Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/2/2001 5:24:08 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 5:42:35 PM EDT
[#1]
The only time I am tempted to litter is when I am camping/hiking/hunting.

I just resist temptation by remembering what my buddy(a marine) told me. "If you leave any trash, *they* will know what you have been eating, where you have been and what your habits are."

Who says paranoid advice is useless?
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 5:45:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, that boils my blood too. There is really no reason for it, other than being a lazy lard ass.

If I can't find a garbage can, I keep the garbage in my truck till the end of the week and then clean it out at home, by that time my truck smells real horrible [:)]  

If I happen to see some rude f*ck throwing garbage out his/her window of coarse they get one of these  [-!-!-]
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 6:06:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Few things are worse!   You have to look at that shit the next time you come by...

Link Posted: 7/2/2001 6:07:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Yup, irritates me to no end. I've often wished, I had a video camera dash mounted, ala police cruisers, to turn some of these low lifes in. [pissed]

(edited because I have a hard time spelling [spank])
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 6:20:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I for one hate it when people throw cigarettes out the window. I usually honk the horn at them a few times. My younger brother used to get really irate with litter bugs. He would yell at them if he caught up to them at a red light. Once he was with me on a trip to Lake Santa Fe north of Gainesville, Florida. He was drinking some water in a big plastic cup,probably around 40 ounces. We were traveling on a two lane road and there was a women in front of that threw out a cigarette. He was pretty pissed off. We later came to a red light. We were in the left turn lane and she was going straight. Her window was down and he threw the almost full cup of water into her window and said something about littering. I was almost as shocked as she was. I wonder if she ever threw out another cigarette. She was soaked as we turned left.

No Slack!
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 6:23:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, that pisses me off, too!   [:(!]  I've seen a lot of other young people litter stuff like fast-food bags,wrappers, and even soda cups right out of their cars while driving.  Or they would eat at the side of the curb and leave the trash in the street after eating.   I remember when I saw a group of people in a convertible with the top down throwing out fast-food trash/beer holders by the loads-full while the passengers had their feet/legs out the sides of the vehicle.  Not to sound racist, but they were speaking a foreign language and had the look of possibly being resent arrivals to this country.  Many generations of my family was born in the U.S. and to see that made me pissed off!   [:(!]  Don't have anything against immigrants, but please respect this country while you're here.  Heck, many of my good friends at the university are foreign-born and they have shown many times they love their new country and have learned to treat it with the respect.  

Haven't seen any Soccor Moms litter, yet.  But I have seen them park in handicapped spaces without a permit countless times while the kids are screaming and she has a cell glued to her ear.   I guess I don't read the signs because it must read, "Handicapped and Soccor Mom parking only" or something like that.

Back to that convertible, seeing that stupidity made me wish I had a "guided missile" feature on my GPS.  I would love to launch a few missiles in the direction of that converible! Launch!  Shhhhh!  Kaboom!!  Oops!  Sorry!  [(:)]

[b]-RoadDog[/b]
 [img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/Gif/scooby1.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 6:45:15 PM EDT
[#7]
I keep a bag in the back seat. How hard is it to just put it in a bag insted of throwing it out the window.
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 6:47:08 PM EDT
[#8]
It shows a total disregard for other people and their sensibilities. I don't care what they do in Philly, but up here in beautiful WA State, I can't handle it!
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 7:08:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I see the worst of it, my family owns a canoe rental on the Spring River in AR.  You would not believe how much crap people throw in the river.  We pay 4 guys every week to float it and pick up trash, no other canoe rental does this and there are several of them besides us.  When people complain about rental prices they need to think about what this costs us, and the bad publicity does'nt do us any good either.  The river is'nt worth anything if people can't use it, but the public is'nt doing themselves any favors either.
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 9:20:40 PM EDT
[#10]
I live in downstate NY and I can't tell you what pigs live here. I hate NY but I am ashamed on how filthy this place is. You walk out of a store and the sidewalk has all kinds of gum stains on it. The trash is all over cups,wrappers ect. What a pigs sty. When I point it out to people that live here they say I am just bashing NY.Well they are right if it was a great place to live I would say it but it sucks and I must tell the truth.
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 9:29:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Yeah,
especially little
turds that kick over trash cans.
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 9:41:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Do you pick up your empty shell cases after shooting? I'll bet most of us dont, exspecially when hunting in deep woods, is this a harmful form of littering??
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 11:17:17 PM EDT
[#13]
This pisses me off to no end.Twice times people riding with me have thrown stuff out the window.Twice I have stopped made them get out and pick it up.
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 1:04:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 1:49:00 AM EDT
[#15]
The litterbugs who are the general public littering as they do on the city streets don't bother me that much. What really makes me sick are the shooters who shoot up trash and leave it. It is a universal fact that a large percentage of shooters mess up any remote area where they legally or illegally shoot.

If that seems unfair just look around you. I've seen it my entire life and yet I am a shooter. I abhor this practice of junk shooting so much that I myself pick up everything I bring and try not to leave any trace, I even pick up after others. I am embarrassed by this behavior and the image of illiterate rednecks in pickup trucks and rebel flags come to my mind. What a negative image! But that's what public perception must be.  
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 2:11:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Atomic Punk, some people from the South could take offense to that, lucky I'm an illiterate, Rebel flag waving redneck or it might offend me too![moon]
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 5:05:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Formerly coming from Oregon which may be the cleanest state in the nation it kills me to see people toss their trash. Come up to any stop sigh and you will see hundreds of cigarette butts. I really hate it when this happens!
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 6:11:25 AM EDT
[#18]
yeah, NY is bad when it comes to trash. if its not those punk-kids, its the elderly! my girlfriends grandmother was driving us somewhere, and she just threw an empty soda can out the window, like it was nothing! we both expressed our shock and concern, and she acted clueless! i really believe that she just didn't know any better! she said she's done it all her life! i guess people like her just didn't pay attention to the whole "give a hoot, don't pollute" campaign.
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 6:38:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Yes, it's one of my greatest pet peeves.  In spite of the potential $1,000 fine a lot of people still do it here in the OCR.

I confess I am guilty of not always picking up all of my .22 LR brass.  OTOH any kind of cartridge cases in a wilderness area are a lot less obnoxious than cigarette butts on the road.  The brass takes on a nice patina and blends in with the landscape.  It can be recycled eventually.  Even shotshells look like they BELONG in the great outdoors.

My pennance for littering with .22s consists of picking up every centerfire cartridge case I see in the wilderness.  I even pick up the horrible aluminum handgun cases, Berdan primed brass, and steel 9 mm and 7.62 x 39 cases from behind the Rust Curtain.
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 6:40:38 AM EDT
[#20]
The city here is a mess, but up on the single/double lane 395 in central Kali, I didn't expect it.  Friend and I are driving home and the car in front throws out a big white fast food bag.  I then mentioned that this is why all cars should be equipped with double barrel shotguns.  Spot a litterbug, drive up to their side and a double blast of 000 buck does the trick.
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 7:29:35 AM EDT
[#21]
That's my one problem with most smokers. I say smoke em if you got em, but dont throw them out the window. Those filters are made of fiberglass. Its not like its going to biodegrade. Not to mention all the brush fires that are related to butts.
BTW did u know that throwing something from your car at another car is a FELONY?
Be carefull with your revenge! :-)
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 7:31:43 AM EDT
[#22]
I used to live across the street from an overlook that has a nice view of the city.  It burned me up when I'd walk out there and see broken beer bottles, used condoms, etc.  But one night, I was walking a friend out of my house, and when I opened the gate, I found some jackass pissing on the side of my house.  I said something to him, and as he got in his friend's car, they  dumped a six pack container with empty beer bottles onto the street and started to drive off.  Now I'm just raging mad, and screaming at them to get their asses back and pick up the trash as they sped off.  Turns out, they came back around the block before I had a chance to pick up the bottles.  I stood there and watched as the passenger opens his door (I thought he was going to pick them up...stupid, I know), picks up a broken bottle and throws it at me.  I put my arms up, and got cut on both of my forearms (but it would have hit my head).  Well, one of the annoying things about living in a historic neighborhood is that there are many loose bricks in the sidewalks.  But that night I was glad they were there.  As they sped off, I procured one of these bricks and winged it at the car as hard as I could.  However, in my utter rage I over threw and it landed in front of them (I think it bounced as they ran over it and hit the underside of the car...hopefully did some damage).  Man, was I livid.  I picked up the bottles, threw them in the trash, and grabbed a beer from the fridge before tending to my gashed arms.  I would give anything to run into those assholes again.  [pissed]
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 7:40:00 AM EDT
[#23]
The cigarette butts really bug me, especially here in AZ where a large grass fire is only one arsehole away!

To me littering just displays to all others that said litterer is the most lazy self serving arse bag on the planet.
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 7:51:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 8:15:08 AM EDT
[#25]
What amazes me is the number of people who will throw trash out of their vehicle right in front of a fully marked criuser. This has happened to me probably 30 or so times in the last 16 years. Then they have the nerve to act like they didn't do anything wrong when you pull them over.
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 8:56:25 AM EDT
[#26]
I don't think most people around here have done that kind of crap since the 1960s.  Maybe that just has to do with my age as I grew out of being a dumb kid.  Slob shooters have caused several shooting spots to get shut down.  I really bugs me to see shot up TV sets, oil cans, etc., left in spots that I enjoy shooting.  It's only a matter of time 'til they get closed down.  I take everything except the slugs that go downrange home.  OK, sometimes I leave a few 22 casings, but no centerfire cases, boxes, or junk... ever.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top