Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/2/2001 5:46:46 PM EDT
i have to go get a crown on a tooth that has a monster filling in it.  i have been having the worse sense of anxiety over this for the past three weeks or so.  i'm trying to find ways to overcome this anxiety.  anyone with any tips?  i'm going to take a walk man and listen to some buffet, but other then that not much else i can think of.  

i was going to goto the range and shoot some clays afterwards (sort of something top look forward to) but the stupid range is closed.  so much for that idea.  i'm worried i won't geta wink of sleep tonight.  anyone else have this problem?  what do yall do?  sloth
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 6:05:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Me too! And my wife is a Dental Hygenist!

But the worst thing to do is put it off. Just go and get it over with.

For some reason I have a very low tolerence to pain in my mouth. I have broken seven bones, got about 250 stiches in my life and that was no problem. But fill a cavity, look out!! They have to give me an extaorinary amount of novacain.

Do you get anxiety because of the pain or just the overall feeling of someone playing around in your mouth? They can give you a medication while your in the waiting room to calm you down and make you relaxed. Don't be embarrased to tell the Dentist about your anxiety. Good luck.

Link Posted: 7/2/2001 6:05:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Hell, yes!  My dentist gives me nitrous, puts whatever I bring into the tape player and gives me headphones, about 47 shots of novacaine and makes sure I've left my pistol and backup in my vehicle (he's been my dentist since I was a rookie patrol officer!)
I usually leave his office after a trying procedure and stop at a nearby indoor range and shoot a little and BS a lot.  Dosen't help on the front end but does help get over it.
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 6:19:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 6:26:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 6:26:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 6:27:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I have more anxiety over the bill. I have needed to have a crown replaced for three years, but I know they will find plenty more things to bill me for, and when I am flat on my back with a drill in my mouth, I agree to anything.
[:E]
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 6:31:11 PM EDT
[#7]
I had to remind my dentist that I needed a root canal. Then he wanted me to let him use novacaine. Nope no novacaine, just drill and scrape.
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 6:33:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 7:36:05 PM EDT
[#9]
I do not have the dental problem but I am scared to death of the eye doctor.  I have an appointment in a couple of days and feel like hiding under my bed.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 7:47:03 PM EDT
[#10]
It usally dont have a problem with it.

One time I fell asleep during a root canal. The dentit kept getting pissed off cause I was dozing off. He put one of those rubber blocks in my mouth to hold it open, After that I just fell asleep.[:O]

BTW

Forgot to mention this was during Basic training
and I was extreamly tired from lack of sleep and the stress.
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 8:06:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Honestly, the [u]only[/u] fear I have about going to the Dentist, is that the Dentist and the Hygenist may give me something to knock me out!  I'm just afraid if they knock me out, then they will go and have fun with my body by moving my jaws up and down like a puppet and say funny words.   [u]Or[/u] they may even have more fun by pulling my pants down and playing with my privates!  Oh, no!  [:O]

[b]-RoadDog[/b][img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/Gif/scooby1.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 8:13:15 PM EDT
[#12]
The dentist isn't too bad, but the hygenist from hell...

Brush, floss daily, and the hygenist is always painful digging in the gums.  Then there's that very long line pointy metal tool, at the end, used to add an extra amount of misery.
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 1:27:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 2:15:59 AM EDT
[#14]
It has been said that the dentists drill humbles the mightiest of men.
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 4:59:23 AM EDT
[#15]
well i feel much better knowing that i'm not alone.  it used to be the needle.  the actual dental work didn't bother me too much.  but one time i had a filling done and towards the end i felt some discomfort, not really pain just distinctdiscomfort.  ever since then the needle doesn't bother me too much its that sound and the smell of ground teeth.  

with the shot it only last a few seconds, but the drilling seems to last an eterntiy.  the money thing stinks too.  our insurance only covers half, so this probably won't be very cheap.  i might ask if they have anything for my anxiety.  it comes and goes.  at times i feel better about it, at other times the thought of being there consumes my every thought.  

this will be the first time i take a head set and music, so with any luck it will be better.

i actually liek my dentist. young fella and a lot of the time (if the filling isn't metalic or there is just a cavity) he doesn't use a drill.  he uses a sandblasting sort of contraption.  it is awsome.  no novicane, not drilling sound, no pain--the only thig is you feel this cold sensation on your tooth, and you end up feeling like you need to wash your face from all the grit they use to do the procedure.

again thanks for all the words of support.  sloth
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 5:07:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Dental wusses of the world unite!

I haven't been to the dentist since my final physical when I EAS'd in '96. My wife is busting my balls about it, but so far I've managed to avoid it. I had a few of those long-handled fishhook-looking probes jammed in between my molars and gums by sadistic Navy dental techs and maybe I've fixated on that. I actually sent one dental tech running out of the room when I lunged up out of the chair from getting stabbed in the gums. Brrrrrrrrrr!

Sorry, I'm no help at all here. Good luck.

FMCDH
Semper Fidelis
Jarhead out.
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 5:14:17 AM EDT
[#17]
I love the smell of burning tooth dust in the morning.....[BD]

All of your teeth are belong to us! [:D]

They say the toothless are ruthless [:E]
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 5:30:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 6:18:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Oh man are you awakening bad memories!!  When I was in high school I had a root canal done by a terrible dentist.  This guy didn't know how to shoot that Zylocaine or whatever he was using.  He'd inject in the back of the mouth till it felt like he was going to pop out the back of my head and I was still not numb.  Not only did the procedure hurt the entire time, but my mouth was all swollen from all the needle punctures.  I had sweat pouring out of me the entire time and every time during that root canal.  

Many years later I found myself at the USC School of Dentistry having some work done.  They were great.  They asked if I had any anxieties and I told them about my root canal from hell story.  They took the extra time to numb the surface of the mouth before using the needle and took extra time to make sure my mouth was totally numb.  I never felt the needle break the skin.  They really took the time to tell me what they were going to do beforehand to calm me down.  

My best advice is to let them know what you are anxious of and hopefully they'll listen and really try to alleviate those fears.
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 6:54:11 AM EDT
[#20]
I hate the dentist office too. i can handle most pain, but dental pain...ouch!

However i saw a study this weekend that anestesia tends to last twice as long in the afternoon versus the morning. Something about the body's internal clock. I know it sounds weird, but it might be worth waiting untill later in the day.
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 6:56:12 AM EDT
[#21]
While the rest of medicine has advanced into the 21st Century, the dentist has remained firmly in the Middle Ages.  Pain meds seem to be the only "advancement" in memory.

Or, so it seemed when the dentist was trying to remove my last two "wisdom teeth"(where did that stupid name come from...).  As he worked with a hammer and chisel(I swear!) to loose the lower one, I kept wondering what a good idea it would have been to keep my teeth, no matter how much they were bothering me...

Drill?  That was a civilized tool compared to what they use to remove impacted teeth.

Now, go brush your teeth![;D]
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 7:01:39 AM EDT
[#22]
If I know ahead of time about major work, I ask the dentist for a prescription for a couple of Xanax. Take one about an hour before my appointment, I'm cool as can be. Had a crown done -- the first visit I was leaving fingernail marks in the chair, even though I was numb. Second visit to fit the crown, on Xanax, I nearly snoozed off, I was so relaxed. I wasn't groggy or anything, I just "didn't care" what he was doing to my teeth.
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 10:40:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Honestly, the [u]only[/u] fear I have about going to the Dentist, is that the Dentist and the Hygenist may give me something to knock me out!  I'm just afraid if they knock me out, then they will go and have fun with my body by moving my jaws up and down like a puppet and say funny words.   [u]Or[/u] they may even have more fun by pulling my pants down and playing with my privates!  Oh, no!  [:O]

[b]-RoadDog[/b][img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/Gif/scooby1.gif[/img]
View Quote

[b]Roaddog[/b], thanks for a damn good laugh.  I haven't had a good one all day. [whacko]

Mike
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 11:09:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Dental quote:

"Is it safe?"

Link Posted: 7/3/2001 11:16:14 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hrmmm...

Usually I have to pay extra for that...
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 11:55:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Sloth,

When I was about 11 or 12 I just told myself the dentist wasn't going to kill me (I didn't know it could happen, LOL!!!). At any rate, I then told myself I could stand anything he dished-out. So I relaxed. When I relaxed, my pain threshhold increased, and actually, I've had nothing except pleasant experiences in the dental office since that time.

In your particular case, if your tooth already has a large restoration in it, chances are you should feel very little as your dentist just shaves a 3-5 degree angle around the outside of your tooth to place the crown... unless you have recurrent decay. Even if there is recurrent decay and the dentist needs to remove the existing restoration, your pulp chamber should be smaller, so you should feel less pain than you did when the tooth was initially restored. At any rate, if you relax, things will go well.

Uhhh...BTW... I also went to dental school... but that was much later...LOL!!!!
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 11:57:30 AM EDT
[#27]
whooo hey!!!! its over with!!!!  well i only had a buildup done today, i still have to go back in a month or two to have the crown done, but until then...

i must say the head set with jimmy buffeett blasting made things a bit easier to handle.  the doc but so much anasthetic in my left ear is numb-cool...

i can't tell yall how much more relieved i am right now.  ton of bricks--at least for 3 or four weeks.  i had the receptionist scghedule my next visit with my wife.  i won't know it here until it here.  

life is good... sloth
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 2:04:59 PM EDT
[#28]
I'd rather not talk about it.
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 2:36:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Erasmus:
Dental quote:"Is it safe?"
View Quote

My favorite one is "OOPS!"
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 5:18:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
i have to go get a crown on a tooth that has a monster filling in it.  i have been having the worse sense of anxiety over this for the past three weeks or so.  i'm trying to find ways to overcome this anxiety.  anyone with any tips?  i'm going to take a walk man and listen to some buffet, but other then that not much else i can think of.  
i was going to goto the range and shoot some clays afterwards (sort of something top look forward to) but the stupid range is closed.  so much for that idea.  i'm worried i won't geta wink of sleep tonight.  anyone else have this problem?  what do yall do?  sloth
View Quote

Right up my alley.  I'm one of those Evil Tooth Doctors.  If you were my patient, I'd happily sedate your ass.  Hell, I don't even like having my teeth worked on, and I sure as hell know [i]none[[/i] of my patients do.  If they said they did, I'd stamp their chart [b]masochist[/b] and kick'em out.

Seriously:  tell your dentist and ask him for a sedation option.  Nitrous oxide alone is an OK option, but its effects are a little variable person to person.  However, when coupled with some valium, it makes the patient's life, and consequently my life a lot easier. For really anxious patients, we use intravenous sedation techniques. You don't care what goes on, it's all good.  Plus, I'm finding that if anxious patients can make it through a few appointments without any bad memories, their anxiety begins to decrease. It's getting increasingly hard to find a dentist who offers nitrous oxide (OSHA scares for employees) much less oral or IV sedations.  I personally think the 'Cater to Cowards' thing is B.S.  
Other things my patients tell me help:  the WalkMan like you mentioned.  That and being able to grab the dentist by the tight and curlies if there is pain.  Good Luck

The Doctor
[url]http://www.drhaddix.com[/url]

Link Posted: 7/3/2001 5:57:06 PM EDT
[#31]
I just went to the dentist last year after not going since 1988! I had a a few cavitys and my front tooth was going to be a dead issue if I had not gone. I was tired of not smiling anymore and I just sucked it up an made the trip in and she did her thing for my tooth. BTW she also pulled two lower wisdom teeth as well. The left one came right out....Hey I thought that was not bad!......then came the left one, It had a hooked root! It hung on like a turd in a cats ass!
I still have two on the top to go but that is another day. I still wanna hide under my bed when I think of going back to have them done.

So just go in and you will feel like a million when you get it done. It's just a short time out of your day. You can do it if I can.

Greg
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 7:56:47 PM EDT
[#32]

Right up my alley.  I'm one of those Evil Tooth Doctors.  If you were my patient, I'd happily sedate your ass.  Hell, I don't even like having my teeth worked on, and I sure as hell know [i]none[[/i] of my patients do.  If they said they did, I'd stamp their chart [b]masochist[/b] and kick'em out.

Seriously:  tell your dentist and ask him for a sedation option.  Nitrous oxide alone is an OK option, but its effects are a little variable person to person.  However, when coupled with some valium, it makes the patient's life, and consequently my life a lot easier. For really anxious patients, we use intravenous sedation techniques. You don't care what goes on, it's all good.  Plus, I'm finding that if anxious patients can make it through a few appointments without any bad memories, their anxiety begins to decrease. It's getting increasingly hard to find a dentist who offers nitrous oxide (OSHA scares for employees) much less oral or IV sedations.  I personally think the 'Cater to Cowards' thing is B.S.  
Other things my patients tell me help:  the WalkMan like you mentioned.  That and being able to grab the dentist by the tight and curlies if there is pain.  Good Luck

The Doctor
[url]http://www.drhaddix.com[/url]

[/quote]

Nice website, wish your office was a few hundred miles closer to me!  [;)]
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 9:57:38 PM EDT
[#33]
doc--i do like that web site of yours.  when i graduated from college i tried to find work there in charlottesville (all i was able to find was here inindiana).  i've lived in a couple different regions of the country, but none can match the beauty of the greene/madison counties just north of you.  it is almost heaven...rolling hills, striking mountain ranges, bold streams sprawling fields/meadows.  almost perfect.  sloth  
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 10:19:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Had three teeth pulled along with periodontal surgery last Thursday.  Dental assistant said "your pressure seems to be a little high.  Are you worried about the surgery?"  I still can't eat anything hard or crunchy.  Still need to do the uppers.
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 11:10:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Had my Panorex x-ray done today. 4 wisdom teeth come out in 2 weeks. Got prescription for Percocet, gonna have gas and IV drip during surgery. Glock armed wife will be present. No anxiety. If your concerned about getting fondled, do what I do. Get a dentist of the opposite sex that's attractive. If i get fondled, I'm gonna want a smoke afterwards!
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 9:37:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Ever wonder why the HOT hygienists never ask you how you want the chair adjusted.

I don't like going to the dentist probably because of all the traumatic experiences as a kid, but I learned that if I need to go, I go.

For those of you who PUT IT OFF, LOOK OUT for INFECTION.  Had a wisdom tooth pulled when about 22, no problem other than an irritation with some low pain for about a week after.

Next time, and I didn't put it off because all of a sudden it hurt like hell, dentist gave me big slug of novicaine with no effect, gave me a second slug and still no effect.  Told him to hit it again and he said if 2 didn't do it that 10 wouldn't do it because of the infection.  Said could put me on antibiotics for 4 or 5 days but pain would still be there, or yank it out.  The guy was good so I said go for it. He said hang on.
Took a scalpel and cut 1/2 in. of gum, then popped it out with pliars----about 20 seconds.

Wondered if I'd walk off with the arms of the chair because I sure worked them over.  Don't take any thing by mouth for 4 hours they told me--2 Darvon and 3 big shots of scotch went down the hatch as soon as I got in the door.  Pain left in about 20 minutes and nary a problem or pain after that.

Kid dentist about people rather come see me than him--and I'm the undertaker.

Powderburner

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top