Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/2/2005 11:38:19 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/2/2005 11:39:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Heavy Metal is awesome but might not fit into the category you're describing.
Link Posted: 5/2/2005 11:39:50 AM EDT
[#2]
I kinda liked Finding Nemo and the Shrek movies.
Did not think I would have, I used to have the same opinion that you voiced, but when I saw those films I ended up liking them ok.
They at least have some humor that is aimed at adults.
Link Posted: 5/2/2005 11:40:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Sometimes they are good, but all American ones I've seen since I was six have sucked, at least that I can recall.
Link Posted: 5/2/2005 11:42:11 AM EDT
[#4]
some of those movies are pretty funny.  I've yet to see a pixar movie that didnt make me crack up.
Link Posted: 5/2/2005 11:42:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Broaden your horizons beyond Disney's garbage.  Princess Mononoke is in my top five favorite movies of all time.  Suitable for ages 12+, I'd say.
Link Posted: 5/2/2005 11:42:58 AM EDT
[#6]
I laughed my ass of at Shrek and Shrek 2.  Enough to buy them both on DVD...without having any kids.

So, yes...I really like them.  I also happen to own a few Anime movies/series.

Just because something is drawn instead of live acted doesn't mean it's not ok for adults to watch and enjoy.

EDIT: My anime movie wonder list...in no particular order.

Ghost in the Shell
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
Princess Monoko
Gundress
Jin-Rohn: The Wolf Brigade
Cowboy Bebop (movie)
Millenium Actress
Yukikaze - Danger Zone
Macross Plus (movie or oav)
Spirited Away
Grave of the Fireflies
Royal Space Force - Wings of Honneamise
Perfect Blue
Akira
Metropolis

Basicly just about anything by Hayao Miyazaki is going to kick ass.
Link Posted: 5/2/2005 11:46:56 AM EDT
[#7]
It's comparing apples to oranges, IMO.  I'm not sure I would choose to see them in the theater, but I love the animated movies.  There's tons of adult humor in them.

Ice Age (Ray Romano and John Leguizano) is an awesome movie.  I watch it at home at least once a month.  Shrek and Shrek 2 were both amazing, although I liked the first one better.

Don't dis 'em if you haven't seen them.  And don't discredit the "voiceovers". It's alot of work.

Link Posted: 5/2/2005 11:53:40 AM EDT
[#8]
America, fuck ya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/2/2005 11:53:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Anyone who likes anime owes it to themselves to see Ninja Scroll.
Link Posted: 5/2/2005 11:53:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Yeah you need to see more than the Disney pap, there Coz.   Unless you just don't like animation.

Mauser101's got the right idea. Get out of the American animation and into Anime. Much of it is NOT for kids. Just because it's animated doesn't mean it's for all ages.

BTW Wings of Honneamise is one of my top movies of all time animated or live action. Mind you my list is about 400 long, but it's on the list.

I might suggest setting the VCR for midnight on Saturdays on Cartoon Network - the Ghost in the Shell: Stand alone complex series is being broadcast now and it is very good.

Also Appleseed is coming out on 5/10/05. I can't wait.
Link Posted: 5/2/2005 11:58:16 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I believe that Disney and the other animation studios have hoodwinkied the American adult population into believing that animated films are worthy of us as moviegoers, vs. just taking our children to see the movie and being bored shitless.

I prefer movies that film live persons and will not spend my $ on the others.

Opinions?

two thoughts.

1.  modern animated features have indeed become more formulaic, and the bar has been lowered.  witness the dreamworks "atlantis" movie.  or better yet, don't.

2.  if you are bored shitless by the following movies, you have no soul.

bambi
watership down
the lion, the witch, and the wardrobe.
an american tail
sleeping beauty
beauty and the beast
the little mermaid
snoopy come home
fantasia

[ETA:  +1 on ghost in the shell, cowboy bebop, and ninja scroll]
Link Posted: 5/2/2005 12:07:29 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I like anime, and I didn't care at all for Ninja Scroll.  Just didn't appeal to me at all.  Not sure why.  Maybe I wasn't in the right mood for it, but I have no desire to see it again.
Link Posted: 5/2/2005 12:14:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Yes I like anime.

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 5/2/2005 12:16:08 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I have not seen "Toy Story" nor "Shrek" nor do I plan to.

?? Both are great movies - why would you not want to see them?

I prefer movies that film live persons and will not spend my $ on the others.

Opinions?

Whatever floats your boat - it just means the lines are shorter for me!
Link Posted: 5/2/2005 12:16:14 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I like anime, and I didn't care at all for Ninja Scroll.  Just didn't appeal to me at all.  Not sure why.  Maybe I wasn't in the right mood for it, but I have no desire to see it again.

+1

I bought it on recommendation but really didn't care for it much. I feel there are a lot of better anime movies out there.
Link Posted: 5/2/2005 12:16:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Animation is a medium, not a genre. You can make any type of movie within the animation medium. "Sin City", while not animated, owes a heavy debt to graphic novels and animation.

Most of the recent Disney movies have been pap. Pixar hasn't made a bad movie yet.
Link Posted: 5/2/2005 12:22:06 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
"Sin City", while not animated, owes a heavy debt to graphic novels and animation.

this is a safe statement, as it was almost a shot-for-shot motion picture version of miller's comic book.  the actual books were used as production storyboards, hence miller's co-director credit.

that being said, your medium/genre statement is dead on.
Link Posted: 5/2/2005 12:34:19 PM EDT
[#18]
It's at lot easier to be "stubborn" about something you know nothing about than something you can talk too.  The embarassment from saying "I didn't see it" than having to answer the question what didn't you like and then going duh ooh well the uuhh I thought the uhh weell.

Shrek and Shrek 2 were both pretty good and a lot of adult references.  Who Shot Roger Rabbit , was really great.    Some of the animated sequences in Beauty and the Beast where they really stretched the boundaries of computer animation were awesome compared to earlier movies.  Monster, Inc was athrowback to the old Waraners where there was a lot of adult in there hidden.  You do need to see the "out-takes" on the DVD.  

If you have or had kids in the right age groups you likely saw some turkeys too.  

Frankly I've gotten a lot more entertainment  from most of the animated movies than I have live action lately.  I go to be entertained, and I rent or buy to be entertained.
Link Posted: 5/2/2005 12:51:11 PM EDT
[#19]

Dont forget Final Fantasy. While the story was not the best. I forgot I was watching animated people a few times because they looked so realistic.

I see animated actors replacing real actors in the future.
Link Posted: 5/2/2005 1:03:10 PM EDT
[#20]
captain scarlet is made very similiar to the movie "Team America" by the use of supermarionation [puppets]

Link Posted: 5/2/2005 1:52:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/2/2005 2:02:14 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Sucked. Sucked alot.

Of course, I freaking HATE samurai anime.

"Look a demon! I shall kill it with my
magic sword."

Bah.

(ok, well, I haven't seen Samurai Champloo
yet, so it might be an exception).
Link Posted: 5/2/2005 2:14:12 PM EDT
[#23]
I enjoy Disney/ Pixar, Dreamworks films.  Toy Story 1 &2, A Bugs Life,  Monsters Inc,  Iceage, The Incredibles.  There's alot more imagination and origanality being put into these films than the ones using live actors.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top