Site Notices
Posted: 6/30/2001 8:01:02 PM EDT
[url]http://www.collegehumor.com/movies/autoplane.mpg[/url]
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 9:52:58 PM EDT
[#1]
[BD]
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 10:03:12 PM EDT
[#2]
One day we'll have airplanes that fly themselves...

And Aviator will be out of a job.
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 10:37:38 PM EDT
[#3]
From the looks of the video I would say Aviators job is pretty damn secure.
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 10:46:33 PM EDT
[#4]
There are already planes which a pilot can't fly by himself, like the Stealth.
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 10:59:18 PM EDT
[#5]
The first flight of a civilian airliner that used no pilot inputs over the course of the whole flight took place back in 1994. While it was still fully manned the tecnology test was a sucsess ans autopilot flew the whole way. Take-off, landing and all(except the taxi.
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 11:19:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Hmmmm, guess that plane was hanging around guns too long?

It learned how to fly all by itself just like guns learn to shoot all by themself.
Link Posted: 7/1/2001 2:53:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Ah, AirBus quality.

Shall we poll the passengers about their opinion of Fly By Wire...?
[xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(]
[xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(]

I was gonna put 100 on here, but you get the
idea[;D]

Link Posted: 7/1/2001 3:34:50 AM EDT
[#8]
They said "fully automated plane". That Airbus was not fully automated. It's the first fly-by-wire airliner. There were two pilots onboard. I recall that the pilot claimed he advanced the throttles but the engines refused to accelerate.
Link Posted: 7/1/2001 5:34:42 PM EDT
[#9]
We already have airplanes that fly by themselves without a pilot on board.  They are called  RPVs (Remote Pilotless Vehicles.)  They had them in 94 when I left Gov. (DOD) employment.   We were using them for recon. mostly and experimenting for weapons delivery.   [:)]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top