and other conflicts, and it doesn't make us automatically right in our current dealings with these countries today. Americans without a  doubt need to learn some cultural sensitivity when dealing with cultures and societal values  not our own.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:00:57 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It still makes her a traitor in my book. Talking shit about the US just to placate foreign consumers.

Treason is so hip and vogue these days, even with many Arfcom posters. They are the "enlightened" and "progressive" ones, and we America firsters the prehistoric creatures with the enlarged foreheads.

Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:05:30 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

We didn't make those efforts alone. Lots of other countries lost lots of people fighting in those and other conflicts, and it doesn't make us automatically right in our current dealings with these countries today. Americans without a  doubt need to learn some cultural sensitivity when dealing with cultures and societal values  not our own.

"THere is no greater love than this - that a man would lay down his life for his friend."  America has gone FAR above and beyond "cultural sensitivity" WE'VE GIVEN OUR LIVES.

And if you think the liberation of Europe from Hitler or the liberation of Iraq from Saddam (or ANY other of the recent liberations from the dictator du jour) would have happenned without the US, then yer hopeless.

The people who hate us are the ONES WE KICKED IN THE NUTS. And you are siding with them in your twisted logic. Don't your "get" that??? Its WHY they hate us, genius.

I don't care to befriend the people who want us dead. They will NEVER like us.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:12:44 AM EDT
[#30]
Nothing like using somebody else's milestone event as a stage to push your own BS agenda.  What a tird.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:15:29 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

The people who hate us are the ONES WE KICKED IN THE NUTS. And you are siding with them in your twisted logic. Don't your "get" that??? Its WHY they hate us, genius.

People hate us because we are the dominant world power. People have always lashed out at dominant world powers. It is nothing unique to us as a country.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:18:30 AM EDT
[#32]
I poo on pepsi.  I actually like Sierra Mist over Sprite though.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:19:43 AM EDT
[#33]
that's about the stupidest "speech" I've ever heard...an 8th grade class president could probably write a better one.  To call it unpatriotic, though is pretty silly, imho.  
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:22:07 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
People hate us because we are the dominant world power. People have always lashed out at dominant world powers. It is nothing unique to us as a country.

Correct.

And the ONLY way to make those scum stop hating us is to intentionally lower ourselves and make ourselves vulnerable.

I have NO INTENTION of doing that just so they will like us.

Screw them.

Unfortunately for ALOT of other good people throughout the world, the good people don't clean up their own messes, and the people who hate us because we're a good and just and kind and benevolent and yes powerful nation get in power again and then more American boys gotta go die for them.

And once again all we ask is a place to bury our dead.

So screw other nations who don't like us. If there is any debt of showing respect, its in what is OWED us.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:24:21 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

That doesn't make it right.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:24:57 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Correct.

And the ONLY way to make those scum stop hating us is to intentionally lower ourselves and make ourselves vulnerable.

I have NO INTENTION of doing that just so they will like us.

Respecting other cultures does not make the US vulnerable

So screw other nations who don't like us. If there is any debt of showing respect, its in what is OWED us.

Just out of curiosity, when do you consider that debt paid so the rest of the world can stop being beat over the head with that?
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:29:55 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Just out of curiosity, when do you consider that debt paid so the rest of the world can stop being beat over the head with that?

Well, since were dying for them RIGHT NOW, I'd say "not yet."

Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:30:14 AM EDT
[#38]
Someone needs to bitch slap that woman back to India.  How in the fuck did she ever get to be boss hog at Pepsi?  To hell with Pepsi!  Long live Coca Cola!
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:31:42 AM EDT
[#39]
Fuck that bitch. I don't drink that shit anyway, so she can kiss my AMERICAN browneye!
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:32:26 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well seeing as most countries like France or Germany would never do anything violent to us a la 9/11, I feel safe saying most ARFCOMers believe arabs to be our greatest danger.  I think they hate us mostly because we station troops in their holy lands.  
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:32:58 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:37:08 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Well, since were dying for them RIGHT NOW, I'd say "not yet."

I have a certain amount of cynicism that our people there now are dying less for the admirable purpose of bringing freedom to an oppressed people  like the WW2 guys did and more  that our purpose there is simply to further the national interests of the United States.I support our Soldiers  while they are in harms way, but I do not believe that our national purpose there is every bit  the noble  freedom-loving cause  our leadership says its about.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:38:18 AM EDT
[#43]
I never drink Pepsi.  Coke is the best!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:42:05 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Actually excellent analogy however I disagree with the whole hand concept and feel we should give the whole world the finger!

Dude the 'hand concept' was the analogy!!! While the body of her speech may have had some merit, her use of the 'hand' analogy was very telling as to her true sentiments of the U.S.....

Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:42:17 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I have a certain amount of cynicism that our people there now are dying less for the admirable purpose of bringing freedom to an oppressed people  like the WW2 guys did and more  that our purpose there is simply to further the national interests of the United States.I support our Soldiers  while they are in harms way, but I do not believe that our national purpose there is every bit  the noble  freedom-loving cause  our leadership says its about.

Yeah, shame on us for advancing national interests like "Keepin them from flying planes into our buildings."  How selfish and nefarious of us.

You are SOO transparent.

You distrust Bush BECAUSE he takes moral stands on issues of moral values. I know your type. Conspiracy theorist extroadinaire - like  we're after the oil or some such silliness.

But your distrust is based on a moral dislike of Bush's stances.

You are SOOO obvious.  

Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:47:12 AM EDT
[#46]
It is obvious to me what she was saying and it was clearly disrespectful to the US.

Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:47:54 AM EDT
[#47]
The first priority in business is to make your customers feel comfortable and unintimidated.  This, not political concern, is the basis for her speech, or it should have been.

In terms of national foreign policy:
Nations and societies are always trying to gain an advantage over one another.  It's the nature of man to want to be on top.  Hence the purpose for our own Second Amendment is to protect us from overbearing, tyrannical types.  As RWR said, "We will negotiate from a position of strength."

In terms of individual relations:
As an American who periodically travels outside the country on business, I will say that respecting the local customs goes a very long way in making a relationship productive.  Simple things like knowing some of the language will quickly gain you pride points with people and they'll be ready to work with you.  Nobody likes an asshole.

It's important to note these two distinctions.  Large groups of people behave nothing like individuals.

Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:49:44 AM EDT
[#48]
Oh, and Guinness beats Pepsi every time.  
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:51:34 AM EDT
[#49]
I sent the link for the speech to a coworker who can't bend the middle finger on his left hand due to smashing the joint a while back.

I told him to look at his finger as a patriotic statement.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 6:10:37 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
[Yeah, shame on us for advancing national interests like "Keepin them from flying planes into our buildings."  How selfish and nefarious of us.

Was Iraq flying airplanes into our buildings? No? Next question.

You distrust Bush BECAUSE he takes moral stands on issues of moral values. I know your type. Conspiracy theorist extroadinaire - like  we're after the oil or some such silliness.

I distrust Bush because he caters to the religious right, who I don't trust.
I have no doubt that we ARE there ultimately for the oil, to establish and keep a base of operations in the area that is friendly to us , etc.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top