Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/5/2001 10:43:44 AM EDT
What's with all the smoking by charachters in movies/tv?  It seems in every new movie they are always smoking; sometimes there are even "lines" about smoking, starting again(when nervous)?  I just saw "Proof of life", everyone smoked.  And it seemed more than just , oh, this person smokes; the movie made a big deal about it.  I know people who smoke, and they don't sit around talking about it all the time.  Most, wish they could quit, some are even embarassed about the habit.  The movie seemed to concentrate on it more than was normal.

I'm curious if the Tobacco companies have gone to Hollywood to sell their products since their advertising has been cut off.  I wish they would just let them advertise the way they used to, if this is the case.  I think it glamorizes it too much in the movies.  I don't want my kids seeing that kind of thing.  My grandfather died of lung cancer from smoking.  I sure don't want to see my kids start.

Sorry about the rant, but it just seemed so out of place in the movie.  If Tobacco is paying for their spots in movies, it just goes to show that those who try to use the legal system to put the Tobacco companies out of buisness, probably have made it worse!  
guns762
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 10:48:56 AM EDT
[#1]
YOu have just stumbled across yet another Hollywood hypocracy.

They smoke, and they make movies that show smoking is cool.  Then they all pitch in money behind the dems that are trying to portray smokers as child killers.

They make movies that glorify guns and make kids want them, and create this great mystique of the gun.  But then none of us lowly plebes should allowed the own them.

I've given up on trying to apply logic and reason to Hollywood, the two go together like oil and water!
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 10:57:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Hey, a Sharon Stone movie would not be complete if she didn't masturbate and smoke.  I look forward to it!
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 11:08:03 AM EDT
[#3]
O.K. I know Hollywood is a hypocritical bunch of A-holes, and I can see them doing just what Matt S says, but does anyone think Tobacco is paying for it?????  It seemed like it didn't fit the script, or the script was written to include them on purpose.  I sound like a conspiracy nut, but I think Hollywood is getting money from them, talk about strange bedfellows!
guns762
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 11:40:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 12:25:05 PM EDT
[#5]
If you are trying to give up smoking, do not watch "Scandal". Actually I do think many movies encourage smoking. They also use it to portray bad guys.
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 12:42:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 9:39:41 PM EDT
[#7]
They should stop showing people smoking. And while they are at it they should stop showing people consuming alcoholic beverages, using guns and profanity, breaking laws and committing traffic violations. You know...for the children.
For Christ sake take some responsibility as a parent. If your kids are so easily influenced then keep them away from the television and starting parenting them.
It sounds like a bunch of damn pillow biting liberals in here wanting someone to censor everything from all of society because they don't want to do a little parenting.
Link Posted: 7/6/2001 8:00:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Back when we were dating, my wife and I went to see Oliver Stone's "JFK".  She smokes, I don't.  There was so much smoking going on onscreen that she just about had a nicotine fit.
Link Posted: 7/6/2001 8:35:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
They should stop showing people smoking. And while they are at it they should stop showing people consuming alcoholic beverages, using guns and profanity, breaking laws and committing traffic violations. You know...for the children.
For Christ sake take some responsibility as a parent. If your kids are so easily influenced then keep them away from the television and starting parenting them.
It sounds like a bunch of damn pillow biting liberals in here wanting someone to censor everything from all of society because they don't want to do a little parenting.
View Quote

Hey gunslinger,  CHILL!!!
I think if you go back and reread my first post you will see that I don't want to ban anything.  After rereading everyone's posts, I don't know where you came up with anyone wanting to ban anything.  We were just pointing out the hypocritical ways of Hollywood.  

I just asked if Tobacco was paying for their spots in movies.  I also pointed out that since I don't remember that many movies in the 80's having constant smoking by the actors, this during the era of the "Cool Camel" or what ever his name is, that censoring probably caused the recent return to smoking in movies and tv.  I graduated in the 80's and NO one smoked except a few losers.  I teach at a High school now, and I will bet that at least half of all students smoke.  I know because they frick'en stink!Exactly what the people who want the Tobacco companies put out of business, don't want.  

I don't support the lawsuits against Tobacco companies. I feel they should be able to market their product anyway they like.  I feel that its my job as a parent to point out how bad smoking is to my boys.  BTW, I started talking to them about what happened to their Great Grandfather, and smoking when they were old enough to ask me what people had in their mouths that had smoke.
guns762
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top